Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boris in hospital

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
decisions are having to be made about whether it’s sensible to even move certain very ill patients to ICU (typically the elderly and wouldn’t apply to Boris).

I posted on another thread yesterday that a doctor from Lewisham Hospital was on 5Live yesterday morning and he was talking about this.

When it comes to full-on intubation, such is the invasive nature of what is involved, decisions are taken on whether it's worthwhile (that sounds brutal, but it means in terms of chances of success, and ongoing quality of life) to undertake the procedure or not. He was keen to stress that this isn't a Covid-19 things, but it's standard process for particular patients, typically elderly with health complications.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Separate post for Boris...that shocked me this morning.. I really want him to recover. I know that some disagree but I think we need him right now.
And on a human level , anybody, PM or tramp... I feel for them.. this f### virus must be beaten , and Boris is an expectant father
Must be hell for the families involved..

Grrrr...

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I in turn find that a rather odd comment. I'm one that can't stand the bloke and his politics but I certainly don't wish him ill health. Seems to me that you're just using the situation to take a pot shot at those you see on the left.

Can you please explain the mentality to me. "I'm not a Tory but.........."

Are people really that fearful of others thinking they voted conservative because they showed some sympathy for a person who's been hospitalised?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
8 days for me and I feel terrible. Did NHS111 test and they said phone for ambulance. I did and a nurse called me back. Since I'm not having trouble breathing or bleeding I should remain at home for the time being. My fever is there and I haven't moved much from bed. Haven't even had a bath In in this time just to weak.
Starting to lose my appetite. I said To my missus I'm not confident of seeing this out. She needs to stay away from me as much as possible as she is certainly in the vulnerable section.
I've never experienced anything like this. The fever and illness comes in waves.
At this moment I'm breathing fine.

Edit: just seen latest update. Good luck in hospital.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Can you please explain the mentality to me. "I'm not a Tory but.........."

Are people really that fearful of others thinking they voted conservative because they showed some sympathy for a person who's been hospitalised?

Always a range of views on any situation at first, then as the situation changes, sometimes it develops in to " Herd Morality " where criticism is stifled because a high proportion of the commentators in the thread start to act as editors.

This sort of thing turns up quite regularly at the top of political debate and also in relation to The Royals, It's quite ok to be as scathing, vile and defamatory as you want on either side of the debate until a little humanity creeps back in to their brains and they then have to prefix a post with a little caveat along the lines of " I'm not a Republican/Royalist/ Tory/ Labour voter but..." Normal service is usually quickly restored though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Pretty stark article from The Guardian:

"Boris Johnson’s move to the intensive care unit (ICU) of St Thomas’ hospital signals that he has severe Covid-19. Oxygen was available through a mask on the ward he was admitted to on Sunday, but the move to intensive care on Monday strongly suggests that was not enough to help him with the breathing problems caused by the viral pneumonia that the virus triggers."

Just chatting with my daughter.....she said they haven’t moved anyone to ICU unless they really are very, very poorly (certainly not as a ‘precaution’ - as a minimum it’ll be because extensive support and monitoring is needed with the ability to provide rapid extra care)..........decisions are having to be made about whether it’s sensible to even move certain very ill patients to ICU (typically the elderly and wouldn’t apply to Boris).
Meanwhile, a report from The Times says

"Mr Johnson, 55, had not been intubated — where a tube is inserted into the windpipe before ventilation — but needed four litres of oxygen in intensive care, sources at the hospital said. The normal threshold for intensive care is 15 litres, suggesting that he was in better health than such patients generally."

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Has there been an official medical update yet on our Prime Minister ?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Has there been an official medical update yet on our Prime Minister ?

From the Beeb :

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson is not on a ventilator in intensive care but has received oxygen support, says Cabinet Office Minister Michael Gove.

Gove said Downing Street will inform the country if there is any change in the prime minister's condition.

"The teams at St Thomas' are some of the finest doctors in the country," Gove told BBC Radio 4.

"The doctors, nurses and other staff will be making appropriate medical decisions and have our full support."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here