Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Black managers

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Doesn't matter if you are black, brown, yellow or red. If you don't make money you will be gone. Fact. Maybe red is pushing it actually.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Managers irrelevant of their ability as a player will struggle to get a job at a top club, only if they are a club legend will they get the opportunity as the chairman has a relationship with them. Very few foreign players stay long enough at a club to get such a status, so if they fancy a job as manager then they need to be applying for one at a league 1 side or lower.

If there were queues of black experienced managers not getting top jobs then it may be an indicator that football is racist but very few black players go into coaching or management so very few get jobs.

John Barnes was lucky to get the Celtic job and understandably hasn't been given anything else much since. Each chairman has to make the best appointment they can and that comes with a c.v to boast what they can do

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Good article from a single fire brigade demonstrating the negatives of discrimination in whatever form it takes. Clearly an unrepresentative brigade whether all white, or all non-white are not hiring the best people, because there is discrimination occurring. Thank you for backing up my point.

I know a fireman who sat on the local interview boards in London , top man and good strong fireman , he gave up the job because he couldn't rely on the people around him in dangerous situations . And it was generally known they had to give a certain amount of jobs to blacks and women.

That's interesting, did he say which people? Surely not just ethnic minorities and women!? I'd be interested to know if there is some genetic reasoning as to what makes a white male more reliable at fighting fires than any other human beings!?

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
That isn't what you asked though! You asked who was the last person to get a manager's job in the EPL without managerial experience. I think Steve Clarke is the answer. And Steve Kean did it a couple of years ago. And Gareth Southgate not too long before that.

Of course most jobs go to people with experience. I can't think of many industries where you would get the top job with no relevant track record.

Alan Shearer

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
That's interesting, did he say which people? Surely not just ethnic minorities and women!? I'd be interested to know if there is some genetic reasoning as to what makes a white male more reliable at fighting fires than any other human beings!?
h didnt say that , and i think you're deliberately missing the point he was making , in that he was forced to hire people who werent suited to the job simply for their ethnicity.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
h didnt say that , and i think you're deliberately missing the point he was making , in that he was forced to hire people who werent suited to the job simply for their ethnicity.

I chose not to read into what he 'implied' and responded just to what he stated.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
That's interesting, did he say which people? Surely not just ethnic minorities and women!? I'd be interested to know if there is some genetic reasoning as to what makes a white male more reliable at fighting fires than any other human beings!?[/QUOTE]

There was other more suitable people in the interview , they employed a woman for example, then when he asked her to give him a firemans lift at the station she could hardly lift him off the ground , be great in a fire when he's blacked out . He has been in the fire brigade service for years so i would not go against his opinion mate and a decent guy as well so i believe him more than what you are trying to argue. If a black man got the job on merit he wouldn't have a problem , but it wasn't the case . So this is two stories you heard out of two , Avon and London so may be more truth in it that you make out to be .

Got more interesting things to do now than argue with someone that doesn't know or doesn't want to know the truth. Off down the bar now for pre game entertainment :albion2:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Fair enough, I think you're ignorant, blinkered and misguided and all to willing to seize on any opinion piece (which is all that was) and I'm sure you think the same about me. And this is not really relevant, but I'm a veteran of ANL marches, Rock Against Racism and a supporter of AFA. I only mention that to say I was 'there' back in the late 1970s and early 1980s (as much as any lower middle-class white boy could be), which is why I can say with certainty that Britain has made HUGE strides since those days. It is frustrating that people, such as that correspondent, can simply dismiss those strides as almost unimportant, or even denied that they've happened! The inference is that the problem of white racism is almost as bad as it was in the 1970s. It isn't.

I think you are missing the point I am trying to make here, I don't disagree for a second that things are better now than they were, things have moved and got a lot better and overt racism is much less prevalent now than it was and I have full respect for you and the groups of which you were part. I don't agree with the fella in the article , what i was trying to highlight to the opening few posters of this thread, who were suggesting that their is little or no racism in Britain, that there are still plenty of black and Asian people who still fell discriminated against because of their colour. Maybe using the first google example i found was not the best way to do that, but as you point out it was an opinion piece and it was the opinion I was talking about.

I do find it ironic that you call me ignorant but are so arrogant to dismiss someone else opinion and experiences so quickly. It is disappointing that he doesn't acknowledge the strides that have been taken but maybe the reason for that is that his experiences don't ring true with them.

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
A bit like someone from say , sussex , extolling the virtues of living in an area of high immigration to somebody who actually lives there ?

I reckon multiculturalism would struggle anywhere that you lived Bushy. In all honesty multiculturalism is never going to work for you because you hate other cultures.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Does John Barnes managerial career or his ethnic origin stop him from getting a top job?

