Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bob Paisley v Alex Ferguson

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Can't really comment on Paisley, but a couple of things haven't been taken into account re: Fergie.

1) he's been at the club 21 years. He's had to build and rebuild numerous successful teams, in order to have a prolonged period of success over the past 15 or so years.

2)
6.jpg

Bringing through those 4 - a BRILLIANT achievement.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I would also add that neither Paisley nor Ferguson put their clubs in a position where they could be so dominant (Shankly and Busby respectively, although at least Paisley was involved.

True. Paisley inherited a team that had been transformed by Shankly in the sixties. Shankly sacked 24 members of the squad, revamped the training facilities and hauled Liverpool out of Division Two, before going on to win six trophies I think. Then he handed the reigns over to his number two, Paisley.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Can't really comment on Paisley, but a couple of things haven't been taken into account re: Fergie.

1) he's been at the club 21 years. He's had to build and rebuild numerous successful teams, in order to have a prolonged period of success over the past 15 or so years.

2)
6.jpg

Bringing through those 4 - a BRILLIANT achievement.

1: He has had the cheque book to be able to do so, his best EVER signing was a relatively cheap gamble.........Sir ERIC of CANTONA

2. Not quite sure what you mean by bringing those four through, he was fortunate to have three local lads so talented, to a certain extent they fell into his lap.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
1: He has had the cheque book to be able to do so, his best EVER signing was a relatively cheap gamble.........Sir ERIC of CANTONA

2. Not quite sure what you mean by bringing those four through, he was fortunate to have three local lads so talented, to a certain extent they fell into his lap.

1) The core players - Cantona, Schmeichel, the Nevilles, Beckham, Giggs, Bruce and to a lesser extent Keane have all been relatively cheap/youth players, combined with bargains that have been a key to their success - Solskjaer, May, Sheringham. He's had the cheque book to keep going, but money has largely come through him building a team of success in the early 90's, and building teams around the cheap players.

2) I don't think you can call turning talented youngsters into four of the world's greatest footballers 'fortunate'....

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Cantona = Palace kung fu kicking genius

Beckham = One paced pretty boy with a very good right foot

Manchester United = Architects of the destruction of football as we know it when they stopped gate receipts being shared between the home and away clubs. What do the following have in common

Derby
Forest
Everton
Man City
QPR
Ipswich
Villa
Liverpool
Blackburn?

They are all clubs that I have seen either win or be runners up in the (old) first division, and who will NEVER win it again.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
2) I don't think you can call turning talented youngsters into four of the world's greatest footballers 'fortunate'....

Can I just check something......Gary Neville.........world's greatest footballers........ IN THE SAME SENTENCE? He's not the best right back in his own family, let alone the world.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Look at this. What a f***ing LEGEND. Absolute privilege to be alive to witness this guy at work. How I wish I was born a United fan:

I've played SNOOKER at his house as I used to work with his son.

He is a contradictory man, some very good traits, and some unpleasant ones too.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
How I wish I was born a United fan:

You can always convert to an MUFC fan as most others do, you don't need to live anyway near where they play either just line the pockets of Sky.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Can I just check something......Gary Neville.........world's greatest footballers........ IN THE SAME SENTENCE? He's not the best right back in his own family, let alone the world.

Here it comes - denial from a Manchester resident who hates them.

Name ten better right full backs in the world over the past ten years, who've played at the top level consistently for club and country. Cafu......Puyol...erm....you can't. They don't exist.

However, Neville is a moaning manc bastard, and therefore definitely a crap footballer. :rolleyes:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Here it comes - denial from a Manchester resident who hates them.

Name ten better right full backs in the world over the past ten years, who've played at the top level consistently for club and country. Cafu......Puyol...erm....you can't. They don't exist.

However, Neville is a moaning manc bastard, and therefore definitely a crap footballer. :rolleyes:

Thuram?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Which, arguably, is tougher to do. For example, in the old days you might only have had Madrid representing Spain, but the winners of the champions league now also have to overcome Barcelona, Valencia and Sevilla. In Italy, maybe just Milan would qualify, but now you must beat Inter, Roma, and Juventus too.

In those "old days" you only had two chances one home and one away in each game in todays league stages you can afford to be stuffed a couple of times and succeed. Ferguson's "league stages" wins may be impressive but his "knockout stages" wins are pretty poor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here