Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blimey! 2 Ambulancemen arrested in Brighton charged with negligence following a death

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Obviously I dont know the full circumstances or of course what was said to control in the telephone call but it is not generally an emergency situation if somebody has an Epileptic fit, in fact when they come round fully the last thing they want to do is go to hospital. Your case may of course required hospital treatment but if the person phoning for the ambulance didnt explain things properly then that could have been the main contributing factor.

He actually was having strokes, but someone having active grand mal seizures should go to hospital - no question. I'd imagine if an epileptic was having fits in the middle of the street with no medi-alert badge on (i checked) then they should still go to hospital.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He actually was having strokes, but someone having active grand mal seizures should go to hospital - no question. I'd imagine if an epileptic was having fits in the middle of the street with no medi-alert badge on (i checked) then they should still go to hospital.

Wouldn't claim to be a medical expert for a second, but it's very common for alcoholics to have sort of seizures when they haven't had a drink for a while, isn't it? Maybe (I'm not saying it's right either way) they assumed it was that kind of thing and thus judged it not as urgent as it otherwise might have been.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Some years back I came across a well known Worthing "Character", Mad Max.... it was a lovely summers day and Max had taken some refreshment and decided to have a little nap on the ground in Montague St near to some busking Peruvians..... A well meaning ( :lolol:) member of the public was concerned that this poor "elderly Gentleman" was unwell and called an ambulance. I remember the look on the poor old paramedics as through the crowd they pushed to find Max pissed and snoring !

Still, they could not back out because of the crowd and so they had to go through the charade of checking him over without waking him or getting caught in the fumes coming off him.

Eventually they had to bite the bullet and coax him awake.. to which he responded in the time old fashion of lashing out and swearing at the top of his voice... cue retreat of Paramedics and all and sundry !:lolol:

skr80

Oct 9, 2003
I know/knew said deceased and posted about him earlier. he was the guy who used to work at the benefit office.

From what i heared, and it's only heresay, he felt chest pains but had died before the ambulance reached him. I did find it strange that he died in early December but has still not been laid to rest.

It's a sad case as barry was a big lad, too big for the crem here so will be cremated in Lewisham and had only distant relatives so unlikely to be many to see him off but I understand there will be a service later in Brighton.

Yes - 9th Jan is the service in Brighton - pm me if you want details. I worked with Barry for several years, and played Cribbage most lunchtimes with him. A real shame, very nice man, very private, but enjoyed his beer and cards.

FAO Buzzer - you prat.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Apologies. My post was OTT and I was a bit pished when i posted it. Have popped £20 online to the Stroke Association.

challengechappers

Sep 14, 2005
as the 999 operator supposedly heard the crew say "it isn't worth resuscitating him" - just wondering whether they meant he had stopped breathing for more than two minutes, meaning if they could resus him successfully, more than likely he would be a vegetable (btw- isn't this what happened to 1066gull?)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
as the 999 operator supposedly heard the crew say "it isn't worth resuscitating him" - just wondering whether they meant he had stopped breathing for more than two minutes, meaning if they could resus him successfully, more than likely he would be a vegetable (btw- isn't this what happened to 1066gull?)

I think you will find it is more than two minutes before the brain, starved of oxygen, becomes a vegetable. Bit more like twenty and even then can depend on other factors, for example, people revived from freezing water have been resusitated long after 20 minutes with complete success.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I think you will find it is more than two minutes before the brain, starved of oxygen, becomes a vegetable. Bit more like twenty and even then can depend on other factors, for example, people revived from freezing water have been resusitated long after 20 minutes with complete success.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Yes - 9th Jan is the service in Brighton - pm me if you want details. I worked with Barry for several years, and played Cribbage most lunchtimes with him. A real shame, very nice man, very private, but enjoyed his beer and cards.

FAO Buzzer - you prat.

Cheers, I'll probably get details when I return to work next week & intend to be there to pay my respects. Will PM you later, as it's NYE.

As regards to barry, well he idalled 999 and, presumably, also opened the door so they could get to him. he was asking for help, they should have made the effort.

maybe they didn't fancy the size of him. if dead then it's somebodyelse's problem.

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
What makes this even more worrying in my view is that, if they've left the poor bloke to die this time after making a judgement based on the state of his home, how many other times have they done the same but not been caught? Do the paramedics decide not to bother to resuscitate someone just because the person is too old or because they've not had a good hoover round for a few weeks every time someone else isn't around to watch over them. Very worrying.

challengechappers

Sep 14, 2005

1- anyone who starts a reply with "i think you will find" is generally, i think you will find, a bit a bit of a Tool.

2- if you read my lines again, you will read "for more than two minutes" just as you are saying, while you have replied in your patronising tone as if i said "two minutes".

3- only mentioned it because in this country the accused are presumed innocent and have to be proven guilty. not on nsc tho.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What makes this even more worrying in my view is that, if they've left the poor bloke to die this time after making a judgement based on the state of his home, how many other times have they done the same but not been caught? Do the paramedics decide not to bother to resuscitate someone just because the person is too old or because they've not had a good hoover round for a few weeks every time someone else isn't around to watch over them. Very worrying.

Where on earth does it imply they made their decision based on the state of his house. A friend of mine was a paramedic and I know numerous people who work in intensive care wards. None of them, as far as I am aware, are disrespectful of patients to their faces or relatives, but most do have to retain some sense of humour and perspective as they, unlike most of us, are dealing with death on a regular basis.

1- anyone who starts a reply with "i think you will find" is generally, i think you will find, a bit a bit of a Tool. not worthy of comment really!

2- if you read my lines again, you will read "for more than two minutes" just as you are saying, while you have replied in your patronising tone as if i said "two minutes". There is quite a difference between 2 minutes and 20 though. You might just as well have said two seconds. You merely create the wrong impression that after two minutes you are not worth saving other than possibly for an organ harvest!!!!!

3- only mentioned it because in this country the accused are presumed innocent and have to be proven guilty. not on nsc tho.
Agree, this is a bit like the Gerrard thread where half the posters are assuming guilt.

At the end of the day, I very much suspect that if everyone was 'miked up' without realising it then they would say things they regret about friends, family and colleagues!!!!!!!!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Whatever the phone operator heared was enough for them to report it to a Supervisor and then supervisor/management felt it was worthy of reporting to the police.

No smoke without fire, as they say in bangkok.

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
Where on earth does it imply they made their decision based on the state of his house. A friend of mine was a paramedic and I know numerous people who work in intensive care wards. None of them, as far as I am aware, are disrespectful of patients to their faces or relatives, but most do have to retain some sense of humour and perspective as they, unlike most of us, are dealing with death on a regular basis.

It specifically mentions in the article below that the paramedics commented on the state of Mr Baker's house which is why I mentioned it:

Telegraph Article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here