Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blimey! 2 Ambulancemen arrested in Brighton charged with negligence following a death

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sussex/7805362.stm

Two paramedics have been arrested on suspicion of neglecting to perform a public duty following the death of a man in Brighton.
South East Coast Ambulance Service said the men, aged 35 and 44, and both from Brighton, had been questioned and bailed to a date in January 2009. The pair have been suspended from the ambulance service pending the Sussex Police investigation. Barry Baker, 58, died at his home in Braybon Avenue on 29 November.
Blah de blah de blah. So what do we reckon to that then, eh?

Would you consider it mitigating circumstances if Barry Baker supported Palace? Should people give their children first names with the same initial letter as their surname? Did you giggle just a bit when you read the line "failing to perform"?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I know/knew said deceased and posted about him earlier. he was the guy who used to work at the benefit office.

From what i heared, and it's only heresay, he felt chest pains but had died before the ambulance reached him. I did find it strange that he died in early December but has still not been laid to rest.

It's a sad case as barry was a big lad, too big for the crem here so will be cremated in Lewisham and had only distant relatives so unlikely to be many to see him off but I understand there will be a service later in Brighton.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Ahh... I remember that post, good bloke by all accounts but if the ambulance reached him after he died where's the negligence? It's not as if the ambulancemen used his body for an impromptu poker table or anything. I'm confused.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
If you dig out the Telegraph's version of the story it goes into greater detail. Apparently, the guy phoned 999 then had a heart attack leaving the phone line open and enabling the phone operator to hear the conversation the two ambulancemen had when they entered property which brought about this charge.

See Telegraph story

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
If they did let him die, then they were just saving Sussex County doing the job like they normally do.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Thanks for that link

Pretty disgusting behavior, who are they to judge who is worth bothering with especially when looking around at the state of tidyness of his house. The guy had difficulty walking FFS.

He was not the fittest and may well have died anyway but this is just deplorable.

D

Deleted User X18H

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sussex/7805362.stm

Two paramedics have been arrested on suspicion of neglecting to perform a public duty following the death of a man in Brighton.
South East Coast Ambulance Service said the men, aged 35 and 44, and both from Brighton, had been questioned and bailed to a date in January 2009. The pair have been suspended from the ambulance service pending the Sussex Police investigation. Barry Baker, 58, died at his home in Braybon Avenue on 29 November.
Blah de blah de blah. So what do we reckon to that then, eh?

Would you consider it mitigating circumstances if Barry Baker supported Palace? Should people give their children first names with the same initial letter as their surname? Did you giggle just a bit when you read the line "failing to perform"?
No but I would consider your comments OFFENSIVE if people on here knew the deceased personally you really do have an axe to grind don't you ..............:nono:

D

Deleted User X18H

Oh dear, Buzzer strikes again.
He just strikes me as a sad individual sitting at home looking for ways to be offensive at the momment shame he is such as nice guy when you meet him in person...................'ahem'

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
It's a very scary circumstance, and it's not the first time the ambulance service has had it's shortcomings.

When I was shopping in southampton, there was an old guy that was slumped on a park bench with a load of people around him. I did my instinctive run down the high street to see if he was alright - apparently the guy had been fitting and he was very confused - someone was (quite rightfully) phoning the ambulance - and they said that they'd be there asap. 5 minutes ater the guy was still really confused and fitted a couple more times with only me as the "trained" one, and a first responder came over and said that they'd been stepped down as they didn't see it as an emergency, but he'd happened to be around the corner at the time!! So i'd have been left on my own with this guy who was fitting all the time without anyone to come and help for about half an hour - when the ambulance turned up, without the blue lights, looking very sheepish once they'd worked out what was happening!! Very scary to say the least.

The ambulance service are stretched to their very limit - i understand that, so are nurses - but that shouldn't get in the way of being professional. Brighton have a really good primary angioplasty center, and had the ambulance men got him there quickly, the guy may well still be here.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
very sad indeed, I'd best log off now as I feel a bit sweaty and I can't seem to get my todger out of this Dyson...

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It's a very scary circumstance, and it's not the first time the ambulance service has had it's shortcomings.

When I was shopping in southampton, there was an old guy that was slumped on a park bench with a load of people around him. I did my instinctive run down the high street to see if he was alright - apparently the guy had been fitting and he was very confused - someone was (quite rightfully) phoning the ambulance - and they said that they'd be there asap. 5 minutes ater the guy was still really confused and fitted a couple more times with only me as the "trained" one, and a first responder came over and said that they'd been stepped down as they didn't see it as an emergency, but he'd happened to be around the corner at the time!! So i'd have been left on my own with this guy who was fitting all the time without anyone to come and help for about half an hour - when the ambulance turned up, without the blue lights, looking very sheepish once they'd worked out what was happening!! Very scary to say the least.

The ambulance service are stretched to their very limit - i understand that, so are nurses - but that shouldn't get in the way of being professional. Brighton have a really good primary angioplasty center, and had the ambulance men got him there quickly, the guy may well still be here.

Obviously I dont know the full circumstances or of course what was said to control in the telephone call but it is not generally an emergency situation if somebody has an Epileptic fit, in fact when they come round fully the last thing they want to do is go to hospital. Your case may of course required hospital treatment but if the person phoning for the ambulance didnt explain things properly then that could have been the main contributing factor.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Oh dear, Buzzer strikes again.

Are you going to stalk me across the board for perpetuity? Christ, your life must be so fulfilling. I'm honoured, I'm sure. Be a love and plonk me on ignore.

He just strikes me as a sad individual sitting at home looking for ways to be offensive at the momment shame he is such as nice guy when you meet him in person...................'ahem'

As opposed to a sad individual standing up at home, I suppose.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
it is not generally an emergency situation if somebody has an Epileptic fit,

You're right Gazwag. One of the blokes we used to play football with often had fits after the game. Standard procedure was to put him in the showers with the kit.

*I'll get my coat*

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here