Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blimey! 2 Ambulancemen arrested in Brighton charged with negligence following a death

D

Deleted User X18H

By now the thread originator should be feeling extremely remorseful and very embarrassed I personally don't think a cursory donation to charity is enough perhaps wallet should be opened a little further !!!!

D

Deleted User X18H

'Squalor found by paramedics' (From The Argus)

Have the Argus got nothing better to do than pick on this poor sod who now can't answer back the picture accompanying this story is quite unnecessary !!

Since I saw his picture on yesterdays front page and realized I used to chat with him when I hung around Patcham a few years ago he just a nice sociable old boy and if these two para medics did say 'he wasn't worth saving' an assumption made because his house was untidy then they deserve everything they have coming to them including if necessary a custodial sentence!! Every one in this country is entitled to free emergency medical care irrespective of status or OPINION and I bet he paid into the state for years!!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I find it very strange, and rather distaseful, that pics of his untidy flat have been published. i wonder what family members agreed to this as, i understood, he had no close family left. What were the motives of the clearence firm and why are the Argus doing a virtual ad for them, giving telo for the firm & web address?

Barry was not the fittest of guys and had servere mobility problems. No doubt many would have lived on benefits and taken everything the system offers in the way of home help.

He wasn't like that. he worked full time, some 40 years at the benefits office often dealing with some very ungrateful punters. it's not a career many of us would choose.

I 1st met him when i used to sign on in the 70's-80's and he always treated punters with respect. I later knew him from working in the same building and have seen him on & off in later years, usually in the Evening Star.

A very nice bloke, never wanted help or pity until the day he needed an ambulance.

As for Buzzer's origional post, such is NSC, i certainly wouldn't make an issue of it and he has apologised and even made a donation. Hb&B, sounds like you are making too much oif it. old scores to settle?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I too found that picture distasteful. What on earth were the house clearance company thinking of? Who did they think they were helping by doing that? It certainly has no bearing on the alleged actions of the ambulancemen.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I too found that picture distasteful. What on earth were the house clearance company thinking of? Who did they think they were helping by doing that? It certainly has no bearing on the alleged actions of the ambulancemen.

Totally agree. The article says the house clearing company got permission....who from? And what is there motif? Also, have they broken any privacy laws?

The Argus at least throws in the word "allegedly" when it writes about the reactions of the ambulance crew. The clearance company simply state their version of the "facts" as:- "two ambulance men had denied Mr Baker of treatment because of the way he was living in his own house".

This is plainly libellous.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
Thats wrong. Why does anyone wish to see that type of thing........?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Argus at least throws in the word "allegedly" when it writes about the reactions of the ambulance crew. The clearance company simply state their version of the "facts" as:- "two ambulance men had denied Mr Baker of treatment because of the way he was living in his own house".

This is plainly libellous.

The bit which puzzles me is the clearance company published the pictures on their website as part of some before-and-after montage. Nice.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
By now the thread originator should be feeling extremely remorseful and very embarrassed I personally don't think a cursory donation to charity is enough perhaps wallet should be opened a little further !!!!

Leave the boy alone. He's been big enough to hold his hands up. Maybe to gain extra height, who knows, but the hands have been held up. He'll have learnt from this. Unlike yourself.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

Why dont you get off your high horse you pompous oaf. He has apologised and that should be the end of it, but obviously not for Inbred, who has of course never upset anyone on here.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It specifically mentions in the article below that the paramedics commented on the state of Mr Baker's house which is why I mentioned it:

Telegraph Article

Suggest you go back to school and retake any English comprehension tests!!! I have read the article mentioned and note that they comment on the condition of the property but nowhere does it state that that is the reason they did not attempt to revive him. You, however, draw your own conclusion that that is the reason they left him and not because they might have already assessed his medical condition. Fact is, we don't know until the inquiry is complete.

Last edited:

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
I cannot see ANY reason for photos of the poor man's house to be published- either by the clearup firm - do they do this for every case they handle- nor by the Argus.

Or have they been asked/pressured into supporting the amulance crew, and the over worked, under paid NHS blah blah etc ..

I mean, would any pics have been released, if the place was tidy? or is it just to backup the eventual bill that A2B will submit..

I note the website the argus mentioned is currently not live.. i wonder why that is..

A man has died. Show him some respect.

Last edited:

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I presume that the house clearance company has a contract with the Councils Social Service division. Now if that is the case they should be at least reprimanded for disclosure.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
When entering a property paramedics have no idea what they're about to encounter. Surely a quick "it's a mess in here, be careful" is a sensible thing to say?

We also need to get the 'not worth saving' into context - there are many situations where the ambulance service turn up to help someone who CANNOT be saved. This will be based on several years of medical training and their professional opinion. Should this be over-ridden by untrained 'public opinion' of how it may 'look'?

The body will not be dealt with until a full post-mortum is carried out, hence the delay in burial/cremation.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
When entering a property paramedics have no idea what they're about to encounter. Surely a quick "it's a mess in here, be careful" is a sensible thing to say?

We also need to get the 'not worth saving' into context - there are many situations where the ambulance service turn up to help someone who CANNOT be saved. This will be based on several years of medical training and their professional opinion. Should this be over-ridden by untrained 'public opinion' of how it may 'look'?

The body will not be dealt with until a full post-mortum is carried out, hence the delay in burial/cremation.

Hopefully that will be the case but it was the staff at the ambulance call cetre who brought this to the attention of a supervisor and then through to a chain before being passed to the police. Obviously they all felt that the comments and actions were questionable.

Without all this, the public were unaware of any problem.

franks brother

I've seen this blokes house on the TV it was f***ing disgusting - Kim and aggie would have puked if they saw it. The bloke weighed 30st FFS - so how 2 blokes were supposed to roll him into a position amongst all the filth and clutte rin order to work on him is anyones guess.

Besides the paramedic with his knowledge called it exactly as the coroner obviously did - the bloke wouldn't have made it anyway.

So why exactly is he being jailed ?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
The Argus comments to this story make interesting readin and show the two sides of the argument.

I've little doubt that barry would have dies anyway and that his condition and that of his surroundings did not help but it seems to be the string of lies, told by the medic, that have landed him in trouble rather than his lack of care.

For that he has rightly be found guilty however i do have some sympathy with the 12 months custodial for somebody with a previously clean record of service and with 2 young lads, especially when you hear of so many scroats getting a slap on the wrist for persistant offences.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here