Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bob Paisley v Alex Ferguson

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Doesnt the fact that Ferguson has been around for so long speak volumes about how good he is? And lets not forget he lead ABERDEEN to the Scottish title and won them a European Cup!

No, he didn't. He won them a European Cup Winners' Cup - admittedly a tremendous achievement, but not the big one.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We didnt get £900k for Lawrenson as Case was valued at £440k so we only received £450K and I read that Dalgleish cost less than £400k which was the amount of tax Liverpool would have paid had they not signed him after selling Keegan to HAMBURG and with their normal trading. When ever a good player came on the market Liverpool bought them so that other teams couldnt and played them in the reserves. One who springs to mind was Mc Given ? McNiven? or similar from a scottish club who never played for the first team, but was highly sort after.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Liverpool

Dalglish £500k
Lawro £900k
Wark £440k

These were all BARGAINS

Fergie this season has spent THIS season alone

Nani £17m
Anderson £14m
Hargreaves £17m
Tevez (Loan for 1 year then £30m)
Kuczak £5m

United can afford to make expensive mistakes (step forward countless goalkeepers, Veron) and pay the top wages , Liverpool under Paisley rarely did so.....The Albion were paying higher wages than Liverpool in the early 80's for example.

Paisley also had the grace to talk to the BBC!

:clap: Paisley has the better record, especially in Europe, and was a gentleman and great ambassador for his club and the game as a whole.

He retired at the top so is covered on that score too....the question is: if he took the helm earlier, just how well might he have done?

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
And when he did, he didn't rant, he didn't apply pressure on refs about timekeeping, he didn't play psychological mind games with other managers, he didn't accuse any other team of 'cheating their manager'. In short, he had class which Ferguson will go to his grave lacking.

Ferguson is not fit to lick the dead man's boots clean.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Re: Euro Cup vs CL, it should be said that although you have a few tougher teams to play nowadays, you only ever had one shot (two legs) at knocking out opponents, whereas teams now can lose a few and still win the tournament.

A different discipline perhaps, but certainly as tough or tougher than now.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Re: Euro Cup vs CL, it should be said that although you have a few tougher teams to play nowadays, you only ever had one shot (two legs) at knocking out opponents, whereas teams now can lose a few and still win the tournament.

Yep. Look at Newcastle for example. They lost three games in the group stages of a European Cup tournament and still qualified for the knockout stage. In the Paisley era, you lost two games, you were out. If you lost one and won one that could still be it...you had to be on your game every single time you played, unless you'd thrashed your opposition heavily in the first leg.

A team of Newcastle's standard in the European Cup in the first place (and I'm aware it was a few seasons back but it still counts as the 'modern era') gives the lie that the overall quality is higher now - maybe the very best teams are better than then, because the good players are concentrated into fewer clubs, but the overall standard is no better I'd say.

Last edited:

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
As Beachy has already said. When Ferguson won the chumpions league they finished second in the league the year before.

Liverpool won it 4 times as CHAMPIONS of their own country playing against the CHAMPIONS of the other countiries in Europe.

On that basis alone the only team left in the chumpions league now that are CHAMPIONS are man utd.

Come back the days when the game wasnt governed by money

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
To be honest, if Ferguson won the Champions League 10 times in a row, there would still be plenty who would find a way to devalue the achievement

That's because he is a miserable fucker! Can you imagine being locked in a lift with him and Avram Grant?

We didnt get £900k for Lawrenson as Case was valued at £440k so we only received £450K and I read that Dalgleish cost less than £400k which was the amount of tax Liverpool would have paid had they not signed him after selling Keegan to HAMBURG and with their normal trading. When ever a good player came on the market Liverpool bought them so that other teams couldnt and played them in the reserves. One who springs to mind was Mc Given ? McNiven? or similar from a scottish club who never played for the first team, but was highly sort after.

No, we actually got a cheque for £999,999.99

Lawrenson was playing for Preston in the lower half of the 2nd division in 1977 when Brighton offered £100,000 for the Irish international. Liverpool bid for him as well. Alan Mullery former Brighton manager, explains the situation: "We outbid Liverpool to get him. I phoned the Preston manager, Harry Catterick, and he told me Liverpool had offered £75,000. Mark was only 19 but when I told Mike he said: 'offer £100,000. Liverpool weren't prepared to up their bid so we got him and four years later we sold him for a million." So if Liverpool had paid a little extra for Lawro they could have got him as early as 1977. Brighton paid a record fee of £112,000 for a player that's still remembered as a Brighton legend. Maybe it wasn't the right time for him to move to a big club as Liverpool and he wouldn't have had as glittering a career.

Brighton were promoted to the old 1st division in 1979 and Lawrenson at last faced Britain's best. Brighton's financial crisis meant Lawrenson was available. Mullery wanted to hold on to his best player: "I didn't want to sell Mark but was told the club needed the money to pay an overdraft. I'd had four or five First Division clubs on the phone most Fridays wanting to know if he was available and when I was told about our money situation I phoned up Ron Atkinson and sold him to Manchester United. The only trouble was Mike sold him to Liverpool which is where he eventually went." Lawrenson was bought for a club record fee and became as well the most expensive defender in Britain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here