Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blimey, never knew this about the Albion...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You know we won the Southern League in 1910, which allowed us to participate in the 1910 Charity Shield...?

Did you also know that Brighton & Hove Albion Reserves also won the Southern League in 1920-21 and again in 1926-27?

The league was split into sections. In 1921, Brighton Reserves won the English Section and beat Barry, the Welsh Champions 2-1 to claim the title. In 1927, Brighton Reserves won the Eastern Section and beat the Western Section champions 4-0 to be winners again.

The history they taught when I was at school was evidently RUBBISH.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought that everybody, even Ben, knew we were the first ever winners of the Charity Shield beat Villa 1 - 0. It was a knockout tournement in those days between 4 league winners I think, although I didnt go.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I thought that everybody, even Ben, knew we were the first ever winners of the Charity Shield beat Villa 1 - 0. It was a knockout tournement in those days between 4 league winners I think, although I didnt go.

Not true.

We were the THIRD winners of the Charity Shield, the competition starting in 1908. It started as the winners of the Football League versus the winners of the Southern League, and replaced the Sheriff of London Charity Shield (first contested in 1898) which was played between the best professional and best amateur sides.

We are the only winners of the Southern League to have won it the Charity Shield.

Indeed Brighton and Leicester are the only teams to have won it without ever having won the league or the FA Cup.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As a young supporter I was told that we were the first under the name of The Charity Sheild, and that it was played for between the winners of the 1st, 2nd Division, Northern League and Southern League winners and have never bothered to check especially as internet wasnt about in the early 50s. I am grateful for you giving me the correct story.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I went. A bit of a dull affair really. I was only 9 at the time. Manager didn't have a clue, and the chairman keep his hands firmly in his pockets even in those days.

I did, but I only found out by seeing the Championship Shield in the flesh (or wood, as it happens!). A work colleague who lived in Swadlincote invited me to go to the Derbyshire Senior Cup Final, held at his local club Gresley Rovers in May 1997 (the day after Hereford). After the match in the clubhouse, with me proudly wearing my "Farewell GG" T-shirt, the conversation turned to the Southern League Championship which Gresley had just won. When I mentioned that we had won it in 1910, he arranged for a steward to show the Shield to me; he must have been strong as he lifted this massive trophy off the floor and carried it over by himself. After admiring the relevant plaque, I looked at the other winners and was staggered to find two more bearing our name in the 20s! Well, I wouldn't have believed it had I been told, as I have never seen these honours recorded anywhere, but here they were engraved in silver right in front of my eyes.
I took a couple of photos for proof, but the camera was too close and the pictures came out blurred. Maybe we should suggest to the club that these are added to the honours' list; after all, it's the same trophy that we won.

Last edited:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
and soon to add as mr starlin says the john player trophy to a ever growing list of silverware,all this without a single prawn sarnie in sight.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
You know we won the Southern League in 1910, which allowed us to participate in the 1910 Charity Shield...?

Did you also know that Brighton & Hove Albion Reserves also won the Southern League in 1920-21 and again in 1926-27?

The league was split into sections. In 1921, Brighton Reserves won the English Section and beat Barry, the Welsh Champions 2-1 to claim the title. In 1927, Brighton Reserves won the Eastern Section and beat the Western Section champions 4-0 to be winners again.

You didn't know that ? Call yourself a fan ? :lol:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

It is celebrated on a house in Dyke Road opposite the Marlets. There is quite a lot of detail you can't really see on this pic (crappy mobile) but worth a pilgrimage.

Attachments

• house.JPG
    house.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 529

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I did, but I only found out by seeing the Championship Shield in the flesh (or wood, as it happens!). A work colleague who lived in Swadlincote invited me to go to the Derbyshire Senior Cup Final, held at his local club Gresley Rovers in May 1997 (the day after Hereford). After the match in the clubhouse, with me proudly wearing my "Farewell GG" T-shirt, the conversation turned to the Southern League Championship which Gresley had just won. When I mentioned that we had won it in 1910, he arranged for a steward to show the Shield to me; he must have been strong as he lifted this massive trophy off the floor and carried it over by himself. After admiring the relevant plaque, I looked at the other winners and was staggered to find two more bearing our name in the 20s! Well, I wouldn't have believed it had I been told, as I have never seen these honours recorded anywhere, but here they were engraved in silver right in front of my eyes.
I took a couple of photos for proof, but the camera was too close and the pictures came out blurred. Maybe we should suggest to the club that these are added to the honours' list; after all, it's the same trophy that we won.

