Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blimey, the Shadow Home Minister has resigned!

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
TBH I don't care if its 28 days or 42. Two extra weeks doesn't make any difference, we all know this was about what party is more law and order than the others.

On that front Brown has made a stand and for once he chose well, Cameron has misjudged the electorate. this will come back and haunt him.
LC

It could however be that Cameron put our civil liberties before populist pandering. I find it really odd that that the left to whom I have always looked for protection of our liberties are now responsible for the illiberal erosion of so many of our freedoms. Shame on them.

Clapham Old Mug

Aug 6, 2004
Clapham
LC - don't think his seat is all that safe. But I'm not sure that's the issue; he's been perfectly open about the LibDems not contesting it.
I think he just wants a platform, where he can't be shouted down by the PM, to highlight the growth of nanny-ism.

Dandyman

In London village.
TBH EVERYONE, i haven't done enough checking whether 14, 21, 28 days or 42 is the most efficient.

Ultimately this is relative to how many people are also trying to make a case againgst someone.

If we underfund the coppers, the security services then we need more time in detention and relatively vice versa.

I am not convinced by 42. I remember Labour being totally againgst 28?

I also know if DD was on a marginal and the Tories were doing badly in the polls, he wouldn't be standing down?

D, I suspect we agree on many things but to believe that the slow steady erosion of our liberties is anything other than an outrage and representative of the hollowness of any concept of progressive opinion within the Labour party is beyond me. Davies may be utterly cynical in this but if it exposes the depths to which Neo-Labour have sunk then bring it on.

As I say, what is the right period to "intern" someone.

Was 14 days right. The Conservatives thought 28 days was OK. Is 42 so much worst.

I hope this extension is one of those pieces of legislation that will never be used.

Personally, I don't really believe, we really will have someone pulled in but need 6 weeks to find evidence? That would be trully perverse and show that we have no real evidence.

However, with the way we undercut all of our services, will 14 days be enough.

Frankly I don't know. This and CCTV etc are all about who is more law and order, there are no principles here amongst the two main parties.

If Conservatives were in power I imagine we would be having a parallel debate. Hasn't Cameron already conceeded, he may not or real not repeal the 42 days?

I do agree with Simster, D'man that the UK are sleepwalking into a big brother type state.

Confused LC

Great of Davis to take a stand but its a crying shame it takes TORY to stand up for civil liberty issues against a LABOUR government.

He's not taking a stand though, is he? He's just setting up a soap box for himself to talk to the masses, and address the points HE wants to address. I understand that he feels strongly about this, but there is a due process to be gone through. This was gone through, he didn't like the results, so he's gone for some self-publicity.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
While I'm not in favour of 42 days, I don't understand all this referencing of the Magna Carta, on ALL sides.

When that was introduced, we were still burning witches...:lolol:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Id rather he stuck by his guns and prompted more public debate on this issue.

Im sure most of the labour MPs were anti 42 days but abandoned their morals to tow the party line.

Dandyman

In London village.
Id rather he stuck by his guns and prompted more public debate on this issue.

Im sure most of the labour MPs were anti 42 days but abandoned their morals to tow the party line.

Fair point. Some of the horse trading over the vote was appalling. Can't wait for a few DUP voters to get banged up.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Im a Labour voter and normally very defensive of the party but its OBVIOUS loads of the Labour MPs voted against what they actually believe.

At the end of the day Davis' resignation will not change anything. He was never best mates with Cameron and if the tories did win the next election I doubt he would have been in a for a big job.

All that will happen is he will win his seat back and his career may be delayed for a year or two.

BUT if it shames a few of the Labour MPs into voting with their morals next time round it will have been worth it.

While I'm not in favour of 42 days, I don't understand all this referencing of the Magna Carta, on ALL sides.

When that was introduced, we were still burning witches...:lolol:

And if the Normans didn't like you, they just killed you!:laugh:

Im a Labour voter and normally very defensive of the party but its OBVIOUS loads of the Labour MPs voted against what they actually believe.

At the end of the day Davis' resignation will not change anything. He was never best mates with Cameron and if the tories did win the next election I doubt he would have been in a for a big job.

All that will happen is he will win his seat back and his career may be delayed for a year or two.

BUT if it shames a few of the Labour MPs into voting with their morals next time round it will have been worth it.

Richie,

I reckon Cameron, is more involved in this than he is making out!

Yesterday should have seen billboards saying

"Brown wins vote,

"Brown listens to the people

instead, the timing of DD standing has changed the positive news to Brown to the Conservatives being the riteous party.

A Diary in a few years time will tell us the truth:rolleyes:

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
politians dont resign their seats for a stunt or as a gesture, indeed most carry on for 20, 30 years or more even when the party they represent have moved along way from thier views.[/QUOTE

I know "politians" dont resign but what about politician's ?:shrug:

Chicken, old boy, if you're going to pick somebody up on their English, you really, really don't want to be scattering apostrophes about with such abandon. It makes you look a bit of a berk, frankly.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
And if the Normans didn't like you, they just killed you!:laugh:

But it wouldn't take them 42 days.

I don't get it being held up as the bastion of democracy when in theory, it was just establishing relations between the King and Feudal barons.

I'm not doing down good old Tony Benn but he can't half be up himself, "I thought I'd never see the day Parliament ended the Magna Carta".

Surely it has been ended several times, 1649 revolution? 1688?

A document from the days of absolutism and serfdom, Tony...

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Richie,

I reckon Cameron, is more involved in this than he is making out!

Yesterday should have seen billboards saying

"Brown wins vote,

"Brown listens to the people

instead, the timing of DD standing has changed the positive news to Brown to the Conservatives being the riteous party.

A Diary in a few years time will tell us the truth:rolleyes:

I'd agree to disagree.

They would be harping on about deals with DUP, the whole spin was very much scraping through by the skin of his teeth. This is has now exposed divisions potentially(were Osbourne/Cameron less anti 42 than DD) and also perhaps pitted them against their old allies The Sun in what could be a circus of a by election.

If Cameron was behind that, I'd keep schtum!

I don't get it being held up as the bastion of democracy when in theory, it was just establishing relations between the King and Feudal barons.

I'm not doing down good old Tony Benn but he can't half be up himself, "I thought I'd never see the day Parliament ended the Magna Carta".

Didn't the Princes just stay in the Tower, where was there Civil libeties?

Back to your point about witches, plus lets throw in the Catholics and Prostestants how many of them got a fair Trial under the remit of the Magna Carta?

Don't know mate, some of the torture technics used then, would even embarass the CIA?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I'm not sure I agree about the headlines being all about Brown. If anyone has spoken intelligently and with the capability of damaging Brown it would be Cameron.

With Davis resignation he is surely stealing attention AWAY from Cameron.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not sure I agree about the headlines being all about Brown. If anyone has spoken intelligently and with the capability of damaging Brown it would be Cameron.

With Davis resignation he is surely stealing attention AWAY from Cameron.

Exactly. It is also fuelling speculation that they didn't agree on 42 days, that Cameron didn't sanction the DD move, basically, that there are chinks at the surface of party unity.

And that is something the Tories, or any party, wants to avoid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here