Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bitter Peterborough match report / How others see us (merged)

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
How others see us

This report from the Peterboro local press had me in stitches and made me wonder if others enjoy reading opponents' views and in particular their particular slant (not to say out and out bias) on things? Anyone found any similar pearls in our opponents' local press or fans' forums?

Championship match report: There was a fear when this season started that Posh without Craig Mackail-Smith would be like Nando’s without chicken.

Indeed it was slightly surreal seeing the great man in a different sort of blue and white. He looked half the player as well, but then Brighton spend so much time travelling backwards and wasting time one suspects boredom will soon set in for the most hyper-active creation since Looney Tunes first aired Road Runner.

Mackail-Smith fluffed his one scoring chance when heading wide 20 minutes from time, but he will take great consolation from the ovation he received from all sides of the ground when he trooped off in the final moments.

And the fact that Brighton are top of the Championship of course after a contest full of pretty football, but devoid of real excitement.

Match details: championship match at the American Express Community Stadium, Brighton, 27th August 2011

BRIGHTON 2

POSH 0

Goals: Brighton – Noone (10 mins),

Harley (64 mins).

Cautions: Posh – Frecklington (diving)

Brighton – Calderon (assault).

REFEREE: Gavin Ward 6.

Attendance: 19,656 (1,408 Posh).

=====================

The home side never looked in danger of surrendering a lead gifted to them inside 10 minutes and confirmed the points with a stunning 30-yard free kick midway through the second half from Ryan Harley.

Poyet, who still looks trim enough to do himself justice on the pitch, spoke afterwards of his great pride at a remarkable start to the season. One suspects though that disappointments are on the way as a Posh side tipped by most to fall straight back down to League One were just a finisher (probably the one playing for the opposition) away from getting something from the odd-looking Amex Stadium.

Posh delivered some controlled passing and some impressive movement in midfield areas. The full-backs were willing supporters, but as soon as any Posh player reached the Brighton penalty area danger was snuffed out by excellent organisation and sheer numbers.

As a result home keeper Casper Ankergren (whose blatant abuse of time was ignored by another hopelessly weak set of officials) dealt mainly with tame shots from distance apart from at the start and end of the second half.

Lee Frecklington, who played in a more advanced midfield role when Georg Boyd limped off in the fist half, was defeated by an acute angle and Inigo Calderon’s goal-line clearance in the 46th minute. Eight minutes from time Lee Tomlin’s lovely pass sent Tommy Rowe scampering clear, but he sent the ball the wrong side of the post with his weaker right foot.

And that was pretty much that in terms of Posh opportunities despite another promising hour from Paul Taylor and 30 minutes of excellence from Boyd. A couple of Grant McCann free-kicks were pushed aside by Ankergren.

Brighton do already have the Championship habit (Ipswich aside) of excellent defensive concentration as well as their expert organisation.

And Posh will do well to get somewhere close to that level as soon as possible. In general the back four played well and they could do little about Harley’s goal once referee Gavin Ward had awarded one of numerous soft-looking free-kicks in favour of the home side, but Craig Noone’s opener was another defensive disappointment.

Posh keeper Paul Jones is a poor kicker of the ball compared to his rival on the substitutes’ bench and his hurried clearance of Craig Alcock’s backpass was collected by Noone who advanced 15 yards without the threat of a challenge before finding the bottom corner of the net following a touch off Gaby Zakuani’s heel.

Zakuani was a surprise inclusion and a risky one as his dodgy ankle will be x-rayed again this week, but typically he shrugged off any discomfort to help impressive centre-back partner Ryan Bennett shackle Mackail-Smith and Ashley Barnes.

Bennett did head against his own post after one scramble, but otherwise was unruffled and dominant.

There is plenty to work on. Jones’ kicking, McCann’s irritating habit of mixing fine passes with losing possession in horrible areas, a way to get an athletic, powerful figure like Ryan Tunnicliffe into the side and a ‘perfect’ record of falling behind in every Championship fixture so far are decent starting points.

They might also try and get on better terms with officials. Ward and one assistant referee in particular were quick to punish the slightest of contacts in Brighton’s favour, but were happy to see Rowe and Ryan Tunnicliffe bundled over in the area.

In the space of two minutes late on Ward cautioned Lee Frecklington for alleged simulation and issued the same sanction to Calderon, a player with a well-earned reputation for milking every situation, for a nasty waist-high assault on Alcock.

