Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Birds in the garden.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I nearly posted something similar bout birds yesterday, I'm in no-way a twitcher, but yesterday morning there was a unbusual, brightly coloured bird sitting on top of my car. I was quite captivated by it, so much so it prompted me to look it up on Google. Found out it was a Goldfinch, certainly not something I'd seen before.

Goldfinches love sunflower seeds. If you put some out chances are you will get a whole flock of the fellas.

PG

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I've never taken much interest in them before but you do get some amazing birds over here - every day at the moment there are blue jays, which would be a useful counterargument to anyone suggesting that there are no naturally occurring blue foodstuffs, assuming you count eating the feathers, some bright orange orioles, and most impressive of all a big red cardinal. There are other ones not named after baseball teams (ahem), notably a load of little chickadees, and an unnamed grey one with a black head with a little spike on the back of it.

And talking of birds in New England: there is, as far as I can tell, only one animal which is actually smaller here than in the UK - everything else is vast, of course: the seagulls.

D

Deleted member 2719

People who feed birds do my head in.

Why not let your beaky friends find there own food rather than spoon feeding them. By feeding them it just encourages vermin such as rats and mice to come into your garden. They also seem to eat the food fly off and shit all over your windows,conservatory, car or anything in there flight path, how would they like it if i shat all over there nest.

Beaky boney stick like feather pest is how i see them.

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
Sitting here doing a bit of paperwork before I go out and have just watched a Sparrow, a Robin and a Common Tit all sitting together whilst taking it in turns to have a bash at the peanut cage I have hung up. I like watching birds a lot.

Got me thinking as to what I should be putting out for them this winter besides the nutty fatballs I usually put out.

Also when should one put a Tit box up ?

Mealworms are a favourite for blackbirds and song thrushes

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I had a woodpecker in my garden for a while, lovely colours it was, bright green, red and yellow and quite large. Did the old headbanging sometimes - it's a nice sound to hear of a summers evening. He did seem to like digging in the garden though, middle of the lawn ... strange. Not seen him for a while.

Love em,Black,red & white was he? noisey bugger,a pleasure,make that an honour even to have him/her visit.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Those Kites that soar so majesticly are a beautiful sight so much that I nearly crashed the car watching them gliding so effortlessly over the fields above Ashinghton the other day.
Mind you I was pissed as a rat as well.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Just looked out of my window and have about a dozen of these bad boys on the feeders

images

The finches tend to go for the Niger seed and sunflower hearts, while the great, blue and long tailed tits go for the peanuts and fatballs. I also get robins, blackbirds, blackcaps, Chaffinches, Greenfinches, Dunnocks, Sparrows, Woodpeckers (Great spotted and Green), Jackdaws, Jays, Linnets, Magpies, Thrush (Mistle and Song), Starlings, Wrens

I also have no life :down:

If Brighton ever play at Wycombe again you can see these (red kites) soaring high above the stadium. Best I've seen at the Amex so far is a kestrel hovering by the A27.

When Brighton play reading on boxing day it is entirely possible to see a display of 10 or more kites at the council depot just across the road from the mad stad. That's where the council take all the roadkill and the kites have learned it a good source of food.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
When I was growing up just off the seafront in Hove in the 70s, we had a big picture window out back that caused all manner of grief to the bird population. There was a huge crash one afternoon, & I went out into the garden to find a woodcock, of all things, had managed to collide with it. Have never heard of anyone else seeing a woodcock in Hove before or since, shame it came to such a sticky end.

peejay1958

Aug 22, 2011
Southwick
When Brighton play reading on boxing day it is entirely possible to see a display of 10 or more kites at the council depot just across the road from the mad stad. That's where the council take all the roadkill and the kites have learned it a good source of food.

I've been to the Mad Stad a few times but didn't notice them so perhaps this is something new? Being a council depot it will probably been closed on Boxing Day so may be the kites won't be there? :down:

I've been to the Mad Stad a few times but didn't notice them so perhaps this is something new? Being a council depot it will probably been closed on Boxing Day so may be the kites won't be there? :down:

Nah, sometimes they are there and sometimes they are not. All you can do is hope they show up but when they do it gets quite busy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here