Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Booing The German National Anthem. Woudya?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm not in favour of booing national anthems of most of the teams we play against because we have no reason for it.

GERMANY - Now that's a different ball game altogether! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

COME ON ENGLAND!

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

SPOT ON - German ****s

You're missing the point. For quite a few other nations it IS 'part of the banter'. The two ARE comparable. Some people get very offended when they hear their nation being dissed - there's enough neanderthals who flare up if anyone mocks England.

I think both forms of behaviour are 'unaccpetable' and gathering from the comments on this thread there are a few others who feel the same as me - and sadly a load who don't. Seems to be the thicker ones though (on the whole).

I don't believe for one second there is any kind of racist element behind it. Not from the English fans anyhow. Sure it's disrespectful but all fans boo songs/anthems or anything associated in the stadiums with rival teams. It's done to wind up opposition fans and possibly intimidate visiting players which is why I'd put it in the bracket of inter-rivalry banter. Booing a national anthem is a million miles away from making monkey noises.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I;m watching it on TV. Is it alright if I boo their anthem from my armchair ?

Booing other countries anthems or not, I have NEVER heard England fans make monkey noises. I don't think the two are compareable.

quite commonplacce and regular during the 1980s when in a half empty wembley it was all too audible especially when John Barnes got the ball.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I;m watching it on TV. Is it alright if I boo their anthem from my armchair ?

You could at least make the effort to stand and do wanker signs if you're going to boo :thumbsup:

unnameable

Feb 25, 2004
Oxford/Lancing
He said (if you'd bothered to read it) that booing the anthems was 'part of the banter'. I said you could say the same about making monkey noises - some would consider that 'part of the banter'.

Now do you see it?

A few years ago, at an England under-21 game (it was in Oslo, I think), a section of the England fans made monkey chants at Paul Parker and a couple of other black players in the England side.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
No, I have lived and worked with Germans, on any occasion that my National Anthem was played they accorded it the appropriate level of respect...as I did for theirs.

Sorry, but I have always regarded those who boo national anthems as amoeba living at the bottom of the pond.

I would boo "God save the queen", which is REALLY wank!

Singing patriotism for the Fatherland, the home of your ancestors, the land that breathes the spirit of your every thought, the ground that will accept your body for evermore, makes absolute sense.
How that concept is hi-jacked, in the name of the creator of all the universe, for the benefit of one family we will never meet (and if we did, they couldn't relate to any of us!), makes absolutely zero sense - except for toadying up to and protecting the rich people with the biggest overbearing bullies as ancestors.

God save our graaaacious queen boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

No, I have lived and worked with Germans, on any occasion that my National Anthem was played they accorded it the appropriate level of respect...as I did for theirs.

Sorry, but I have always regarded those who boo national anthems as amoeba living at the bottom of the pond.

German amoeba's are right assole's they put towels on the sunbeds that are around my pond, and they will boo the English anthem tonite.

Your's, Alan the amoeba

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The irony being that our national anthem has nothing to with our country, and everything to do with one person who is a fifth generation Germanic immigrant anyway.

William IV was German? News to me.

leonidas

Go tell the Spartans
Jun 5, 2007
Surrounded by pubs
I would boo "God save the queen", which is REALLY wank!

Singing patriotism for the Fatherland, the home of your ancestors, the land that breathes the spirit of your every thought, the ground that will accept your body for evermore, makes absolute sense.
How that concept is hi-jacked, in the name of the creator of all the universe, for the benefit of one family we will never meet (and if we did, they couldn't relate to any of us!), makes absolutely zero sense - except for toadying up to and protecting the rich people with the biggest overbearing bullies as ancestors.

God save our graaaacious queen boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I share your feelings but not the booing bit. I'm no royalist and I can't for the life of me, understand why GSTQ is the British anthem, let alone the bloody English one.
Having said that I do get offended when it's booed as it is intended as an insult to my country. I know every country has its share of Knuckle draggers but I would expect the vast majority to show respect.
Would I boo the other NA? Well, no, but if I'd had enough to drink and they had booed ours and ----

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Can't be arsed to read the thread but i'm all in favour of bringing back the booing of national anthems. It's adds to the atmosphere and adds to the 'them against us' feeling. All this happy clappy shit is ruining the atmosphere at football, bring back hostility

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here