They don't quite understand that the rules of football don't make the goalkeeper any different to any other player when it comes to possession of the ball in normal play do they? Time wasting at goalkicks maybe but when he plays as sweeper and playmaker he is as good at winding up their supporters as he is at creating us space. Our own blond Beckenbauer is confounding them all :)

........and an ASSAULT by Calde :) who has a "reputation" - just loving it!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I love it when I see these kind of reports. Teams failing to understand our football was a big factor in us winning the league last season. Long may the press report the fact that we are 'time-wasters' devoid of any footballing talent.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of Championship managers will be able to see beneith the naive media reports.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
As a football nation the press often tell us that we're light years behind our continental cousins, yet when a team try's to do something a little different they doesn't seem to appreciate it. Its managers like Gus, Martinez and Rodgers who will eventually see us overhaul the foreign teams if they are given the chance. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the journalists shouldn't knock what they blatantly don't understand. We as (Brighton) fans have learned to think about our football a little more deeply, perhaps the press boys should start to do the same, seeing as that's what they get paid for.

***rant ends***

Last edited:

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
As a football nation the press often tell us that we're light years behind our continental cousins, yet when a team try's to do something a little different they doesn't seem to appreciate it. Its managers like Gus, Martinez and Rodgers who will eventually see us overhaul the foreign teams if they are given the chance. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the journalists shouldn't knock what they blatantly don't understand. We as (Brighton) fans have learned to think about our football a little more deeply, perhaps the press boys should start to do the same, seeing as that's what they get paid for.

***rant ends***

I agree entirely, nothing angers me more when watching our national team play, they knock the ball around for a few passes and then lump it long, rather than keep the short passing going. Hence Capello's obsession with pace.

Gus' philosophy is "if we have the ball they can't score", that is how England should be playing, especially if we wish to be successful in the summer tournaments when the heat plays a factor.

I hope Martinez gets one of the 'big' jobs in the Premier League and keeps trying to play football.

Gus can carry on doing it with us. I just hope that those who haven't see alot of Albion in the last couple of years are patient if results stop going our way.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
my grandsons have been following Birmingham in the Premiership and my son is a lifelong Villa fan but all have been blown away by the way Brighton play football and totally understand what we are trying to do. I think a lot of fans who see regular premiership football can understand more readily but fans brought up on kick and rush just can't see it. What surprises (and delights) me is the failure of press "experts" and sundry other pundits to put it together.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I LOVE it when opposition fans - and reporters - accuse Brighton of being boring and 'wasting time'.

It shows their ignorance, and it shows that whatever Gus is doing, he is doing it right. One day they'll learn - but not yet, it seems.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I LOVE it when opposition fans - and reporters - accuse Brighton of being boring and 'wasting time'.

It shows their ignorance, and it shows that whatever Gus is doing, he is doing it right. One day they'll learn - but not yet, it seems.

Who cares, we're top of the league.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008

I agree, it shows a total and utter lack of understanding of our tactics and the way we play. It is great when you read stories like this, he seriously beleives from what I read that he thinks Posh are a better team than us, yet goals count for me in the last 3 games over 12 months is 8 For 1 against I think.

Utterly tactically brainless it shows a complete misunderstanding of how we play and yet we didn't even really get out of 2nd gear in my opinion (and didn't really need to) yet it was a comfortable win.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
and not a hint of jealousy ... well done!

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Surely that report is bordering on unprofessional? You would have thought that his editor would have picked him up on this and said "what the f*** are you rambling on about?"

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
In fear of sounding like Kevin Keegan, I love it, I LOVE IT, when I see Ankergren stand over the ball waiting for an attacker to come near. When one does (usually after several minutes) Anks just picks it up and waits for their retreat before playing the short pass to the center back, who will invariably knock it to either Clade or Painter who in turns plays it back to, you guessed it, Casper! Genius. Teams can't get the ball off us and when they eventually try they pull themselves out of shape we expose them and more often than not create a goal scoring chance.

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean
A more biased reporting you would struggle to find than Radio Sussex's match commentary!

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
We are often slated by those we are directly competing with / leaving trailing in our wake. All other football fans generally wish us very well, knowing what the club has been through, and often say they'd like to see us in the premier league - considering us an antidote to the drab colourless northern outposts currently making up the numbers there... and they don't believe all this crap about our fans becoming arrogant!! Overexcited? YES! Arrogant? No, we are just enjoying the ride! All else is bitterness or if not that, then willful myopia.

Josky

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Brighton spend so much time travelling backwards and wasting time one suspects boredom will soon set in !

Ha! I like how Albion are ACCUSED of cheating tactic of dominating POSSESSION has been utilised to THWART the brilliantly free-flowing Brazilian-esque football of the mighty... er.. Peterborough. ???

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I always thought that 75% possession game of Barca never worked anyway. Now if they played the long ball like stoke it would be another thing altogether....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here