Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boardroom Coup!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Re: Re: Re: Re: Fair bet!!

London Irish said:
Why weren't they willing to invest when we really needed the money to strengthen when we were getting promoted two years ago? Or when we successfully defended our Championship status a year ago?

Could it be because they didnt have the confidence that DK would spend the money to strengthen the side as opposed to putting more in the 'black hole'.

Or even something I have said before who would want to put money in and get no shares or anything back in return for their money just to help bail out the existing leader with his cash shortfall.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fair bet!!

BensGrandad said:
who would want to put money in and get no shares or anything back in return for their money just to help bail out the existing leader with his cash shortfall.
Someone who had the best interests of the Albion at heart?

As opposed to someone who was simply on the make.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fair bet!!

Lord Bracknell said:
Someone who had the best interests of the Albion at heart?

As opposed to someone who was simply on the make.

Nice sentiments but where is the next FBS, if there is one? I would have expected he/she to make an appearance by now not to surface during boardroom unrest, which is what appears to have happened. If the rumours are true of course, but they do seem to be gathering pace.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Re: Re: Re: Re: Fair bet!!

London Irish said:

Why is it the opportunists always strike when the club is at a low ebb? Why weren't they willing to invest when we really needed the money to strengthen when we were getting promoted two years ago? Or when we successfully defended our Championship status a year ago?

Precisely, because they're opportunists.

I agree with yout sentiments though - this sounds like really bad news for the club.

Monsieur Leclerc

Café Rene. In disguise!
Apr 24, 2006
Why have the investors suddenly come forward with the stadium in sight and a youth setup that is producing saleable goods?

:nono:

This attitude of, we need money at all costs, will only land us in trouble. I would rather have a chairman that is a fan, with a sensible head on his shoulders, than a potential chairman who is in it, to see a large financial return on his/her investment.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
but the current board will get a return on the loans they made to the club if falmer is ever built. They may love the club but they are businessmen too.

Monsieur Leclerc

Café Rene. In disguise!
Apr 24, 2006
Stinky Kat said:
but the current board will get a return on the loans they made to the club if falmer is ever built. They may love the club but they are businessmen too.

That may well be true, but I think they are not looking for a large return. When you look at Chairmen like Firoz Kassam, who had no interest in football and never invested any money into the playing team, simply because he just wanted the land from the Manor Ground. There are many like him and I would like to think our Board are more concerned about BHA, rather than a return on their investment. Afterall, I don't think they would have got involved if this wasn't the case.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Stinky Kat said:

No they won't. The loans were converted to shares a while back (although they could sell them on if someone was willing to buy).

the Realist

Feb 5, 2006
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fair bet!!

Icy Gull said:
boardroom unrest .... If the rumours are true of course, but they do seem to be gathering pace.

Gathering pace WHERE?

On here as a result of an article in the ARGUS that was dictated by Magoo. And largely instigated by LI, who by now I am convinced is some kind of bastard offspring of the lardy jock.

Have to admit, that was a clever stroke by Magoo to get his mates involved - virtually all threads on this board now are about boardroom strife and DK's future, which nicely takes some of the heat off the manager.

:thumbsup: Magoo - you've done a great job there :censored:

There is absolutely no proof whatsoever that there is ANY disagreement within the current board, let alone, strife, unrest, struggles etc.

The so-called opportunist investor, so it would appear,. comes from a family with a 40-year-old history (at least, if not more) of investing in the Albion - so not some get-rich-quick fleecer like Archole

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fair bet!!

the Realist said:

On here as a result of an article in the ARGUS that was dictated by Magoo.
Have to admit, that was a clever stroke by Magoo to get his mates involved - virtually all threads on this board now are about boardroom strife and DK's future, which nicely takes some of the heat off the manager.

:

And Dick Knight is standing in the shadows letting McGhee do this is he? That McGhee, what a devil he is

Rusco

Jul 8, 2003
Always Bringing Up The Rear
As I understand it, McGhee and Naylor regularly play golf together, so it wouldn't be hard for McGhee to slip Andy a few lines for a story.

I just find it odd that the Argus carried a propaganda story at the tail end of last week about McGhee being the man and then on Monday they run the one about boardroom struggle. They must have had some sort of inside knowledge to get the first story and tried to engineer some spin on it first, sort of getting the first shot in.

