Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] BOE: The UK is like a coiled spring.

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

Are you

• Better off

Votes: 66 49.6%
  • Worse off

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • About the same

Votes: 39 29.3%

• Total voters

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Amazingly enough I'm not any worse off, guess it is because my main job involves H&S compliance which has to be done if the site remains open and second job is being a Distance Learning Lecturer at a University who doesn't interface with his Students in any case.

Very aware we are lucky, Mrs Jakarta has a very good pension (as she should having been a Head Teacher for almost 20 years) we have paid off mortgage and have no significant debts, could probably knock my work on the head and still live a reasonable life but personally want to get my pension pot up to a decent figure in the next couple of years while I'm still (reasonably) happy to get up at 5AM for work!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No need to worry about that HT, it's not going to be paid of for decades.

The business model has to be adapted as it does after a war.

I am very anti debt, but this has been unavoidable and we will adapt and grow. The key is sticking together.

:lolol:

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Saved a lot on commuting, parking, taxis etc but offset by WFH costs including gas, electric, water etc.

A definite saving but getting boring. Happy to get back out spending.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
I'm wealthier than last February purely because I got a job last July, I was previously out of one for 9 months. So that must skew the poll somewhat.

Congrats. Must have been tough. A mate of mine was made redundant a year ago. Still struggling to find a job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Saved a lot on commuting, parking, taxis etc but offset by WFH costs including gas, electric, water etc.

A definite saving but getting boring. Happy to get back out spending.

http://https://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2020/04/martin-lewis--working-from-home-due-to-coronavirus--claim-p6-wk-/

Don’t forget to claim your tax relief rebate from WFH. You can claim for a whole year even if you’ve worked just the one day.

I knew this already but the pandemic has illustrated how much I spent on football - season tickets for me and my 2 lads; food and drink plus a healthy number of away games each season.

Luckily my job seems secure so I’m actually better off as we are just not spending any money although I’d prefer ‘back to normal’ than a bit of extra money in the bank. I am very aware that i am fortunate. About 10 years ago I decided to make a career change to a sector that offered more stability. If I’d stayed in the previous sector - where I’d worked for 20 years -I would be truly ****ed now.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Point of order here, is there any " spring" that is not actually coiled?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
is a spring that has sprung still a spring .......and what's the difference between sprung and sprang is it simply plural vs singular .

anyway for every coiled fiscal spring i would suggest there is a burned out financial wheelie bin / basket case .....speaking metaphorically of course.

all very well having cash to spend but many businesses have gone under due to restrictions buy govt.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
is a spring that has sprung still a spring .......and what's the difference between sprung and sprang is it simply plural vs singular .

anyway for every coiled fiscal spring i would suggest there is a burned out financial wheelie bin / basket case .....speaking metaphorically of course.

all very well having cash to spend but many businesses have gone under due to restrictions buy govt.
Spring v sprang is a conundrum ? Had terrible issues a few years back, I used to fish with a pal called Doug, and we would dig our own lug worm for bait. On Monday a fellow fisherman asked if I had fished that weekend and where did we dig the bait.... So my reply was " Me and Doug dag... Er no, me and Doug dug... Er that can't be right"

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Spring v sprang is a conundrum ? Had terrible issues a few years back, I used to fish with a pal called Doug, and we would dig our own lug worm for bait. On Monday a fellow fisherman asked if I had fished that weekend and where did we dig the bait.... So my reply was " Me and Doug dag... Er no, me and Doug dug... Er that can't be right"

"Doug and I dug" or indeed "We dug"...

:thumbsup:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
"Doug and I dug" or indeed "We dug"...

:thumbsup:

One of Doug's nicknames was in fact " Doug Doug " as he was a bit deaf.... so we could have had " Doug Doug and I dug "

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
No need to worry about that HT, it's not going to be paid of for decades.

The business model has to be adapted as it does after a war.

I am very anti debt, but this has been unavoidable and we will adapt and grow. The key is sticking together.

Anti-debt? This lot in charge are piling on the debt like no tomorrow. Fiscal responsibility has gone out of the window

Their best hope is to inflate our way out of it, take care of your savings folks

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Wine and takeaways have replaced holidays in the last year, planned a few for this year though (may or may not happen obviously)
Good point re driving - have driven 12 miles so far this year so car expenses are quite limited 😂😂 Did take the wife’s 14 year old Hyundai out yesterday and thrashed it up and down the A23 for a bit though because the battery was flat
Less income ? Hah. No income...........took redundancy in September and not working

You drove a car to charge the battery? that genius :) not exactly the best and cheapest way to do it, but at least it was an essential journey.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
You drove a car to charge the battery? that genius :) not exactly the best and cheapest way to do it, but at least it was an essential journey.

If he needs it in an emergency and it starts, he’d be fairly satisfied that indeed it was an essential journey [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
If he needs it in an emergency and it starts, he’d be fairly satisfied that indeed it was an essential journey [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It was reference that it would have been far easier to stick a charger on it rather that the grief of driving it around. With this cold weather assuming the heater was on with all the other electrical gizmos the charge put in on a 20 mins drive would be limited.
Just tickled me the inefficiency of it :)

D

Deleted member 2719

Anti-debt? This lot in charge are piling on the debt like no tomorrow. Fiscal responsibility has gone out of the window

Their best hope is to inflate our way out of it, take care of your savings folks

Investing in businesses throughout the country is a different thing though. I bet there are thousands that would be claiming universal credit and mental health help now without the INVESTMENT that they have given.
I can not physically count how many business owners that said without the support they have received that they would have been destroyed financially and mentally.

How do you think Labour would have dealt with it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here