Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Bob Dylan's 80th birthday

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Excellent chapter in this book when Mark Ellen interviewed Bob Dylan. Really made me chuckle, as did Danny Baker when he went backstage at a Dylan gig and wrongly identified Nick Lowe.

Love a good rock'n'roll story me.

1444775499.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Paul Weller is the one hero from my adolescence I would not like to meet.

Nihal on radio 5 did a long interview with him a few days ago that I'm promising myself I'll listen to. But I know what you mean.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Nihal on radio 5 did a long interview with him a few days ago that I'm promising myself I'll listen to. But I know what you mean.

A friend of mine was out with his (very attractive) fiancée in a bar and Weller took a liking to her, barged in between the pair of them and tried chatting her up with the ‘I’m Paul Weller’ spiel.

Great, possibly the greatest songwriter of that post punk period, but an ******** with it too.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Well he certainly hasn't got any better as a singer. Supreme songwriter though.

Well, he's 80 years old and a heavy smoker over many years, so he wouldn't. I saw him in Singapore when he was 69, and it was the worst gig I have ever seen. His voice had gone, and it was barely possible to tell what a few of the songs really were. Oh, well. It's always been like that with Dylan with some great gigs and some not. Still not sorry I went.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well, he's 80 years old and a heavy smoker over many years, so he wouldn't. I saw him in Singapore when he was 69, and it was the worst gig I have ever seen. His voice had gone, and it was barely possible to tell what a few of the songs really were. Oh, well. It's always been like that with Dylan with some great gigs and some not. Still not sorry I went.

I saw him in the mid to late 80s in some massive venue in London. Quite possibly the worst concert I've ever been to. As you say it seems he is either brilliant or complete shite :shrug:

I was definitely sorry that I went!!

Jul 20, 2003
I saw him in the mid to late 80s in some massive venue in London. Quite possibly the worst concert I've ever been to. As you say it seems he is either brilliant or complete shite :shrug:

I was him on consecutive nights at Hammersmith Apollo (?) in '89. First night was atrocious, incoherent rambling. Nearly didn't bother going the second night but a friend was keen to go. Second night, magnificent.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I was him on consecutive nights at Hammersmith Apollo (?) in '89. First night was atrocious, incoherent rambling. Nearly didn't bother going the second night but a friend was keen to go. Second night, magnificent.

Quite possibly, I must have gone on the first night :lolol:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

I can only think of a handful that are better than his originals though, most of them by the Byrds. Most are watered down blandness imo :shrug:

Just one example from a high ranking cover. One is brilliant, the other, well MEH middle of the road blandness to these ears :shrug:

In fairness I HATE Joni Mitchell’s voice and pretty well everything Johnny Cash does sounds the same. Sacrilege I know :smile:

The Cash vocals sound much better on the Dylan version, maybe because his voice goes with Dylan’s better

https://youtu.be/W1QO0jQ0PB0

https://youtu.be/Je4Eg77YSSA

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Can't take that list seriously if XTCs All Along The Watchtower isn't on there.

Both Hendrix and Neil Youngs are very good but so so different to the original

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Sounds a bit like the late Mark E Smith, although in his latter years it was the brevity of his stay on stage that was the main issue (so I'm told - the one and only time I saw him was in 1981 and he was ever present back then). I prefer Smith as a singer. And a songwrite. But I would, wouldn't I? ???

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Sounds a bit like the late Mark E Smith, although in his latter years it was the brevity of his stay on stage that was the main issue (so I'm told - the one and only time I saw him was in 1981 and he was ever present back then). I prefer Smith as a singer. And a songwrite. But I would, wouldn't I? ???

I only saw the Fall once. Sussex university - around the same time. It was prety shambolic and consisted mainly of arguments between Smith and the other band members.
I never bothered going to see them again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here