Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blatter Out !

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
If they use it at the finals they need to use it when Tonga play Western Samoa.

Why would they?

Wimbledon use technology and appeals, but that doesn't mean the whole tournament does. It only applies on the show courts.

If the cost is such a hurdle - and I don't believe it is - then start with it at the main tournament, and then decide how far down we can feed it, rather than starting at the bottom, and just because Western Somoa can't afford it, then Brazil can't have it in the World Cup Final.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Why would they?

Wimbledon use technology and appeals, but that doesn't mean the whole tournament does. It only applies on the show courts.

If the cost is such a hurdle - and I don't believe it is - then start with it at the main tournament, and then decide how far down we can feed it, rather than starting at the bottom, and just because Western Somoa can't afford it, then Brazil can't have it in the World Cup Final.

But, that's one of the mainstays of Blatters reign - everything must be the same from top to bottom .... we all know it isn't already, but there you go.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
But, that's one of the mainstays of Blatters reign - everything must be the same from top to bottom .... we all know it isn't already, but there you go.

Which is one of the reasons why he must go, because he's holding the game back because of a moral stance that doesn't even exist.

Hands up the last time someone on here played on a SUnday morning with a 4th official, let alone additional linesmen by each goal as we had in the UEFA Cup. Do all levels of football have the same number of substitutes?

And yet he ignores all technology because of this already false belief that everything must remain the same at all levels. The guy is damaging the game.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
For me it has to be an official on the side of the pitch with a monitor who can advise the ref if there is a potential error.

But humans are fallible, if the ref and the lino can't see something then who's to say that an extra official will and would they be willing to over rule the main match referee?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
But humans are fallible, if the ref and the lino can't see something then who's to say that an extra official will and would they be willing to over rule the main match referee?

Those close decisions that are arguable are always going to remain, but the farce of that Tevez goal last night was embarrassing. The stadium TV had shown a replay of the "goal" so the whole stadium, including the officials could clearly see - before the game had restarted - that Tevez was offside, but no-one could reverse the decision even though they knew they were wrong.

Sports as tied to the past as Cricket must have been watching footballs showpiece in utter disbelief.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I reckon video replays for goal decisions only. The 4th referee (or a 5th ref) watches a replay and if he thinks the ball is blatantly over the line he buzzes the ref and play stops.

Any referal system will kill football.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Sorry to drag up this subject from last month but was bored and have been looking through this with interest.

I feel a point is being missed here.

If a contentious decision / situation occurs a la Lampard's goal vs Germany, play should continue (play to the whistle, remember?!).

A 4th official then sets about examining the goal-line tech evidence (apparently takes a matter of seconds only) and informs the ref through his earpiece of the outcome.

If it's no goal play continues and the players will know it's no-goal / inconclusive. If it IS a goal play is stopped and the goal awarded....anything that occurs AFTER the original incident (including any goals that have managed to be scored in such a short time) are disregarded.

If this system is in place and understood by the football community at large, they will have no problem with it.

It really is that simple.

The two extra officials idea is a red herring! They were met with a lack of positive feedback in The Europa League last season anyway, from what I've heard.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here