Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloom wants automatic promotion next season

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Christ where is the ambition amongst people on here:O

Of cause we can go up next season and have a quality squad for the championship:thumbsup:

Bloom is very ambitious and its ashame many of our fans are not:facepalm:

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Not important - good players don't tend to make great managers, but I get your point. I just hope GP bucks the trend BIGtime.

But players do need to have respect for their manager. With greats like Clough and Shankly they built up respect through years of hard work and success in management HOWEVER Gus is right at the beginning of his career so he can't point to any past managerial success. He can however point to all his medals from his playing days and you can't argue with that.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
It was too ambitious for us to believe we were better than mid table with Micky the greatest ever manager Adams. What has changed?

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I am sure he does; bless his little poker playing socks.

But so - presumably - will 23 other Club Owners in Div 1 next season.

I'm all for aspirational targets; but if Gus finishes third and then narrowly fails in the play offs, should he get the boot?

I bloody hope not!

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
Whilst I applaud Mr Bloom's ballsy ambition, I wonder whether making such a public statement adds unnecessary pressure on the management, players and himself? (As well as giving supporters, what may prove to be, over-inflated expectations)
Automatic promotion would be fabulous, but finishing 3rd to 6th would also be a commendable achievement based on the shite that we've seen over the last few years - yet would be seen as failure based on the goals that have been set.

Let's hope he doesn't have a Rafa-esque inability to keep his optimistic predictions to
himself.... unless of course, they all prove to be spot on :)

No pressure on Gus...its what he wants and expects as well. It will put pressure on players,for sure...but maybe thats just whats needed !

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
Bloom knows the score. You dont earn all them millions without having a serious brain in your head.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
At SOL, our new chairmen stated he wanted promotion next season and there would be a budget to do it.

He then said that once in the Championship there would be a top six budget for the Championship. So there may be a bit of a mix with a couple of players on shorter deals to get out of this division, but I imagine the majority would be signed with playing in the Championship in mind.

i hadnt heard this , and no one seems to have picked up on it on this thread. if thats true that will be a huge budget . exciting times ahead . i just hope its sustainable

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
i hadnt heard this , and no one seems to have picked up on it on this thread. if thats true that will be a huge budget . exciting times ahead . i just hope its sustainable

Good point - Feasibly, what numbers could this be...20m to get out of the Champ ?

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
At the end of the day if the players feel it is too much pressure they should pack their bags & f*** off to Crystal Palarse. It's what they are paid to do for Christs sake. Anyone who can't cut it will be gone & those who play for Gus, Tony & us the supporters will have to have ambition to match the clubs. End of.

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
At the end of the day if the players feel it is too much pressure they should pack their bags & f*** off to Crystal Palarse. It's what they are paid to do for Christs sake. Anyone who can't cut it will be gone & those who play for Gus, Tony & us the supporters will have to have ambition to match the clubs. End of.

True. Also, there are different kinds of pressure. To set high expectations in a supportive environment that helps the players achieve what's asked of them is good management and what is required to achieve success. To demand that the team never loses at a club with a dodgy chairman and angry intolerant fans is a recipe for disaster... *cough*... *Leeds*

So setting expectations high is not a problem if everyone then plays their part in the right way, from the Chairman down. From what I can see this is happening. Therefore it is a good thing.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
Thought this was worth a bounce, considering many people's doubts about whether going up this season would be a good thing... Some people had the same doubts a couple of years ago about going into the Championship...

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
True. Also, there are different kinds of pressure. To set high expectations in a supportive environment that helps the players achieve what's asked of them is good management and what is required to achieve success. To demand that the team never loses at a club with a dodgy chairman and angry intolerant fans is a recipe for disaster... *cough*... *Leeds*

So setting expectations high is not a problem if everyone then plays their part in the right way, from the Chairman down. From what I can see this is happening. Therefore it is a good thing.

Agreed. I don't think it puts undue pressure on Gus because Bloom is an Albion fan and football man who will judge him fairly and understands how much he's already achieved for the club.

Seems to me that it's more likely a shrewd move to put the message out there that this is a club with major ambitions which should help Gus in the summer transfer market and shift some more season tickets. Whereas we spent last season looking for players who could succeed at Championship level, I get the feeling this year we'll be looking for some proven Premier League quality - especially with several thousand extra seats to fill.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here