Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bitter Peterborough match report / How others see us (merged)

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Another point - finishers are people who put away chances. Whereas they were just shooting from outside the box.

Albion Rob

I thought it wasn't too far off until near the end when he says "Ward and one assistant referee in particular were quick to punish the slightest of contacts in Brighton’s favour, but were happy to see Rowe and Ryan Tunnicliffe bundled over in the area." So he thinks posh should have been given two penalties, and you agree? I only remember one of those incidents, and it was no penalty. And yes, it was CMS's worst game for us, but the reporter suggesting "Brighton spend so much time travelling backwards and wasting time one suspects boredom will soon set in" is just pathetic bitter nonsense.
Yes it was flattering, Posh looked good on the ball, but that's one area I agree with the report - "a Posh side tipped by most to fall straight back down to League One were just a finisher (probably the one playing for the opposition) away from getting something" - "as soon as any Posh player reached the Brighton penalty area danger was snuffed out by excellent organisation and sheer numbers".

Yes they were just a finisher short - but that's a rather significant shortcoming, and why strikers go for big bucks.

I think most of the time we were in this division over the past decade we had the same problem. Tried to play some good stuff at times but never quite had the cutting edge to put our chances away (especially through that awful time when Zamora was injured) and consequently we'd come away from games saying: "If only Marney/Webb/McPhee/Knight etc had a bit more about them we'd have got something out of that game." Now the boot's on the other foot and we are in the odd position of not playing particularly well but being able to grind out a result in the Championship. I didn't think CMS played that well although I also thought he made a lot of intelligent runs and just didn't get the ball because we were hanging on to it for too long and over elaborating. Not to worry - it's a nice change to watch a good team win while being a little bit off the boil rather than watching a struggling team play well but come away with nothing.

On the report itself - looks (and reads) more like it was written by a fan than a journalist. All our passing game seemed to annoy him - he's probably still trying to work out why England haven't won a major football tournament for almost half a century.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
So basically, Peterborough were disappointed to lose in a game where Brighton were far from their best but still did enough to win? I can understand that.

We weren't at our best but we won. I am happy. Peterborough fans are not. I can live with this.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Why can't away fans who get beat just understand we do what we need to to win? We looked bloody good before we scored then as usual eased off.

Obviously I'd love to see us keep playing the same way throughout but Gus is a winner and he's got the team set up to win, not just entertain.

Quite clearly if Nooney didn't score so early there's no way they would have had as much if the game as they did!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Wouldn't you just so much rather be playing at London Road than the Amex...?!

What is odd about it - the sloping roofs at the two ends? (but even this isn't unique, eg Pride Park). I'm glad it's got a bit of character and isn't just another anonymous bowl like St Mary's or wherever...

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
They can write what the hell they want as all the petty digs in the world won't get them back the 3 points we took off them

Who cares what other clubs think of our style or stadium we love it and are top of the league

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Football is full of them, we even have some of our own :thumbsup:

True , very true but pre this season (bar Peterborough) it didn't seem as bad , maybe it's due to us being back in the limelight again?

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Win ugly or win pretty? Doesn't bother me personally. Let's just take the 3 points and move on to the next whinging losers.

It seems that only Cardiff fans have accepted defeat with any grace so far this season and fair dues to them!

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
You need to understand that the Peterborough Evening Telegraph is probably read by hundreds. It really gives us a bad name which is why none of the locals buy it.
The other fact is that if you use any kind of negative posh language will mean you get no club comments for years. I know a lot of posh fans up here and the majority of them think we are are the up, ie: we do not play FLD1 or championship type football which they are used too. Its a little bit of jealousy mixed in with bad journalism and an inbred mentality.
How I wish for the sea air.........

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Did anyone other than the writer of that article spot us time wasting? Utterly ridiculous. Even Casper didn't do as much messing around as normal!

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
someone else must have nailed his wife before he wrote that! I do however agree that we are too defensive when we go a goal up

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here