Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bob Paisley v Alex Ferguson

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Oh behave. How can Phil be better than Gary? That's an insane comment. Ok, he's maybe not the best in the world (well he's definitely not at the moment), but in his prime he wasn't too far away.

If you talk to the United coaching staff they will tell you that Phil is the better player. He is far more flexible than Gary, and paid the price for not having a 'best' position.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
paul watson :) thats obviously a joke, Gary Neville in his postion would be up there for the worlds greatest in the last 10 years

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Here it comes - denial from a Manchester resident who hates them.

However, Neville is a moaning manc bastard, and therefore definitely a crap footballer. :rolleyes:

Never said he was crap, said he wasn't a world beater, which given the lack of World Cup/European Championship medals he has seems a fair assessment.

Do I hate Manchester United, too f***ing right I do, but I was at Wembley in 1983, saw their thuggish ways on and off the pitch, and it still makes me want to VOMIT.

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
6.jpg

Bringing through those 4 - a BRILLIANT achievement.

That is a magical picture!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
True. Paisley inherited a team that had been transformed by Shankly in the sixties. Shankly sacked 24 members of the squad, revamped the training facilities and hauled Liverpool out of Division Two, before going on to win six trophies I think. Then he handed the reigns over to his number two, Paisley.

Shankly was the motivator Paisley was the tactician, yes Paisley inherited Shakley's team but he was a big part of the team already.

It should be remembered Fagen won the treble the season after Paisley retired with Paisley's team.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
What I would say about Ferguson and MUFC is that their consistancy in getting to the last 8 of the Champions League has guaranteed a 4th place for the Premiersh1te so kind of accidently gave Liverpool their chance when they won.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The league was bigger back then. They played 42 games I think plus all the cup & european games. Probably not far short of what they do now. Plus Bob Paisley was a gent not a foul mouthed whinger like Ferguson. Deserved a knighthood far more then Ferguson too.

And all cup-ties were played without penalties deciding them exept the European Cup final and FA Cup Final replay therefore more replays.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Paisley by a country mile. Don't forget he probably only used 14 or 15 players a season none of this rotation bollocks

I doubt his team played twice a week though!

In 1976/77 Liverpool played 62 games

In 1998/99 Manchester United played 63 games

We know more about the affect injuries have on players now - if that knowledge was around back then, I'm sure rotation would have been used a bit more. Players were just sent out with an injection or were prepared to run though the pain.

I'm not too sure what this proves though! Both were amazing managers who got the best out of their players in different eras.

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
Doesnt the fact that Ferguson has been around for so long speak volumes about how good he is? And lets not forget he lead ABERDEEN to the Scottish title and won them a European Cup!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here