Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bit controversial does it really matter if we go down?

jrmeag1

Sep 22, 2008
Still 2 years before we take over Falmer, one year in League 2 2009-2010, back up as Champions, one year in League one 2010-2011, promoted to Championship for 2011-2012. Yes crowds will be lower possibly for one year, big deal.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I think it does as a couple of games in League One will get crowds of 8,000ish. Say Leeds, Norwich, Charlton, Southampton?

We will not get that in Division Four for any game, we may struggle to get past 5,000 jusdging by our past 2 home games, where only the small away fan attendances has taken us past that mark.

It may give us more momentum if we keep the squad and win games and get promoted, but then we could stay in that division for 3 years and have 4,000 gates in a 22,000 seater stadium, which would be very grim indeed

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
It'll be fine if we can ensure that revenue doesn't fall; that we can keep our best players; that we can get a good manager if Slade doesn't work out; that we can come straight back up.

What do you reckon the odds are? Personally, I think relegation will be a disaster.

Last edited:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It is bad, but by the same token it's not the end of the world like people are making out.
The attendances won't drop like people are saying either, if we at the top of the league and playing well we will fill the ground no problem, if we are pushing for play-offs we will get about 6000. It will only drop to the 4000 mark if we are doing really shit.
If you look at our history, Brighton fans turn out to watch a winning team whatever division we're in, although they will also desert a losing one pretty quickly as well.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Still 2 years before we take over Falmer, one year in League 2 2009-2010, back up as Champions, one year in League one 2010-2011, promoted to Championship for 2011-2012. Yes crowds will be lower possibly for one year, big deal.

If your scenario works out, then great.

But this season we have played Barnet,Shrewsbury, and Luton (twice) and only beat Barnet over the 90 minutes.

I fear that it will be a struggle to get out of L2 if we find ourselves down there next season.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
It depends whether or not you want to see our better players bugger-off in the summer; our attendances drop to new lows; the club get into even more debt; see our fan-base diminish even further; go up to the likes of Macclesfield on a wet Tuesday night; struggle to get out of the basement divisions by the time Falmer finally throws open its doors...

Last edited:

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
Certainly does matter, the current state of the club, financially and otherwise suggest that if we go down it will not be a straightforward bounce back and bar the first half dozen games at Falmer, the crowds certainly won't be near the 12000 they need to break even, only in the championship have we any chance of those - so the championship within a year (at most) of starting at Falmer is a must or we could get stuck in the nice stadium - 'small' club syndrome e.g Huddersfield etc

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Relegation is always a bad thing.League two is still the fourth division.Our squad isn't as good as we'd like to think it is,and many of them would not be out of place in that division.But if we avoid relegation(and I'm hopeful of that)maybe many of our current bleeding blue and whiters will be elsewhere bleeding different stuff,and Albion can get back to building a squad of proper footballers who play the full ninety + stoppage time.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Going down is not the end of the world but you are then relying on two consecutive promotions to get into the Championship for Falmer which is a big ask. Personally think that if we can cling on to League one, with Slade in charge and having a full pre season behind him, we will do far better than last year. The club probably never recovered from the shock of Wilkins sacking including the manner in which it was done.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
one year in League 2 2009-2010, back up as Champions, one year in League one 2010-2011, promoted to Championship for 2011-2012.

I didn't realise it was that easy :dunce:
Lets face it plenty of us expectedpromotion to the championship this season and look what's happened. relegation is only ever a BAD thing.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
What makes you think we will get 2 back to back promotions which has only ever happened once in out 110 year history. Relegation IS a DISASTER.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
Wont be the end of the world at all. Last night on my walk home from work I found myself mumbling "were gonna win league 2, were gonna win league 2, we know you dont believe us, we know you dont believe us, we know you dont believe us..........were gonna win league 2."

The club will cut it's cloth accordingly and will know we have to bounce straight back, trim the fat keep the spine of a good team ie: Elphick, Livermore, forster to name 3 and let Slade bring in his own staff (I think this will happen either way) and away we go.

In a funny way IF it does happen I will kinda look forward to a nostalgic return to the basement, it will only get really depressing if we struggle and I doubt that will happen to be honest!

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
What about another relegation ? Surely a season in the conference will be much better for the club or even the Blue Sq South, plenty of local derbies there.
There are some absolute fuckwits about these days and anyone who suggests going down is good and we will bounce straight back up is one of them.
I know most people on here only jumped on the bandwagon a couple of seasons ago but some of us were here when we were relegated in 1996 and we didn't bounce back then did we ? We spent the next 2 seasons in the bottom 2 which would be enough to boot us out the league these days.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
What about another relegation ? Surely a season in the conference will be much better for the club or even the Blue Sq South, plenty of local derbies there.
There are some absolute fuckwits about these days and anyone who suggests going down is good and we will bounce straight back up is one of them.
I know most people on here only jumped on the bandwagon a couple of seasons ago but some of us were here when we were relegated in 1996 and we didn't bounce back then did we ? We spent the next 2 seasons in the bottom 2 which would be enough to boot us out the league these days.

When you engage your brain properly, you do post some sensible,intelligent things like this post.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

Agree entirely - you want your club to play at the highest level possible. Whilst it's not a disaster in the true sense of the word, it would be a very serious matter and a real blow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here