Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blame Harveys not Greene King

BensGrandad said:
The crux of the matter is that Harveys DO NOT WANT to increase their barrelage produced. I am sure that Miles and Hamish when I was speaking to them about it some time go said it was to do with taxation and legislation because it would take them out of the category of small independant brewers. I may have misinterpreted it but I don't think so.
Given that Miles and Hamish are not unknown in the Lewes Arms, my guess is that they are perfectly happy for the customers of that pub to carry on drinking what they have been drinking for generations ... Harveys.

Greene King's problem is that NOBODY is buying their inferior product ... even though they have the choice.

Aux Armes, Citoyens

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Lord Bracknell said:
drinking what they have been drinking for generations ... Harveys.

Greene King's problem is that NOBODY is buying their inferior product ... even though they have the choice.

Aux Armes, Citoyens

That is only in this very tiny neck of the woods. Nationally GK have excellant sales of IPA and Abbott which is stocked by most major chains.

I am an ale drinker but Harveys is the last beer that I will chose of the real ales if there are others as an option, but that is personal choice, and animosity towards Harveys management.

Slowhand

Aug 24, 2005
Near Lewes
I can imagine that Harveys decided that they did not need the headache of owning pubs to sell all that they produce.

Greene King probably thought that owning loads of pubs would be the only way they would ever sell anything to the less discerning in Sussex (fruit based cocktail for the ladies), as long as they sold it alongside Harveys to the very discerning. However, Harveys probably knew Greene King would have to pay a premium to someone for the beer based on the law of supply and demand knowing what grief Green King would have in Lewes without it.

Harveys were right, their beer will sell whatever.

Greene King were right. Lewesians wouldn't go into a pub without Harveys if they didn't have to, other than to ask for directions to a pub that sold Harveys.

Harveys will need to make their beer available to Greene King on commercially acceptable terms and we will all be happy.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Harveys can not supply anymore beer as they are running at capacity. When Enterprise entered into an agreement with harveys to supply local pubs through S & N depot in Lewes, they completely underestimated the sales and were constantly out of stock. I ran three pubs and had major problems getting my fill of the good ale.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
PILTDOWN MAN said:
Harveys can not supply anymore beer as they are running at capacity. When Enterprise entered into an agreement with harveys to supply local pubs through S & N depot in Lewes, they completely underestimated the sales and were constantly out of stock. I ran three pubs and had major problems getting my fill of the good ale.

Did you ever get a discount from Harveys, as The Piltdown Man was a freehouse.

BensGrandad said:
That is only in this very tiny neck of the woods. Nationally GK have excellant sales of IPA and Abbott which is stocked by most major chains.
It may be a tiny neck of the woods, but it's MY neck of the woods, not the manor of a plc from Bury St Edmunds.

Aux Armes, Citoyens

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
BensGrandad said:
Did you ever get a discount from Harveys, as The Piltdown Man was a freehouse.

I never had The Piltdown Man pub I just lived in the village, my pubs were in Horsham, Staplefield & Cuckfield

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
BensGrandad said:

I am an ale drinker but Harveys is the last beer that I will chose of the real ales if there are others as an option, but that is personal choice, and animosity towards Harveys management.

:ban:

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A few years ago my pub in Guildford was featured in The Sun as selling the cheapest pint of beer in the country which was Harveys Best.

ITV wanted to come and film at the pub and The Sun wanted to come and interview customers and staff etc. Due to the publicity we had a run on Harveys and I had to collect 6 X18 gal Best that Harveys brightened for me. When I picked them up in my mates transit they asked if the bar staff would wear their Harveys Polo shirts which I agreed to. I was taken to the little shop that they operated and ' given' 1 shirt for each member of staff and only charged £5 each instead of the usual £6.00 so for all of this publicity they gave me £5.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Update on the Black Horse at Rottingdean. It was a top-draw pub with a large number of locals and those who would always go there when back visiting family etc. Now it is just another pub.

Goiung out for a pint in Rottingdean I am as likely to go to the Plough (that sells Harveys) or the Coach and Horses (that sells Harveys). I have almost been in The White Horse (that sells Harveys). And going in the White Horse to a Black Horse regular would be unheard of.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
BensGrandad said:
A few years ago my pub in Guildford was featured in The Sun as selling the cheapest pint of beer in the country which was Harveys Best.

ITV wanted to come and film at the pub and The Sun wanted to come and interview customers and staff etc. Due to the publicity we had a run on Harveys and I had to collect 6 X18 gal Best that Harveys brightened for me. When I picked them up in my mates transit they asked if the bar staff would wear their Harveys Polo shirts which I agreed to. I was taken to the little shop that they operated and ' given' 1 shirt for each member of staff and only charged £5 each instead of the usual £6.00 so for all of this publicity they gave me £5.

you were selling the nectar BRIGHT!!?!?!?

What sort of animal are you? Bright beer is for the novice that has no idea how to keep proper beer. I would be well pissed off getting a FLAT harvey's in a pub!! Even if it was CHEAP!

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Dick Knights Mumm said:
Update on the Black Horse at Rottingdean. It was a top-draw pub with a large number of locals and those who would always go there when back visiting family etc. Now it is just another pub.

Goiung out for a pint in Rottingdean I am as likely to go to the Plough (that sells Harveys) or the Coach and Horses (that sells Harveys). I have almost been in The White Horse (that sells Harveys). And going in the White Horse to a Black Horse regular would be unheard of.

Which one is the Black horse? It is the one on the right (towards the main road) next to the pond?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Best way to support Harveys: if passing through Rottingdean, go into the Black Horse and ask for Harveys - when they say they don't have it then ask which pubs in Rott. do and pointedly leave.

Boycotts only work when the boycotted know.

PG.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Peter Grummit said:
Best way to support Harveys: if passing through Rottingdean, go into the Black Horse and ask for Harveys - when they say they don't have it then ask which pubs in Rott. do and pointedly leave.

Boycotts only work when the boycotted know.

PG.

Good point. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here