Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blimey, the Shadow Home Minister has resigned!

Because contrary to popular opinion, most MPs in this country are people of principle and integrity. I'm fairly sure he's not throwing his political career down the toilet, but I admire him for doing something about an absolutely disgusting piece of legislation that the Labour party is attempting to crow bar through parliament because their own piss poor foreign policy.

Sadly however, David Davies is one of the few electable Tory MPs IMO who would deserve to form a government through talent as opposed to arriving their by default owing to unelectable SHIT that make up the current government.

TBH I don't care if its 28 days or 42. Two extra weeks doesn't make any difference, we all know this was about what party is more law and order than the others.

On that front Brown has made a stand and for once he chose well, Cameron has misjudged the electorate. this will come back and haunt him.

Davis resigning, is a stunt, a total stunt and a complete stunt and will have his party full stunting support. They are on a programme of winning byelections and won't more and more.

I believe this is not on principle, far from it. He knows he can't lose this seat.

I hope Labour treats it as the sham it is, and doing so, will show a bigger misjudgement by the Tories.

Vote Anna, You know its better to be in bed with a red than dead:D
LC

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i suppose what he is trying to say is to other MPs, you are voted in to represent your constituents first, your principles second and your party third. all too many of the labour side just rolled over on this 42 day issue because they didnt want to undermine the shaky government, not for any principle.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
If David davis is so pro personal liberty then why does he follow the pro EU line which pulls stunts like pulling funding from anti-EU parties and is profoundly undemocratic.

Good ridance I hope he loses his seat.

Agreed. Bloke from the wring side of the tracks. Council estate boy, ex-SAS and a left-leaning Tory.

The kind of Tory PM I'd have any day of the week, year, whenever.

Is that in a loving, quiet room at the club way?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
davischung23323453.jpg

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Self Publicity, he cannot lose, he spoke to the Lib Dems prior and knew they would not stand, if Labour refuse to stand a candidate and not play along he can moan about that. He has a big majority in Tory heartland where Libs are second place. Yet he will say its the view of the majority.

Very empty stand in my view, there is no threat to him but loads of publicity. If it doe not work expect to see him wearing a mini skirt on the next celebrity BB.

Still the media love this sort of pomposity.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Self Publicity, he cannot lose, he spoke to the Lib Dems prior and knew they would not stand, if Labour refuse to stand a candidate and not play along he can moan about. He has a big majority in Tory heartland where Libs are second place.

Very empty stand in my view, there is no threat to him but loads of publicity. If it doe not work expect to see him wearing a mini skirt on the next celebrity BB.

Still the media love this sort of pomposity.

So how best do you think he should show his disgust at the way the Government has paid off and bribed MPs to get a piece of legislation in, that DD as well as many many people from all political persuasions, thinks is dangerous unnecessary and goes against aour fundamental rights. Genuine question. What would you do then?

EDIT and a 6000 majority is nothing in a by-election (See Crewe and Nantwich or Eastbourne)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
TBH I don't care if its 28 days or 42. Two extra weeks doesn't make any difference, we all know this was about what party is more law and order than the others.
It should be around 14 days mark, like it is in most other civilised countries.

Davis resigning, is a stunt, a total stunt and a complete stunt
So is the idea that Labour are making our country safer by making it legal for the police to detain you for 42 days without explaining why. You'd change your bloody tune if it was YOU who got locked up for that time, during which time your employers had enough and sacked you.

And lets be clear about this - the "reason" for this is brought about by Labour's shambolic foreign policy. So we all know where the blame lies.

It really is a pity the Tories aren't a little bit more electable to me. There are so many TWATS on the Labour front bench.

Last edited:

So how best do you think he should show his disgust at the way the Government has paid off and bribed MPs to get a piece of legislation in, that DD as well as many many people from all political persuasions, thinks is dangerous unnecessary and goes against aour fundamental rights. Genuine question. What would you do then?

But Buzzer, that's the way the political system works (I was going to say in this country, but in MOST countries it is true). The system sucks, but that is the system. This country works on a system of people electing an MP to 'represent them' in Parliament. To what degree they go and do this is then up to them; although they are ultimately accountable in that the people can simply not elect them next time round.

What he is trying to do is express that he has no belief in the system; but if that was the case he wouldn't be standing for re-election.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
But Buzzer, that's the way the political system works (I was going to say in this country, but in MOST countries it is true). The system sucks, but that is the system. This country works on a system of people electing an MP to 'represent them' in Parliament. To what degree they go and do this is then up to them; although they are ultimately accountable in that the people can simply not elect them next time round.

What he is trying to do is express that he has no belief in the system; but if that was the case he wouldn't be standing for re-election.

All fair points and I'd struggle to disagree with any of that.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
he would have been my preferred leader of the opposition and for a Tory he has a lot of sense.
When I was a lot younger I would have opposed this bill wholeheartedly but as you get older you see that life is a little more sacred and to be quite honest I now think that 42 days is nowhere near enough.
why on earth should we have to put up with anyone seditiously plotting against our nation and to be arrested and released because of the time scale ,in fact I see no reason why we cannot arrest these people and charge them and while they wait un-bailed in prison collect evidence ...............and if there is not enough evidence then release them and pay compensation and I'm sure if they don't like this system then show them where the door is politely.
And please don't lets start holding up these poor souls who were locked up by the Americans as a human rights shining light ........so far no one has ever answered the question as to why they were in Afghanistan and as British citizens they are a disgrace and in the real world would have been charged with sedition.........................but then thats not very PC is it

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Would anyone be surprised if there was something about to be revealed in the press or elsewhere - for example personal behaviour or misappropriation?

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
I'm deadly serious. And that goes for MPs on both sides of the house.

Well we pay for their overpirced, largely unused houses, their families to get jobs with them, their furnishings, food, nannies, croquet sets etc. The least they could do is have some integrity*

*and not shred all evidence of it, before we get our hands on it.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

On that front Brown has made a stand and for once he chose well, Cameron has misjudged the electorate. this will come back and haunt him.

Davis resigning, is a stunt, a total stunt and a complete stunt and will have his party full stunting support. They are on a programme of winning byelections and won't more and more.

I believe this is not on principle, far from it. He knows he can't lose this seat.

I hope Labour treats it as the sham it is, and doing so, will show a bigger misjudgement by the Tories.

Vote Anna, You know its better to be in bed with a red than dead:D
LC

Agree with everything there except the assertion that it doesnt matter how long British subjects can be held without charge by the state.

It absolutely does matter and is one of the central planks of British justice enshrined in Magna Carta for over a thousand years and is one of the most basic rights that Britons have fought and died to protect ever since.

Davies is obviously pissed off with Cameron and wants to show himself as a man of principle & above mere party politics and, you know what, if he chooses to make his stand here, on this issue, I for one applaud him whatever his motive.

Clapham Old Mug

Aug 6, 2004
Clapham
From his resignation statement, it sounds as if the 42 day thing is just the final straw. He's also making a stand against CCTV cameras on every lamp post, government held computer records on every child, ID cards and state employed busy-bodies on every corner. If he can turn the search lights on all that sort of stuff, good for him. (Great article in the Times today entitled "We have become a nation of traffic wardens").

TBH EVERYONE, i haven't done enough checking whether 14, 21, 28 days or 42 is the most efficient.

Ultimately this is relative to how many people are also trying to make a case againgst someone.

If we underfund the coppers, the security services then we need more time in detention and relatively vice versa.

I am not convinced by 42. I remember Labour being totally againgst 28?

I also know if DD was on a marginal and the Tories were doing badly in the polls, he wouldn't be standing down?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here