Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bob Crow

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
this is the reason why we cant move forward in this country. he represents all that is wrong with the trades union movement in todays economics and politics. i dont object to there being unions at all but its time to grow up.

today i read that a train driver is typically on £50k. i think that sounds like an awful lot for sitting and pushing a lever, but we'll let that go for now. When asked if he thought that £50k employees could be considered working class he says yes: they turn up to work and take orders from an employer, therefore they are working class. His definition.

Then when asked if bankers are not the same, he acknowledged cashiers are different but the chaps "gambling" are part of the ruling elite.

oh, so they neither turn up for work or follow orders either??? no. so really, what he means is they are not working class because he says so, even though they meet his own definition.

such breathtaking double standards and contradiction.

the sooner these dinosaurs leave trades unions and they catch up with reality, the sooner we might be able to actually address real issues.

enjoy the afternoon

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I must admit I am worried about irrelevant issues in Unions.

I went to NUS conference a few years back and saw more time devoted to Coca-cola's ethical practices than to tuition fees. Similarly, I am sure that the length of heels does not keep workers awake at night, so why is the TUC debating it? Can't they stick to real issues like working conditions etc?

Last edited:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
theres a bit more to it than pushing a lever,and when i can remember the other thing i have to do ile post it

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If it wasn't Crow, it would be some other elected leader.

I just wish somebody would stand up to the bullying transport union. Even Thatcher didn't dare take them on. Personally I think it's time to automate the tube, a bit like the DLR.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

I just wish somebody would stand up to the bullying transport union. Even Thatcher didn't dare take them on. Personally I think it's time to automate the tube, a bit like the DLR.

yes what are the oiks doing earning proper money and having effective union leaders who represent their members well. many of whom are immigrants. for a lefty you are a bit crap at it.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

she took on , and sadly beat ,the two most powerful unions in the miners and printworkers.If she could beat them, she would destroy the RMT , the last tube strike i didnt even realise it was happening it affected me that little.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Absolutely nothing wrong with the concept of unions

as long as they are crap and innefectual, appears to be the consensus from the psuedo left wingers on here. Unions and immigration are great, as long as they do not come anywhere near me. its so boring its painful, you all waiting to grow up so you can start saying what you really think.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
yes what are the oiks doing earning proper money and having effective union leaders who represent their members well. many of whom are immigrants. for a lefty you are a bit crap at it.
I would be a crap lefty if I was one. Actually I happen to think they're not representing their members well at all. Sure, in the short term they hold the city to ransome in order to squeeze more unreasonable concessions out of management, but when the time comes for automated tubes to be mooted, do you think the public will have much sympathy for people who threaten strike action because bosses threaten to sack drunk workers or who demand 3% pay rises in periods of mass unemployment and deflation?

she took on , and sadly beat ,the two most powerful unions in the miners and printworkers.If she could beat them, she would destroy the RMT , the last tube strike i didnt even realise it was happening it affected me that little.
We'll have to agree to disagree then. The economy would be on its knees without transport IMO, that's why she didn't take them on.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

what is exactly is the wonderful contribution to society that you make in your job simster ?? what do you do for a living ? i think im justified in asking considering the amount of time on here that you have bandied about what i do.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I would be a crap lefty if I was one. Actually I happen to think they're not representing their members well at all. Sure, in the short term they hold the city to ransome in order to squeeze more unreasonable concessions out of management, but when the time comes for automated tubes to be mooted, do you think the public will have much sympathy for people who threaten strike action because bosses threaten to sack drunk workers or who demand 3% pay rises in periods of mass unemployment and deflation?

We'll have to agree to disagree then. The economy would be on its knees without transport IMO, that's why she didn't take them on.
she didnt take them on because she didnt have cause to.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
as long as they are crap and innefectual, appears to be the consensus from the psuedo left wingers on here. Unions and immigration are great, as long as they do not come anywhere near me. its so boring its painful, you all waiting to grow up so you can start saying what you really think.
Not as boring as you tediously rubbishing all opposing points of view with words like childish, pseudo, liberal, wooly etc.

Strike action should be reserved for when negotation fails. The RMT in particular threaten to go on strike over anything; partly because their members are not on the breadline and so don't feel the pinch, and partly because strike action has the affect of crippling the city so is a very powerful weapon.

As I say, it will be counterproductive in the long run - people are sick of being held to ransome by them.

Last edited:

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
what is exactly is the wonderful contribution to society that you make in your job simster ?? what do you do for a living ? i think im justified in asking considering the amount of time on here that you have bandied about what i do.

what the f*** does it matter what Simster does for a living ? Forgive me if I am wrong but it was you who first mentioned what you did as a job....????

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
It was interesting to hear a BBC reporter the other day saying that when unions survey their members these days, they find they are as likely to vote Conservative as Labour.

Things have changed immeasurably from the days of Thatcher it seems to me.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Bored IT Programmer. I'm a bit lazy I guess, but what I do, I do well.

I haven't bandied about what you do as far as I recall, and what has it got to do with this thread, beyond provoking another binfest?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I would be a crap lefty if I was one. Actually I happen to think they're not representing their members well at all. Sure, in the short term they hold the city to ransome in order to squeeze more unreasonable concessions out of management

your opinion, members I know are well pleased with the job Crow does. Perhaps they just cannot see the bigger picture.

but when the time comes for automated tubes to be mooted, do you think the public will have much sympathy for people who threaten strike action because bosses threaten to sack drunk workers or who demand 3% pay rises in periods of mass unemployment and deflation?

if jobs are made redundant due to technology, no public goodwill in the world will keep them in work. they could give all their wages to sick kittens for a year, but if it means tube fares go down 10p, most of the Great British Public would still happily see their compatriots shafted no matter how well they had behaved.

I thought a man on a bus over 30 was a failure anyway.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Bored IT Programmer. I'm a bit lazy I guess, but what I do, I do well.

I haven't bandied about what you do as far as I recall, and what has it got to do with this thread, beyond provoking another binfest?
bored IT programmer in what sector exactly ? medical science ? working for a charity ?? come tell us how exactly you enrich all of our lives through your daily toil ?

PS you have mentioned countless times that i work as a commodity broker.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Not as boring as you tediously rubbishing all opposing points of view with words like childish, pseudo, liberal, wooly etc.

Strike action should be reserved for when negotation fails. The RMT in particular threaten to go on strike over anything; partly because their members are not on the breadline and so don't feel the pinch, and partly because strike action has the affect of crippling the city so is a very powerful weapon.

As I say, it will be counterproductive in the long run - people are sick of being held to ransome by them.

I dont understand why you think negotiating from a position of strength is such bad form.

I quite enjoy a tube strike, the pubs are always busier and there is a good spirit amongst those who do not go completely to pieces because they cannot get into the office for 6.30.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here