Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bobby Williamson Sacked

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
dont think it's a "big blow" at all, they've lost there manager. Whoever comes in is hardly going to be given millions to transform them . There chairman gambled on signing 6 or 7 players in the summer. I think whoever comes in will apart from a couple of exceptions largely have to work with what he's got which although early days did not look anywhere near good enough when we played them.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Dougal said:
dont think it's a "big blow" at all, they've lost there manager. Whoever comes in is hardly going to be given millions to transform them . There chairman gambled on signing 6 or 7 players in the summer. I think whoever comes in will apart from a couple of exceptions largely have to work with what he's got which although early days did not look anywhere near good enough when we played them.
I hope you're right. My suspicions are that the signing of West broke the bank and now they're screwed with no money for new signings. So the only way they can stay up is it to replace the manager for one with tactical nous and contacts in the game with which to bring in some loan signings.

Let's hope they bring in Kevin Keegan. :jester:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yeah, let's have Gregory.

Hope it's not Pulis - he does tend to know what he's doing.

Dougal said:

I agree with that, sackings of managers doesn't automatically mean good news, otherwise Millwall would be top of the league by now, not bottom. Looks a panic measure by the Plymouth board. Is Pulis any better than Williamson, their methods look pretty similar to me.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
London Irish said:
Is Pulis any better than Williamson, their methods look pretty similar to me.

Be honest, what do you actually know about the methods either manager uses?

The Laughing Bluebird said:
Be honest, what do you actually know about the methods either manager uses?

I wasn't referring to training methods, but the styles of play that both managers are well-known for, which is very direct, physical teams that don't overcomplicate. Is that not a fair assessment of the Plymouth, Stoke and Gillingham teams you have watched under these guys?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
London Irish said:
I wasn't referring to training methods, but the styles of play that both managers are well-known for, which is very direct, physical teams that don't overcomplicate. Is that not a fair assessment of the Plymouth, Stoke and Gillingham teams you have watched under these guys?

Yes, but Pulis has a better track record, IMHO...

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
London Irish said:

I wouldn't pretend to know much about Williamson, as he's spent most his managerial career in Scotland.

The point I would make is that if a new manager's methods are different in terms of training, discipline and motivation, then he can make a considerable difference to a team even if he favours the same tactics as his predecessor.

I wasn't happy to see Plymouth sack Williamson, as by all accounts they were in a right mess under him. I reckon there is every chance that somebody like Pulis could settle the side down and get better performances out of them. Which wouldn't be good news for those of us at the bottom end of the table.

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
Well at least we played Plymouth at the right time.Plymouth fans reckon Sturrock has a clause in his contract about returning south.They still have a home down there and and Sturrocks wife is unhappy up in Sheffield.Maybe it's only rumours

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
London Irish said:
Williamson is just a crap manager though. He did terribly at Hibs with the same team that came third last year. Pulis is a proven manager at this level, Williamson is a proven bad manager.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I wouldn't pretend to know much about Williamson, as he's spent most his managerial career in Scotland.

The point I would make is that if a new manager's methods are different in terms of training, discipline and motivation, then he can make a considerable difference to a team even if he favours the same tactics as his predecessor.

I wasn't happy to see Plymouth sack Williamson, as by all accounts they were in a right mess under him. I reckon there is every chance that somebody like Pulis could settle the side down and get better performances out of them. Which wouldn't be good news for those of us at the bottom end of the table.

Williamson seemed to get the job on the fact that Luggy was successful with the Janners and so they thought another Scotish manager would be the ticket.

Just it has not really worked out.

Maybe, but there are reasons too why Pulis is currently out of a job.

I'm sure every managers' personal training methods and motivational techniques are dissimilar, as are their personalities - that's pretty unknowable stuff and hard to have a meaningful conversation out. Your position seems to be - fear of the unknown. Well, fair enough - it's an unfalsifiable point.

I'm more buoyed at this stage by the arguments that suggest continuity. Plymouth did spend money over the summer, so a new manager will have little leeway.

Williamson's track record was not that appalling either, he got very good results at the beginning of last season (I know August wins particularly impress you TLB) and although they had a terrible time after Christmas, he did stabilise them quite effectively when they were in a bit of trouble with some intelligent loans.

Obviously the Plymouth board feel they are a mid-table Championship team and that's what their expectations are, and they don't feel they should be any where near a relegation scrap. I say these will be very hard expectations for a new manager to live up to given their recent history and current squad.

Last edited:

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
According to teamtalk Peter Reid is leading the race

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
London Irish said:

He got sacked from Gillingham for gross misconduct didn't he and sacked from Stoke for not using the foreign transfer market or do you know more than the rest of us ???

The results at both teams were far from relegation form at the time weren't they, so hardly footballing reasons for dismissal. Hope he doesn't get the chance to turn Plymouth round

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
London Irish said:

I presume there are. And they are more than likely the same sort of reasons that meant the likes of Micky Adams, Peter Taylor, Steve Coppell and Mark McGhee were out of jobs before they took over at Albion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here