Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Bob Dylan's 80th birthday

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I only saw the Fall once. Sussex university - around the same time. It was prety shambolic and consisted mainly of arguments between Smith and the other band members.
I never bothered going to see them again.

:lolol:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I was him on consecutive nights at Hammersmith Apollo (?) in '89. First night was atrocious, incoherent rambling. Nearly didn't bother going the second night but a friend was keen to go. Second night, magnificent.

Top work fella, getting work as a Dylan impersonator/tribute, especially if your first attempt was as bad as you suggest it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 20, 2003
Top work fella, getting work as a Dylan impersonator/tribute, especially if your first attempt was as bad as you suggest it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

took me a while, but yes :)

...it's easily done ... bad autotune and a cowboy hat

:moo:

Last edited:

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Dylan wrote the chorus in ‘73 but was turned into a full song a few decades later.

Similar with story ‘Sweet Amarillo’

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I can only think of a handful that are better than his originals though, most of them by the Byrds. Most are watered down blandness imo :shrug:

Just one example from a high ranking cover. One is brilliant, the other, well MEH middle of the road blandness to these ears :shrug:

In fairness I HATE Joni Mitchell’s voice and pretty well everything Johnny Cash does sounds the same. Sacrilege I know :smile:

The Cash vocals sound much better on the Dylan version, maybe because his voice goes with Dylan’s better

https://youtu.be/W1QO0jQ0PB0

https://youtu.be/Je4Eg77YSSA

I loved the Byrds version of Mr Tambourine man - then I heard the original. My brother suggested I bought (as a kid with saved up pocket money) the Album "Bringing it all back home". Mr Tambourine Man then (and still now) just blew me away. There was a feature in the Guardian the other day where a number of singesrs chose their favourite Dylan song, and Billy Bragg chose this, and for exactly the same lines:
"Yes to dance beneath the Diamond Sky
With one hand waving free
Silhouetted by the sea
Circled by the circus sands
With all memory and fate
Driven deep beneath the waves
Let me forget about today until tomorrow"

But the whole of the lyrics are wonderful.

I can remember reading years ago someone who said they thought Jim Morrison of the Doors was the greatest rock poet ever. I could think of plenty of others who would knock him in to a cocked hat, but Dylan reigns supreme.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
I loved the Byrds version of Mr Tambourine man - then I heard the original. My brother suggested I bought (as a kid with saved up pocket money) the Album "Bringing it all back home". Mr Tambourine Man then (and still now) just blew me away. There was a feature in the Guardian the other day where a number of singesrs chose their favourite Dylan song, and Billy Bragg chose this, and for exactly the same lines:
"Yes to dance beneath the Diamond Sky
With one hand waving free
Silhouetted by the sea
Circled by the circus sands
With all memory and fate
Driven deep beneath the waves
Let me forget about today until tomorrow"

But the whole of the lyrics are wonderful.

I can remember reading years ago someone who said they thought Jim Morrison of the Doors was the greatest rock poet ever. I could think of plenty of others who would knock him in to a cocked hat, but Dylan reigns supreme.

Absolutely.

It's as if the original and the Byrds' Mr Tambourine Man were different songs, isn't it, and in many ways they are as the Byrds only sang the first verse! I too, loved both versions and still do. What the Byrds did with it and what they started was groundbreaking and hugely influential. If I could just have one version, though, it would probably have to be Dylan's for all the lyrics. As for the 'Bringing it all Back Home' Dylan album with one acoustic and one electric side - definitely his most influential album and in some ways his best. Still wonderful.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Absolutely.

It's as if the original and the Byrds' Mr Tambourine Man were different songs, isn't it, and in many ways they are as the Byrds only sang the first verse! I too, loved both versions and still do. What the Byrds did with it and what they started was groundbreaking and hugely influential. If I could just have one version, though, it would probably have to be Dylan's for all the lyrics. As for the 'Bringing it all Back Home' Dylan album with one acoustic and one electric side - definitely his most influential album and in some ways his best. Still wonderful.

Indeed the track listing for Bringing it all back home is awesome. Maggie's farm, It's All Over Now Baby Blue, It's alright ma, I'm only Bleeding, Sunterranean Homesick Blues and two of my favourites - "She Belongs to me" and "Love minus Zero, No Limit".

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If push comes to shove Blonde on Blonde or Before the Flood and Nashville Skyline my favourite Dylan albums

Burn me

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yeah, they are artists I feel I should have liked but couldn't get into however hard I tried.

I'd add The Who to that as well.

I did like Dylan as part of The Travelling Wilbury's though.

Joni Mitchell and Johnny Cash come into the same category for me

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here