Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boris in hospital

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Horrible little *******

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Until HE gets the virus and everyone changes their opinion and starts wishing him well, of course...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
TBH, we are not really going to get accurate and up to date reports, the government have been " economical " with the truth at best for the last 10 days and have only grudgingly admitted the increasing seriousness of Johnson's condition in banal,general " Nothing to See Here " terms.. Hope he pulls through but , the general population will be last to know any real time updates.

I'd imagine his family etc would want to know anything before the public gets to hear. Unless there's a material change we don't need to know. The questioning of Prof Whitty yesterday was ridiculous, and crass. I hope the **** from the Sun who asked whether Boris 'was taking up a valuable NHS bed' feels good about himself.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yes, what is clearly at the front of everyone's minds is mutually assured destruction. The Mail and Express readers lap him up. I bet there are a few on here that hang on his every word too...

Can't stand him, never watch, never listen.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Dominic Raab is his deputy.

But, it was made clear that Boris delegated authority to him. Going back to the west wing thing, the Vice president is the President's deputy. What is supposed to happen is the president is supposed to sign a letter officially handing the authority to his vice president (or the next in line if he doesn't have one), if he can't do that, then there are constitutional methods to officially pass authority to the next in line.

If Boris doesn't give authority to Raab (as he has been reported to have done in this instance) how does that authority get officially passed on?

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
But, it was made clear that Boris delegated authority to him. Going back to the west wing thing, the Vice president is the President's deputy. What is supposed to happen is the president is supposed to sign a letter officially handing the authority to his vice president (or the next in line if he doesn't have one), if he can't do that, then there are constitutional methods to officially pass authority to the next in line.

If Boris doesn't give authority to Raab (as he has been reported to have done in this instance) how does that authority get officially passed on?

I don't think that anyone who was alive then (like me) will ever forget that dreadful scene on Airforce 1 when Lyndon Johnson was sworn in as president with Jackie Kennedy standing near him in blood stained clothes. But they do have a procedure,

Never mind, we British will muddle thrlough somehow...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

There has to be a default protocol in place for the order of succession shirley? What if, say, Margaret Thatcher hadn't survived the IRA Grand Hotel bombing?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

It's not even clear Boris has authority to pass his power to his Deputy. I think that's why so far it's been "passed certain responsibilities to Raab". There isn't actually an Office of Deputy PM is there, so constitutionally we're on very murky ground, and various deputy PMs have had different office titles, like First Secretary of State, or Minister for the Cabinet Office to actually give the deputy an official office.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There has to be a default protocol in place for the order of succession shirley? What if, say, Margaret Thatcher hadn't survived the IRA Grand Hotel bombing?

I think the order of seniority is Chancellor, Foreign Secretary, Home Secretary.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
1. Get well soon, Spence.

2..Johnson is at higher risk than average because the stats show that, er, overweight older men have generally worse outcomes from this.

3. Naming Raab as his deputy was a smart move as it will ensure that absolutely everyone will want him to pull through.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

My understanding of this is that all the time the PM is conscious he will pass authority to someone to deputise first him who is Raab, if the worst now happens and Boris should pass away only the sitting Cabinet can elect a successor.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I'd imagine his family etc would want to know anything before the public gets to hear. Unless there's a material change we don't need to know. The questioning of Prof Whitty yesterday was ridiculous, and crass. I hope the **** from the Sun who asked whether Boris 'was taking up a valuable NHS bed' feels good about himself.

Yeah I had to do a double take when he said that, it's a pretty nasty thing to say. Sadly the written press took nothing from Leveson.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

They were talking about it on BBC news last night. Unlike the US we don't have a pecking order written in law. The person speaking seemed to think the cabinet would govern by committee and certain specific functions would be delegated, as they have been with Raab.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
people are overlooking that the PM is not the head of state, thats the Queen, who appoints new PM if necessary.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here