Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Black managers

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I have just watched a debate on the footballers football show about the lack of black managers.Very interesting to hear Keith curle say that he was the only mixed race member on a pro licence course out of 26.
Football in England may have many faults but rasism is not one of them.The majority of clubs in the premier league are owned by foreigners & have a high quantity of foreign players playing for them.
The problem is that football is very tribal & fans will say anything to insult a rival player.A player they insult playing for their club one day will be supported playing for their country another day.

It's not an exact science but the majority of managers in England are either ex players that have played for a certain club or ex players that have played at the highest level either home or abroad.
If a club is willing to invest millions of pounds to buy a black player why would they not invest the same for a black manager.

Football these days is small group of white millionares making money out of talented black people. You'll never get many black managers.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
It's almost impossible for any manager to get their first job at a top division club, very few chairmen are looking for a novice and most first jobs are with clubs that they either have been playing for or working as a coach for which leads into becoming manager at a convenient time. Nobody likes taking a risk so most managers are going to have to start working at a lower league club and work their way up.

I don't believe that chairmen are making decisions based on the colour of an applicants skin but due to their qualifications and experiences. I'm struggling to think of the last manager who was appointed to a premiership club as their first managerial role

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Football these days is small group of white millionares making money out of talented black people. You'll never get many black managers.
Really?... not forgetting all the owners or part owners from the middle and far east of course.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Interesting how us white people seem to constantly claim that Britain isn't racist anymore.

I googled it and these were the results

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

And an interesting article from a black man.

http://www.ukzambians.co.uk/home/2012/04/03/london-calling-racism-is-as-british-as-fish-and-chips/

LONDON CALLING – RACISM IS AS BRITISH AS FISH AND CHIPS
by Austin Kaluba - on Apr 3rd 2012 - 23 Comments
digg

BY AUSTIN KALUBA
kaluba pic LONDON CALLING RACISM IS AS BRITISH AS FISH AND CHIPS

Kaluba

According to a major survey on race relations carried out in Britain in 2002, more than half of Britons believed they live in a racist society.

The opinion poll commissioned by BBC News Online also found that 44% of those asked believe immigration has damaged Britain over the last 50 years.

Immigration has become a ready scapegoat for racists to argue that Britain should be kept white. Other racists argue that immigrants should be grateful pointing out that Britain is more racially tolerant than other European countries.

It is interesting to note that even before 1948 when an influx of blacks and Asians came to Britain, racism was still rife on the island with people of colour being discriminated against on the basis of their skin colour.
Whatever arguments racists put forward, racism is as British as fish and chips. The scourge will always manifest its pink face from time to time.
The recent incident were a young black man was told ‘ you will always be a ******’ is a reminder to any immigrant and people of colour that racism will always be part of the United Kingdom.
The racist statement came from a Police officer of all the people who is supposed to fight such ills. Fortunately the incident of a young man being taunted was recorded on the mobile phone.

See video here…

The recordings of PC Alex Macfarlane taunting the young black man about his skin colour while in the back of a police van is a cruel reminder the price one has to pay in a white dominated society that Britain is.
Macfarlane who has since been suspended – is also heard stating: “The problem with you is you will always be a n**ger” as well as boasting that he had strangled the man during his arrest.

What is worse is that racists are not only coming from unsavoury characters like yobs, unruly white football fans or drunks in British pubs but from all walks of respectable British life like journalists, clergymen, politicians and other decent backgrounds.
Though the culprit has been suspended, Britain has a million Macfarlanes who don’t love ‘darkies’, ‘Pakis’ and all immigrants living in Queen’s land. These ilk have perfected the art of smiling at you even if you are ‘different’ from them. They say ‘thank you’ and ‘please’ to show that you are one of them.
These breed is even worse than our good and honest man Macfarlane who could not contain the pent up racist grudge against blacks to mouth the much hated ‘N’ word that has landed him in trouble.
The cruel truth is that Briton’s are the worst racists since their brand of racism is subtle like an undetected cancer that eats at you silently but surely.
To live in the United Kingdom or the United States, you have to master the art of escapism called ‘playing it cool’ just to be tolerated by the Caucasian race who think of themselves as the Aryan tribe of this world.
When I lived in the UK, I realized that most people of colour develop this strange condition similar to Stockholm Syndrome, a condition were the victim of abuse develops a strange love for their tormentor realising the power they wield over them.
Many learn the art of flattery even when deep down their hearts they want to tell off a white person or even wish him dead.
The behavioral attitude was practiced as early as the slavery days when black men in the United States developed special defense mechanisms which employed emotional detachment in order to survive their cruel white masters.
A cool attitude cushioned slaves and former slaves to cope with exploitation or simply made it possible for them to survive. During slavery, and long afterwards, overt aggression by blacks was punishable by death.
Little has changed now. Many people of colour know the consequences of killing or even beating a white man. Despite this, they are aware about the lukewarm response from authorities regarding the death of people of colour.
Playing cool helps to disguise or suppress the injustices that people of colour undergo in white dominated societies. It’s a classic case of resistance to authority through escapism to a more tolerable situation.
Playing it cool remains part of people of colour living in white dominated societies. This goes beyond their existence on this white dominated planet. African Americans in America rarely had grave yards near that of whites fearing Mr Charlie (nickname for whites) would continue harassing them in the afterlife! It is that bad.
Despite the number of laws passed against racism, the scourge exists in a subterranean form and many whites know this./End..
I'm sorry but that is largely bollocks. Quite offensive bollocks as well for people like me as the author makes no secret of the fact that he thinks all Briton's (sic) are racist. Consequently I have no problems rejecting that as just the prejudiced bile of a single individual and not an accurate critique of 21st century Britain. That is NOT the same as saying of course that racial problems don't exist in Britain as they clearly do - and it's not a one-way street either.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
IMHO all that is totally different to the football issue. Once a footballers' career is finished they have already jumped over a social divide, and probably had a better chance to educate themselves than most people of any race or background.

