Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blatter Out !

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Another example of why technology needs to be introduced

The Argentina vs Mexico game had a goal scored by Tevez who was standing several feet off side, they replayed the incident at the ground and everyone in the stadium knew a massive error had been made by the officials but the officials were unable to rule the goal out even though they knew it shouldn't have counted.

Something needs to be introduced, Fifa will make countless millions from this tournament, so they could easily pay for the technology in smaller countries who would otherwise not be able to afford it and its something that will benefit the game by helping the referees, who otherwise are subjected to massive abuse if they make this sort of error.

I really think that moment will be the turning point in the argument. The officials had seen the replay but were left looking totally powerless.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
England didn't go out because of Sepp Blatter, they went out because the Germans put four goals past them ???

Didn't say they did. The fact remains though that a corrupt bride taking dinosaur runs football and the technology would have given England another goal and quite correctly. The bloke is corrupt and senile and should go for the good of the game.

steve-c

Ive got Work tomorrow :down:

LIKEWISE..................but then 2 weeks off ............to watch the................................................flowers grow in the garden , while drinking all the beer i got in to.........................wait for the new season to begin, c'mon yopu seagulls,:albion1::albion1::albion1:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Refs retire every year, for physical reasons, so why can't the 4th official be an experinced ref, sat with a TV monitor and micked up to the on the field ref?

The ref and linesmen cannot see everything so let technology help. The flow of the game will hardly be changed as most contentious decisions lead to moments of argie-bargy anyway.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As I have suggested on another thread about this isuue why not bring in 2 more linos. 1 in each half to patrol from the goal line to the edge of the penalty box and the other the area between the edge of the box to the halfway line. The game now is too fast and the ball travels too fast for 1 man to be able to act as a lino. There would then be 2 linos on each side of the pitch. This could be implemented at virtually no cost at all levels from International to Sunday morning pub teams.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
As I have suggested on another thread about this isuue why not bring in 2 more linos. 1 in each half to patrol from the goal line to the edge of the penalty box and the other the area between the edge of the box to the halfway line. The game now is too fast and the ball travels too fast for 1 man to be able to act as a lino. There would then be 2 linos on each side of the pitch. This could be implemented at virtually no cost at all levels from International to Sunday morning pub teams.

Did UEFA not do that in the Europa League this season? , but behind the goals :thumbsup: What do 2 extra officials cost?? Bugger all really!

It would have been ruled a goal then :p

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The lino was caught out and was well out of position to see if it was a goal or not so the ref couldnt give it. A lino operating from the goal line to the edge of the area from the right back position and one operating from the edge of the area to the halfway line from the left midfield posiiton would have less chance of missing such an incident. Or indeed offsides etc and would cost next to nothing.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Hypothetically:

what happens then, we use the goalline technology to see if the balls gone in - does that mean stoping the play? What if the other team are now breaking on the counter attack with men over and a good chance of scoring? Does the ref let the game carry on until the ball goes out of play? What if the ball isn't over the line and the ref stops play with the opposition on the counter attack, they wouldn't be happy would they?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
it doesn't though. It is used in rugby and doesn't slow the game down at all

The ball is dead when there is a potential try and there is a natural break in play.

What would happen if say, the Lampard shot had not crossed the line and the Germans were in possession and able to launch aa decent counter-attack? They would wrongly be denied the chance to hit England on the break.

Edit: Just read Conboy's post above. :blush:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Hypothetically:

what happens then, we use the goalline technology to see if the balls gone in - does that mean stoping the play? What if the other team are now breaking on the counter attack with men over and a good chance of scoring? Does the ref let the game carry on until the ball goes out of play? What if the ball isn't over the line and the ref stops play with the opposition on the counter attack, they wouldn't be happy would they?

Exactly.

Furthermore, where does technology end? As John Motson said once you open the box there will be no end to it. Football is a success because it is the same at all levels no matter international or park and I don't think you have can have 1 rule for one and not the others.

get the feeling that all hell will be let loose after this though and FIFA will buckle unfortunately

Amazing irony that in alot of cases, the game is held up more by protesting players compared to the few seconds it takes to watch a replay. I do believe though it should only be used for the goal-line and nothing else.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
If they use it at the finals they need to use it when Tonga play Western Samoa.

And how much money do you think that will cost?

Oh, of course, I forgot. There's no money in football, is there? The World Cup tournament just about broke even.

If there was a will to use the technology, the money would not be an object.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Exactly.

Furthermore, where does technology end? As John Motson said once you open the box there will be no end to it. Football is a success because it is the same at all levels no matter international or park and I don't think you have can have 1 rule for one and not the others.

get the feeling that all hell will be let loose after this though and FIFA will buckle unfortunately

Plus, goaline techology would have given Fat Frank his goal, but what about the Argie offside - it could not have spotted that. In theory I'm for techonology, it's the 21st century FFS, but it has to work and be practical.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
It takes a few seconds for a replay to confirm a goal or not. The Mexicans were arguing with the officials for a good 3 or 4 minutes. In that instance a reply would've got thing sorted quicker.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
It takes a few seconds for a replay to confirm a goal or not. The Mexicans were arguing with the officials for a good 3 or 4 minutes. In that instance a reply would've got thing sorted quicker.

But there was a break in play because of the goal - yes, that instance would have worked. But as others point out, what happens if the dending team break and score - which can be done in 6 or 7 seconds, where do you stop it ? I guess the ref can blow, and restart with a drop-ball or something similar. I quite like the Linneker idea of 3 appeals per game, a-la tennis.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Tennis is a good example as is (dare I say it) American football where the teams can appeal a decision.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Tennis is a good example as is (dare I say it) American football where the teams can appeal a decision.

But both have natural breaks in play, Football doesn't unless the ball is actually out of play. Yesterday Germany were up the other end and having a shot about 20 seconds after the 'goal' where would the video have been used?

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
For me it has to be an official on the side of the pitch with a monitor who can advise the ref if there is a potential error. It doesn't need to stop the game until the official on the side has seen it and then he can communicate to the ref the game needs to stop to look, at this point its up to the ref to decide there's a potential break in play to look.

At this point if there is a goal the ref can award it and if need be add the wasted time back on at the end. It will happen a MAXIMUM of 2 or 3 times a match, maybe adding on 3 minutes in the whole game!

And for the arguement that it needs to be available at all levels of the game that's a crock of shit, i've played plenty of Sunday league games where one of the managers/team/fans has had to ref cos there weren't enough qualified ones, let alone having proper lino's for the games. If the game is that important then the money will be there for the technology, if not it can't be that important a game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here