Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Booing The German National Anthem. Woudya?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Booing other countries anthems or not, I have NEVER heard England fans make monkey noises. I don't think the two are compareable.
You're missing the point. For quite a few other nations it IS 'part of the banter'. The two ARE comparable. Some people get very offended when they hear their nation being dissed - there's enough neanderthals who flare up if anyone mocks England.

I think both forms of behaviour are 'unaccpetable' and gathering from the comments on this thread there are a few others who feel the same as me - and sadly a load who don't. Seems to be the thicker ones though (on the whole).

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I was also going to say that it wasn't so long ago you heard English fans making monkey noises every week. That's now 'unaccpetable'. Anthem-booing will eventually go the same way.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I wouldn't feel insulted if we played France or Germany away and our anthem got booed.

I wouldn't do it myself these days - but I wouldn't be upset if the away section at Wembley did it.

It is not respectful - but is isn't anything to get knickers in a twist about.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I was also going to say that it wasn't so long ago you heard English fans making monkey noises every week. That's now 'unaccpetable'.

Not so long ago? 20 years?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I wouldn't feel insulted if we played France or Germany away and our anthem got booed.

I wouldn't do it myself these days - but I wouldn't be upset if the away section at Wembley did it.

It is not respectful - but is isn't anything to get knickers in a twist about.

spot on

the earlier comment about the fact it might offend some people......f*** sake , they need to get a grip if it badly offends

Il Duce

Sussex 'till I die
Aug 19, 2006
NW8
I don't know why so many people on here have such a problem with a bit of booing. Yes it is a bit rude and it is un-PC. So what? It's just a bit of fun. Stop taking everything so seriously. I would boo a national anthem. Just like I would boo a P*lace song. It's not going to kill anyone!

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
I personally don't see why people get so uppity about the booing of national anthems. You wouldn't have any qualms about booing "Glad All Over".
None at all. Germans are generally nice, decent people and far removed from the Nazi era that not doubt informs this booing nonsense. Palace, on the other hand.....:glare::lolol:

And on top of that, would you really be that offended if "God Save The Queen" was booed?

...it's the 'national anthem' but not the England anthem. Would think perpetrators small-minded, childish and pathetic (so not bothered) but can't speak for others.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Booing their anthem might have the effect of winding them up. We should do the exact opposite and applaud them. Turn it into a cauldron of love.

Then bite off their heads and shit down their necks. Lull 'em into a false sense of security and stuff.

That's what *I* would do.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Anthems shouldn't be booed, it's rude.

As for watching a bunch of overpaid primadonnas play Germany in a completely meaningless friendly. f*** that with a capital 'F'.

i don't bpoo it, but i certainly don't sing it and I unequivicolly REFUSE to stand to attention whilst it is being played.

After all, how many of you sing songs of praise to your employer............

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Has anyone bothered wondering whats the POINT of playing the National Anthems before games anyway, or is it just me ? You invariably get some embarrassing, jowel-wobbling operatic freakshow performing a tedious, dreary DIRGE that drags on and on, while the camera drifts along the two squads of players giving us all a super-close-up widescreen panoramic view of the inside of their nostrils.

All we want to do is get the frigging GAME started. We KNOW who we;re playing ffs, so just skip the crap and get on with it so we can all get bored out of our skulls for the next two hours before f***ing off on the tube so we can begin trying to work out why we even BOTHERED in the first place.

Oh, and get rid of those pointless ugly KIDS as well while we;re at it. We need to do away with all this pomp and pagentry crap and strip it down to what it is we;re THERE for - a game of bloody football.

Christ.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Booing National Anthems shows a lack of respect, so seeing as people don't seem to have much respect for each other these days I guess it's totally understandable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here