Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Birds in the garden.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I don't have a bird table or feeders in my garden but have planted loads of sunflowers, and I really do mean loads, which I leave up during the winter so the birds can eat the seeds. Unfortunately a dead tree, that blackbirds like to nest in, blew over in the wind earlier this week so I will probably get less birds in the garden next summer. I would leave it there but it has cut the garden in two, cutting me off from the shed/greenhouse and veg plot.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Lucky down here in deepest darkest Hampshire as we get a massive variety of birds, at present loads of pheasants wondering around, sadly they will all be shot by the end of January.

We find just put anything out from nuts, seed and your dinner left overs and they will peck on it all day.

Remember and Bird is For Life Not Just From Xmas.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
Never saw a goldfinch until i brought Niger seed now they come regularly.
Last month to my surprise i spotted a sparrowhawk flying towards our bungerlow close to our hedge a few days later sitting in the garden i watched a blackbird sitting close by,suddenly it was plucked right off the branch by the sparrowhawk,its still around in Westdene,anybody else seen it?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Not surprised-the hawk that comes round ours has had 3 pigeons this week.Recent spots in our garden are robins,wrens,juvenile blackbirds,& today the first pied wagtails of the winter

Matrix10

Jun 7, 2011
Bexhill
I live in the town centre of Bexhill, near the sea front and the other evening I stood out on our balcony at the back and could see the silhouette of a bird, the size of a blackbird in a tree some distance away, but singing a very high pitched song which was being answered from afar. I thought this behaviour was only in the spring time, and certainly it was not a bird call I have heard before.
The next day I called home for lunch, and returned to my van via our back entrance and at the point I had heard the bird the previous evening I spotted a Yellow Wagtail, so I assume this bird was the musician from the previous night. I thought this bird was more a country dweller than a town dweller?

On a more unpleasant note, in Egerton Park in Bexhill there have been a pair of swans who have lived there for many years raising and protecting their brood every year. Just recently one has gone missing and the other has been demented, wandering around the park looking everywhere for it’s partner, even to the extent of flying around the vicinity in it’s search. I am lead to believe that a local alchy was in the park one night and stabbed the poor creature to death, yet there has been no report at all in the local paper. This maybe to protect this person from local justice, but I know a few people are keen to know.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
We have a wonderful variety of birdlife in Preston Rock Garden. Anything from your usual robbins, dunnocks, blackbirds and song thrushes to large colonies of long tail tits, chaffinches, goldcrests and wrens. Add to that the occasional grey wagtail around the pond, blackcaps and tree creepers, redwings in febuary and even the occasional nightingale has been heard and it can be a superb place to sit for half an hour just watching the birds.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I think they reintroduced a handful of Red Kites somewhere between here and Oxford a few years ago, as whenever we make that drive up we see loads of them every few hundred feet.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Driving home at 2am this morning, a huge owl flew across the road in front of me. They really are spectacular birds, especially when lit up by headlights in the otherwise pitch black background.

There's a footpath that runs round the outside of the Burgess Hill ring road where I sometimes go running, quite often see some kind of bird of prey hovering above the adjacent fields or swooping around. What are these likely to be?

kip

Aug 2, 2011
My misses was feeding 2 turtle doves that were living in a tree in the back garden, they had been there for years. Sadly one day we game home and there were loads of feathers in the garden and we havn't seen them since. Maybe a cat or something got one of them, strange they both disappeared though. The misses is gutted.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Last month to my surprise i spotted a sparrowhawk flying towards our bungerlow close to our hedge a few days later sitting in the garden i watched a blackbird sitting close by,suddenly it was plucked right off the branch by the sparrowhawk,its still around in Westdene,anybody else seen it?

I'll keep a look out for the sparrowhawk as i am just up the road from Withdean Stadium. I have noticed a couple of buzzards lately over the dyke and toad hole valley, where you only used to see kestrels.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
sparrowhawks are everywhere if you look for them (and you live in the blessed countryside) - and they rock

we had one laying out on the hedge presumably to dry its wings then the bugger caught and dismembered the male robin and the female(robin) stayed all winter(last winter which was bad 16 below at one time here)she came right up and into the conservatory even with the cats sleeping in there and helped herself to their leftovers,she followed me everywhere until she found a new mate(and just like most females she left me) to have her babes and then came and proudly showed them off to me.
the pair are still around and protecting their territory.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Driving home at 2am this morning, a huge owl flew across the road in front of me. They really are spectacular birds, especially when lit up by headlights in the otherwise pitch black background.

I saw an owl swooping (it is not just seagulls that do that) right in front of us when walking in the New Forest. What was amazing was that everywhere went quiet (I thought it was quiet before - but it seemed every living creature just froze). Spectacular.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom

There's a footpath that runs round the outside of the Burgess Hill ring road where I sometimes go running, quite often see some kind of bird of prey hovering above the adjacent fields or swooping around. What are these likely to be?

Kestrel

Sent from - not telling as it upsets some people!

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here