Interesting as they are not listed on the FA site

1908 Manchester United Queens Park Rangers 1-1
replay Manchester United Queens Park Rangers 4-0
1909 Newcastle United Northampton Town 2-0
1910 Brighton and Hove Albion Aston Villa 1-0
1911 Manchester United Swindon Town 8-4
1912 Blackburn Rovers Queens Park Rangers 2-1
1913 Professionals Amateurs 7-2
1914- 1918 Not Played
1920 West Bromwich Albion Tottenham Hotspur 2-0
1921 Tottenham Hotspur Burnley 2-0
1922 Huddersfield Town Liverpool 1-0
1923 Professionals Amateurs 2-0
1924 Professionals Amateurs 3-1
1925 Amateurs Professionals 6-1
1926 Amateurs Professionals 6-3

1927 Cardiff City Corinthians 2-1
1928 Everton Blackburn Rovers 2-1
1929 Professionals Amateurs 3-0
1930 Arsenal Sheffield Wednesday 2

Unless we were credited as the Professionals or the Amateurs

Interesting as they are not listed on the FA site

1908 Manchester United Queens Park Rangers 1-1
replay Manchester United Queens Park Rangers 4-0
1909 Newcastle United Northampton Town 2-0
1910 Brighton and Hove Albion Aston Villa 1-0
1911 Manchester United Swindon Town 8-4
1912 Blackburn Rovers Queens Park Rangers 2-1
1913 Professionals Amateurs 7-2
1914- 1918 Not Played
1920 West Bromwich Albion Tottenham Hotspur 2-0
1921 Tottenham Hotspur Burnley 2-0
1922 Huddersfield Town Liverpool 1-0
1923 Professionals Amateurs 2-0
1924 Professionals Amateurs 3-1
1925 Amateurs Professionals 6-1
1926 Amateurs Professionals 6-3

1927 Cardiff City Corinthians 2-1
1928 Everton Blackburn Rovers 2-1
1929 Professionals Amateurs 3-0
1930 Arsenal Sheffield Wednesday 2

Unless we were credited as the Professionals or the Amateurs

some of those professionals cant have been much cop .... two 6 goal defeats in consecutive years ...
anyway hopefully the JPT will be ours in april ( usual disclaimers apply such as adams picks a winning side etc :nono:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Aren't planners assholes. Just looking at the house next door to the "1910" house, and ignoring that the owners have painted over the shield and replaced the rather beautifukl sash windows with uPVC, look at that thing on the roof.

I'm not one for stopping people developing their property, but the original solution on the corner property was to have a proper pitched roof running from the ridgeline. Proportion and style totally in sympathy with the houses. The other dormer is a flat roof beast that is too big for the house and slapped into pantiles. So avoidable and so predictable. Shame.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall

The Southern League Championships we won in the 1920s (1921 & 1927) were won by the Reserves.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
It is celebrated on a house in Dyke Road opposite the Marlets. There is quite a lot of detail you can't really see on this pic (crappy mobile) but worth a pilgrimage.
That's right near me: there's that, plus there's another impressive-looking shield on the house round the corner on the smaller road off Dyke Road. Presume one's the Charity Shield, the other the Southern League.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I think that house is an important part of social history - not just the clubs but that of Brighton and Hove. It's a prominent property on a main road from a time when the confidence was still high (before The Great War). I hope it's protected in some way.

Can anyone get a better picture of the shields? Would be good to have them on record in case the worst happens and some Neanderthal chips them off or pebble dashes them.

Could the club get a pro photographer up there to capture them?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here