For what it's worth, I'm not sure there is any mystery investor and this whole story has actually been manipulated to take the heat away from McGhee, our relegation and that shocking performance on Sunday. I also now believe that may be the time has come for McGhee to go, but I can't see anyone out there who is any better at this stage (Curbishley apart ~ but that is too far fetched), however if this changes then I think it is only right that the board start to question everything that has happened on the playing side this season

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I'm also not convinced that the chairman is as behind McGhee as we are lead to believe.

I said a while ago that I'm aware that chairman is not McGhee's biggest fan because of the way the team were playing. I'd heard that from a somebody who should know before he went public on those comments in the QPR Boxing Day programme notes, talking about MM needing to play a more expansve game, more typical of how Albion have played down the years. It was also said that DK was hoping a Coppell/Reading type scenario would appear so that we could get rid of McGhee and get a fee for him at the same time.

I found that comment about DK being in favour of keeping him, and others wanting him to go more likely to be the other way round, and because DK now doesn't have as much money in the club as before, can't pull the trigger on McGhee just yet.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Dick Knight stopped at a crossroads in front of me while I was cycling to work this morning. I wasn’t sure how to indicate in one swift movement my deep awe of him and that he should sack McGhee. I always get overexcited when I see Uncle Dick, he’s like a real life Father Christmas.

Anyway, the issue is almost certainly to be with the amount required to pay McGhee off. Here’s to Leeds winning the playoffs…???

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Benny Zamora said:
Anyway, the issue is almost certainly to be with the amount required to pay McGhee off. Here’s to Leeds getting winning the playoffs…???

I would agree. Its a shame that Magoo has the "safest job in football".

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fair bet!!

the Realist said:
]There is absolutely no proof whatsoever that there is ANY disagreement within the current board, let alone, strife, unrest, struggles etc

What are you on about? The Argus has gone public on this. They would not have done that without solid sources. Your conspiracy theory about McGhee/Naylor is pitiful and absurd. He is a professional journalist who was at the Argus back in the days when he was exposing Archer/Belotti and getting banned from the Goldstone for doing so. He may well be at the Argus long after McGhee and Knight have moved on from their respective roles at the Albion - the idea that he would risk his job and tell McGhee-inspired falsehoods is pathetic, what, because he enjoys a game of golf with McGhee? That's a good reason to risk your journalistic reputation, isn't it? :lol:

Listen, you clearly don't have a clue how a journalist is meant to do his job. Of course Naylor has as close a hack-source relationship with McGhee as he can. He also had a very close hack-source relationship with Leon Knight too while he was here, that is a good journalist doing his job.

There is no way that the Argus would have printed a representation of Dick Knight's views from a single "interested" source - that would cost Andy Naylor his business relationship with Knight for ever more. This is the basics of journalism.

If the board was united over McGhee's dismissal, McGhee would already be gone now.

What we have is paralysis at the very top because there is an impasse and indecision within the board. Until this division is resolved, we are a club in crisis, a club that cannot tell its out-of-contract players what their future is.

In any such situation, it is always wise given our history to ask whose interests such a chaotic situation serves. The cancer of Archer, Belotti and Stanley was planted inside the club because of boardroom chaos in the late 1980s. We can NEVER AGAIN "trust" our boardroom situation will resolve itself happily on its own without the utmost scrutiny and wariness by fans. We can trust Dick Knight because of his track record, everyone else has to earn that trust from fans.

the Realist said:
The so-called opportunist investor, so it would appear,. comes from a family with a 40-year-old history (at least, if not more) of investing in the Albion - so not some get-rich-quick fleecer like Archole

"The Lizard" Bloom is a professional gambler. He runs a division of a company that, by any standards of business, is tiny. There is no evidence whatsoever he has the financial means to take this club forward. What is his agenda? Where are his public comments to Albion fans explaining what he is about?

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Monsieur Leclerc said:
Why have the investors suddenly come forward with the stadium in sight and a youth setup that is producing saleable goods?

:nono:

This attitude of, we need money at all costs, will only land us in trouble. I would rather have a chairman that is a fan, with a sensible head on his shoulders, than a potential chairman who is in it, to see a large financial return on his/her investment.

hang on a minute...this is how business works.

we cant attract investors now because we have no assets....when falmer comes up we will have an asset ( and millions of debts) so we will be able to attract investors.

simple really

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fair bet!!

London Irish said:
We can NEVER AGAIN "trust" our boardroom situation will resolve itself happily on its own without the utmost scrutiny and wariness by fans. We can trust Dick Knight because of his track record, everyone else has to earn that trust from fans.

strange bed-fellows those two sentences.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fair bet!!

afters said:
strange bed-fellows those two sentences.

I thought that but I would have been accused of bullying if I would have mentioned it

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here