Addick

Jan 20, 2008
There is only one fact in all of this. Black players are common in the game we love, black managers are not.

Off to the Valley tomorrow.

Chris Powell's Red and White Army

Night

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
I reckon multiculturalism would struggle anywhere that you lived Bushy. In all honesty multiculturalism is never going to work for you because you hate other cultures.

I dont , you look at West London , this was a few years back mind you , the place was covered in signs that i could not understand , the signs were in Indian language or something . then the schools try and teach their own culture and not the christian ways , they wanted to buy a new school and were turned down , then they asked for a Mosque to be built and they got their way > so f*** off you inbred slightly coloured , indian fuckers , if you like your culture go back to your own country , but then you wont like it because you will have no rights , so give it a rest and blend into the UK ways . Makes me f---ing sick we are so liberal and give in to minority parties , thats why i came to Czech and work hard and give to the country via taxes , f*** paying for minority people to live in the UK at tax payers expence !!!!!!!!!!!!!! probabaly get load of response , but i dont give a f--k , its my opinion .

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
Ask yourself a question, if your son or daughter said they were going to marry a black guy or girl, what would be your very first thought

My first thought would be. "I hope they have made the right choice to make them happy".
I would hope that my daughter wouldn't even think to mention something as trivial as skin colour. It would be aking to mentioning their eye colour.

The fact that you can pose the question says more about your attitudes I think.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I dont , you look at West London , this was a few years back mind you , the place was covered in signs that i could not understand , the signs were in Indian language or something . then the schools try and teach their own culture and not the christian ways , they wanted to buy a new school and were turned down , then they asked for a Mosque to be built and they got their way > so f*** off you inbred slightly coloured , indian fuckers , if you like your culture go back to your own country , but then you wont like it because you will have no rights , so give it a rest and blend into the UK ways . Makes me f---ing sick we are so liberal and give in to minority parties , thats why i came to Czech and work hard and give to the country via taxes , f*** paying for minority people to live in the UK at tax payers expence !!!!!!!!!!!!!! probabaly get load of response , but i dont give a f--k , its my opinion .

Until halfway through your post i thought you were taking the piss. Ironic that you decided the best way to get away from immigrants was to become one. Best of luck to you with the blending into czech culture thing.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think you are missing the point I am trying to make here, I don't disagree for a second that things are better now than they were, things have moved and got a lot better and overt racism is much less prevalent now than it was and I have full respect for you and the groups of which you were part. I don't agree with the fella in the article , what i was trying to highlight to the opening few posters of this thread, who were suggesting that their is little or no racism in Britain, that there are still plenty of black and Asian people who still fell discriminated against because of their colour. Maybe using the first google example i found was not the best way to do that, but as you point out it was an opinion piece and it was the opinion I was talking about.

I do find it ironic that you call me ignorant but are so arrogant to dismiss someone else opinion and experiences so quickly. It is disappointing that he doesn't acknowledge the strides that have been taken but maybe the reason for that is that his experiences don't ring true with them.

The reason I dismissed you as blinkered and ignorant is because it appeared to me that you had offered that person's opinion as 'fact' on the grounds that because he was black he must be right about racism and because I'm white I must be wrong, although you sarcastically said you'd 'bow to my experience'. You found one story (although I'm sure there are others) that met your prejudices and not only swallowed it uncritically but thought it worth sharing. As an olive branch (as having read your posts on other subjects in the past I know you're not THAT bad) and as you've admitted it might not have been the best approach I withdraw my 'ignorant' comment.

However you must appreciate that racism in 21st century Britain is not just white on non-white. As you say there are there are plenty of black and Asian people who feel discriminated against because of their color - and that discrimination comes from other non-whites. To use your 'pick a single example' technique I was at railway station in North London the other day and a chavvy mum was trying to get onto the platform with her buggy. An Asian gentleman was standing in the way and she said "Get out of the way you stupid Paki!" A racist comment obviously, and I would argue that it was not made any less racist by the fact the woman was black.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Until halfway through your post i thought you were taking the piss. Ironic that you decided the best way to get away from immigrants was to become one. Best of luck to you with the blending into czech culture thing.

Yes its not a problem , at least i now contribute the the country and change my ways to try and blend in to the society , they appreciate that !! No chance of people coming to the UK doing that , they have their own ambitions !

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yes its not a problem , at least i now contribute the the country and change my ways to try and blend in to the society , they appreciate that !! No chance of people coming to the UK doing that , they have their own ambitions !

Plenty of ex pat brits around the world make little or no attempt to blend into their new society. Just like plenty of immigrants to the UK do try to blend in. Your argument here is blinkered and twist by a massive genralisation in your last sentence. It may ring true with your experiences but this does not mean you can speak for the rest of the country.

I would love to know what these ambitions are that are shared by people coming to the UK?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here