Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blame Harveys not Greene King

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
sagaman said:
I am told that Harveys are the only brewery without a proper marketing/sales function because they alway sell 100% of their product

Thats not true. They have a sales team, and members often visit freehouses with their latest offerings.

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Cake- You may well be better informed than me
BUT I know of an outlet that struggled to get Harveys and thought that they could not be a...d to provide their esteemed ale

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
sagaman said:
Cake- You may well be better informed than me
BUT I know of an outlet that struggled to get Harveys and thought that they could not be a...d to provide their esteemed ale

Call me Biscuit. :lolol:

Where was the outlet?

If you already sell Harveys, then you are offered new products from them. Its just they don't offer their latest products to anyone who isn't already an existing customer. As I gather anyway. In the freehouse where I worked, we would get a monthly visit.

Baby Burtz

Feb 27, 2006
Brighton
yh i work for greene king in rottingdean

and how much shit we get for not selling it anymore. heard from other customers that speckled hen is better. personally i hate bitters.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Baby Burtz said:
yh i work for greene king in rottingdean

and how much shit we get for not selling it anymore. heard from other customers that speckled hen is better. personally i hate bitters.

Not The Black Horse on the High Street? It's a disgrace they don't sell it. I gather they lost an awful lot of custom through it as well. The Coach House is raking it in because they do sell the big H.

PS Why two usernames?

Last edited:

Baby Burtz

Feb 27, 2006
Brighton
soz didnt realise my brother was still signed in

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Stoke said:

If Greene King allow the landlords to buy Harveys from the Beer Seller then the landlord could buy anything from them.

That is not exactly true as I do some work for a company that uses Beer Seller but they place a restriction with Beer Seller that they are not to supply anything other than certain lines and they must be on account so that the company can monitor what is happening. They are not permitted to buy any other products even if it is for a third party, and definitely no cash transactions.

Any Tom Dick or Harry can call at Harveys and buy a cask no problem.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Cake said:
Not The Black Horse on the High Street? It's a disgrace they don't sell it. I gather they lost an awful lot of custom through it as well. The Coach House is raking it in because they do sell the big H.

PS Why two usernames?

I wont go to the Black Horse since they stopped selling Harveys and put a bloody plasma screen into a 15th century pub.

The Plough on the other hand serves a very fine pint of Ousewater.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Cake said:
Thats not true. They have a sales team, and members often visit freehouses with their latest offerings.

They have a very poor sales team who are not interested in selling their beers because Harvey are brewing to virtual capacity already and do not wish to become bigger, at least that is what Miles and Hamish told me.

I must disagree with one comment made by Lord B. Greene King were well established in Sussex many years ago as part of the old monopolies commission ruling.

GK had many pubs in East Anglia and none in Sussex, Ind Coope & Allsop (Friary Meux originally) had a monopoly in Gods Sussex i.e West Sussex, and the monopolies commission told them that they had to break this monopoly so they exchanged 300 pubs throught Sussex with each other.

Ind Coope were swallowed up by Allied Breweries who eventually ceased brewing as have Whitbreads and went into property management of their pubs and let the majority of their pubs out on 20 years leases.

BensGrandad said:
I must disagree with one comment made by Lord B. Greene King were well established in Sussex many years ago
I'll take your word for it. My comment (two years ago!) was probably intended to mean that GK bought the Beards pubs to gain a foothold in a part of Sussex where they hadn't previously been well represented.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
These pubs that don't sell tepid swamp water sound fantastic. I'll have to give them a try.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Not entirely related, but I had the shock of my life tonight, when going into a particularly poncy bar in Clapham High Street tonight (after the fireworks), I found they had Harveys Best Bitter on tap.

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

I didn't get the chance to try it having already ordered, but I did observe that the locals were lapping it up.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Harveys, the first beer I threw up as a teenager.

Slowhand

Aug 24, 2005
Near Lewes
BensGrandad said:
That is not exactly true as I do some work for a company that uses Beer Seller but they place a restriction with Beer Seller that they are not to supply anything other than certain lines and they must be on account so that the company can monitor what is happening. They are not permitted to buy any other products even if it is for a third party, and definitely no cash transactions.

Any Tom Dick or Harry can call at Harveys and buy a cask no problem.

I think the point is that the landlord at a Greene King pub can only buy beer through Greene King. Which is why Greene King could make Harveys a guest beer, as stated by their MD, but Greene King would buy it centrally and roll it out as part of their distribution process. But Harveys won't sell it to Greene King to allow them to do it. Which I suspect is why this thread is titled as it is.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Went to the Lamb for lunch on Firday (Don't ask) and looked for the Harvey's pump. After seeing the Green King IPA :sick: I excalimed, "Oh f***ing hell it's a Green King pub!" The barmaid replied, "Sorry, it's not our fault..."

:lolol:

Slowhand said:
... But Harveys won't sell it to Greene King to allow them to do it. Which I suspect is why this thread is titled as it is.
Harveys is already sold at the Lewes Arms, so clearly the two breweries have found a way of achieving this.

All that is needed is to keep things as they are.

Word on the streets is that the chances of GK backing down are growing.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Slowhand said:
I think the point is that the landlord at a Greene King pub can only buy beer through Greene King. Which is why Greene King could make Harveys a guest beer, as stated by their MD, but Greene King would buy it centrally and roll it out as part of their distribution process. But Harveys won't sell it to Greene King to allow them to do it. Which I suspect is why this thread is titled as it is.

I agree 100% about the tied buying policy of GK as with all major companies but under the terms of the monoplies commission directive ALL tenants and lease holders must be allowed the option of buying a guest ale and freedom of tie on cider. I think that the inference on here, by some , was that if e.g Beer Sellers supplied it the publican could buy other goods. I was pointing out that GK can veto that through wholesalers. I would agree with GK buying it centrally as Enterprise do with London Pride and others.

The crux of the matter is that Harveys DO NOT WANT to increase their barrelage produced. I am sure that Miles and Hamish when I was speaking to them about it some time go said it was to do with taxation and legislation because it would take them out of the category of small independant brewers. I may have misinterpreted it but I don't think so.

Slowhand

Aug 24, 2005
Near Lewes
Lord Bracknell said:
Harveys is already sold at the Lewes Arms, so clearly the two breweries have found a way of achieving this.

All that is needed is to keep things as they are.

Word on the streets is that the chances of GK backing down are growing.

I think that is because it was managed rather than tenanted, or the other way round, which is why it was not removed at the original time of sale like the other pubs. It is all owned by Greene King but the managed pubs are run by a separate division to the tenanted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here