Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blimey, the Shadow Home Minister has resigned!

BBC NEWS | Politics | David Davis resigns from Commons
Stunt or does he genuinley believe this vote is a breach of our civil liberties!!

We've been debating this in the office (that's the kind of exciting life we economists lead) and can't really see why he's done it. Don't really see what he has to gain; it is not in anger at his party (whose line was to vote against it), but seemingly at the government; he has a massive majority in his constituency, so even if this is all that he campaigns on he is still going to win, especially given that the Lib Dems aren't going to stand. Why is he doing it?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Just an empty gesture. The LibDems have already said they won't fight the by-election and some Labour bod's been hinting that Labour might not either. That'll piss on his chips.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We've been debating this in the office (that's the kind of exciting life we economists lead) and can't really see why he's done it.
Because contrary to popular opinion, most MPs in this country are people of principle and integrity. I'm fairly sure he's not throwing his political career down the toilet, but I admire him for doing something about an absolutely disgusting piece of legislation that the Labour party is attempting to crow bar through parliament because their own piss poor foreign policy.

Sadly however, David Davies is one of the few electable Tory MPs IMO who would deserve to form a government through talent as opposed to arriving their by default owing to unelectable SHIT that make up the current government.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
politians dont resign their seats for a stunt or as a gesture, indeed most carry on for 20, 30 years or more even when the party they represent have moved along way from thier views.

Because contrary to popular opinion, most MPs in this country are people of principle and integrity. I'm fairly sure he's not throwing his political career down the toilet, but I admire him for doing something about an absolutely disgusting piece of legislation that the Labour party is attempting to crow bar through parliament because their own piss poor foreign policy.

Sadly however, David Davies is one of the few electable Tory MPs IMO who would deserve to form a government through talent as opposed to arriving their by default owing to unelectable SHIT that make up the current government.

Sorry, I'm probably being thick, but I still don't understand. Surely the point is that if he wants to put his point of view across, and represent his viewpoint and that of his constituents, he needs to remain an MP. All he's doing is saying 'I don't like this decision, despite the fact it's been through the democratic process and been accepted, so I'm storming off in a huff, only to return in 2/3 months time'.

What does he hope to achieve? He will win the by-election, it will draw some attention to this piece of legislation but it seems to me its already had quite a lot of publicity anyway.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Wow! Absolutely, indisputably the POST OF THE DAY.

:thumbsup:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I think it's a little bit about a political mid-life crisis: he told the BBC just now that this matter was "more important to me than my job in parliament". He has only ever been a junior foreign minister, lost two Tory leadership elections and has never really made his mark, big-style, on the political arena.

He also wants to do it to force David Cameron to put the repeal of the 42 days on the next Tory manifesto.

Sadly, I think he's destined for the backbenches after this; he's gone from DD the next home secretary, to "DD? Oh yeah, I remember him".

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I was about to say though, that I didn't think he could resign and then re-stand. He has to get kicked out by taking the Chiltern Hundreds whixh effectively bars him from stepping into the House Of Commons ever again.

Suppose he could take a peerage and become a minister whilst a lord.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
"DD? Oh yeah, I remember him".

dp1776273ak0.jpg

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I was about to say though, that I didn't think he could resign and then re-stand. He has to get kicked out by taking the Chiltern Hundreds whixh effectively bars him from stepping into the House Of Commons ever again.

Suppose he could take a peerage and become a minister whilst a lord.

He can apply to be released from it as soon as he has been appointed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here