Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blaney Deal is Off

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Kinky Gerbils said:
And Kuipers ios slower off his line than Hendo!
He got lobbed exactly the same way as Hendo at the JPT Bristol game but no-one went mad on Nsc.

johnny jigsaw

"My life's in pieces"
I'm a bit disappointed by this Blayney situation.

We went through a couple of dodgy keepers (Shaaban, Yelldell?) in 2004/05 before we bought Blayney in & I thought he did as much as anyone to keep us up that season. I thought he would have been a really good signing after the job he did for us, but we messed about over the £40k asking price & made ourselves look a bit silly, in my opinion. We were about to start the season without a keeper as I recall, until Henderson came in on the last Thursday.

Then, a year later, he came back in our hour of need and, although he looked less impressive to start, he got stronger after a few games & save a couple of penalties for us. At the time, Henderson was also on loan with us & we had to make a decision on who we kept, so it was Blayney who was ushered out the door.

Now we are once again in the market for a keeper & Blayney is available. We know all about his abilities, he's done well for us in the past, he knows the set up here & most of the players, he's youngish & free. Surely it's a no-brainer? I'm not saying he's the best keeper out there, but he's certainly decent enough for us. Experienced keepers aren't going to come down here on-loan to sit on the bench & they aren't going to accept a 6-month contract to sign up permanently. And there's no point signing a young, untested keeper, as we've got 2 of our own prospects available.

I know you could argue that we don't need another senior keeper, but FDM is prone to injuries (& gaffes) and if something goes wrong we're going to be left in a bad position.

Maybe there's something else to this story, but I'm convinced he was worth taking on for 18 months.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
The Complete Badger said:
Signing another goalie would be a waste of time and money. We have a Dutch god on the books, and a couple of decent youngsters (especially Sullivan) who in my opinion should now be given the chance to fight it out to be number 2. It would be absolutely pointless wasting money on a position where we have a decent man in place. I am fully expecting the lord to be given a new deal in the summer, and Sullivan will be pressuring him by this time next year.

Funny I though we had Kuipers on our books but you are suggesting we have someone who can actually do a job! ;)

chez

Jul 5, 2003
johnny jigsaw said:
I'm a bit disappointed by this Blayney situation.

We went through a couple of dodgy keepers (Shaaban, Yelldell?) in 2004/05 before we bought Blayney in & I thought he did as much as anyone to keep us up that season. I thought he would have been a really good signing after the job he did for us, but we messed about over the £40k asking price & made ourselves look a bit silly, in my opinion. We were about to start the season without a keeper as I recall, until Henderson came in on the last Thursday.

Then, a year later, he came back in our hour of need and, although he looked less impressive to start, he got stronger after a few games & save a couple of penalties for us. At the time, Henderson was also on loan with us & we had to make a decision on who we kept, so it was Blayney who was ushered out the door.

Now we are once again in the market for a keeper & Blayney is available. We know all about his abilities, he's done well for us in the past, he knows the set up here & most of the players, he's youngish & free. Surely it's a no-brainer? I'm not saying he's the best keeper out there, but he's certainly decent enough for us. Experienced keepers aren't going to come down here on-loan to sit on the bench & they aren't going to accept a 6-month contract to sign up permanently. And there's no point signing a young, untested keeper, as we've got 2 of our own prospects available.

I know you could argue that we don't need another senior keeper, but FDM is prone to injuries (& gaffes) and if something goes wrong we're going to be left in a bad position.

Maybe there's something else to this story, but I'm convinced he was worth taking on for 18 months.

There i'm quite annoyed about this, I was looking forward to seeing Blayney back in the team but as you say at the end of you r post maybe there is something else to the story. I'm just wondering whether it could involve Ben Roberts. If it does involve Ben re signing then Kuipers would have to go because we couldnt afford to have two injury prone keepers on the books.

Come On Ben, Brighton need you! :bowdown:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I am very confused. Ben Roberts can now play football? Based on waht? Has he been playign for a team soemwehre... has he tested out his injury in full training.

Unless soemones knows soemthign concrete this seems to be a MASSIVE risk. Faced with the choice of Blaney for 18 months or Ben Roberts on a wing and a prayer then I'd take Blaney. For Sullivan it's still one year too early.

chez

Jul 5, 2003
SULLY COULDNT SHOOT said:
I am very confused. Ben Roberts can now play football? Based on waht? Has he been playign for a team soemwehre... has he tested out his injury in full training.

Unless soemones knows soemthign concrete this seems to be a MASSIVE risk. Faced with the choice of Blaney for 18 months or Ben Roberts on a wing and a prayer then I'd take Blaney. For Sullivan it's still one year too early.

But he has been training with us for some time I think. As we saw with Revells injury, the players aren't exactly wrapped up in cotton wool in training sessions so I imagine his back has been tested. On the other hand, how many times do you see a player come back from injury only to get injured in their first game back.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Exactly! I'd want him to play a few friendlies before we made a decision.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here