I think it's a bit of a piss take to people in the rest of society who are genuinely struggling for equality, to compare them to a few wealthy footballers who can't be bothered to go and get their FA/UEFA licenses

The cause of black players hoping to become managers has not been helped by people such as Paul Ince who used to bunk off the football management course at Warwick University to play golf but still expected his reputation as a player to get him jobs. Which, of course, it did. And he was hopeless at Blackburn, which was wrongly seen as a setback for black coaches whereas it was really one person who wasn't ready for the job.

The problem is that some types of action taken to increase the number of black managers here will be seen as tokenism. The Rooney Rule in the NFL produces good candidates for head coaching jobs because the USA is further down the road of producing good black assistant coaches and college coaches. But simply including a black person on a shortlist here when there may not be a suitable candidate is just an insult, as Chris Powell said last year.

Black guys must go out there and push themselves forward, says Powell - News Comment - Football - The Independent

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'm sorry but that is largely bollocks. Quite offensive bollocks as well for people like me as the author makes no secret of the fact that he thinks all Briton's (sic) are racist. Consequently I have no problems rejecting that as just the prejudiced bile of a single individual and not an accurate critique of 21st century Britain. That is NOT the same as saying of course that racial problems don't exist in Britain as they clearly do - and it's not a one-way street either.

You have no problems rejecting it, don't you? Well i will bow to your superior experience in such matters.

All i was trying to say was that those claiming that racism wasn't a problem anymore are not seeing it from the perspective of someone who experiences prejudice and are really in no fit state to judge.

Is this guy in a batter position to judge than us here on this thread? I don't know, but i am going to chance an opinion that he has had more exposure to racism than us.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
All i was trying to say was that those claiming that racism wasn't a problem anymore are not seeing it from the perspective of someone who experiences prejudice and are really in no fit state to judge.
A bit like someone from say , sussex , extolling the virtues of living in an area of high immigration to somebody who actually lives there ?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You have no problems rejecting it, don't you? Well i will bow to your superior experience in such matters.

Is this guy in a batter position to judge than us here on this thread? I don't know, but i am going to chance an opinion that he has had more exposure to racism than us.
Fair enough, I think you're ignorant, blinkered and misguided and all to willing to seize on any opinion piece (which is all that was) and I'm sure you think the same about me. And this is not really relevant, but I'm a veteran of ANL marches, Rock Against Racism and a supporter of AFA. I only mention that to say I was 'there' back in the late 1970s and early 1980s (as much as any lower middle-class white boy could be), which is why I can say with certainty that Britain has made HUGE strides since those days. It is frustrating that people, such as that correspondent, can simply dismiss those strides as almost unimportant, or even denied that they've happened! The inference is that the problem of white racism is almost as bad as it was in the 1970s. It isn't.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Look at Paul Ince , he had all the chances in the world but could not make it , understand he wanted the Wolves job but didn't get it because of his record and the chairman chose someone more appropiate for the job.

It's like the fire brigade and police , they have to employ a certain amount of blacks , women etc , not always the best candidate overall but have to show they are not descriminating , load of tosh if you ask me !!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's like the fire brigade and police , they have to employ a certain amount of blacks , women etc , not always the best candidate overall but have to show they are not descriminating , load of tosh if you ask me !!

What evidence do you have that it's not always the best candidate?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
It's almost impossible for any manager to get their first job at a top division club, very few chairmen are looking for a novice and most first jobs are with clubs that they either have been playing for or working as a coach for which leads into becoming manager at a convenient time. Nobody likes taking a risk so most managers are going to have to start working at a lower league club and work their way up.

I don't believe that chairmen are making decisions based on the colour of an applicants skin but due to their qualifications and experiences. I'm struggling to think of the last manager who was appointed to a premiership club as their first managerial role
ruud gullit at racist chelsea ?

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The last manager to be appointed by an EPL club is in his first role, isn't he? Steve Clarke.

Steve Clarke, was appointed to a bottom half premiership team following 13 years of coaching experience at Newcastle, Chelsea, West Ham & Liverpool. My original point being that nobody takes a risk on a manager they want to see that they have experience and the qualifications to make a difference to the club.

It's not about skin colour it's about making a the right appointment at the time, there will be a time when more black players go into coaching and work their way up to management but currently the top jobs go to those with the most experience weather that be behind the scenes at a big club or success with a smaller club in a lower league or abroad

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
What evidence do you have that it's not always the best candidate?

I know a fireman who sat on the local interview boards in London , top man and good strong fireman , he gave up the job because he couldn't rely on the people around him in dangerous situations . And it was generally known they had to give a certain amount of jobs to blacks and women.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009

Scottish Premiership...................John Barnes at Celtic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here