Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Birds, Balls and Brighton

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Amateurish and lazily made prog.

No access to Gus, Taricco, Perry, TB .... suggests that they quite rightly didn't want to be associated with this garbage.

But I don't care for the personal attacks on nsc on the fan/s shown ... it takes all sorts to make up the Albion fan base. Not just articulate middle class fans.

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
<deep breath> Both me and my wife were asked if we wanted to be in this show - we had an interview (which went well) and it looked likely, though they weren't sure if they were going to follow a die-hard set of fans or not. Nothing ever came of it. On the basis of the comments above, you'd think 'bullet dodged'.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The last time I was this deeply disappointed was after I had waited over an hour for a cold burger in a gastro pub. Bobbins.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
I laughed out loud at the part where the ALBION chant was being sung around the stadium, then continued with a wider shot of the Amex, then another a bit further away. I really hoped it would then keep panning to an aerial view, then a shot from outer space with ALBION still ringing out.

"....Because winning means everything to the fans, who act as the twelfth man, being able to influence what happens on the pitch. Cold statistics show that games are more often won by the home team, who are playing in front of their own fans.... Blah blah..."

It really was a f***ing calamitous documentary, but it's almost been worth watching just for some of the comments on this thread. You two have particularly made me laugh :lolol:

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I laughed out loud at the part where the ALBION chant was being sung around the stadium, then continued with a wider shot of the Amex, then another a bit further away. I really hoped it would then keep panning to an aerial view, then a shot from outer space with ALBION still ringing out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oF18rk_H0Y

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I had low expectations and it failed to live up to them....terrible, shambolic indictment on the proliferation of meeja studies.

One coffee splurting (no not the woman on the subsequent programme) moment was when they said "alcohol plays a big part in some fans pre-game ritual..." and cut to my mother, sister, brother-in-law and nephew all downing pints in the North Stand bar (after the Pompey game I believe).

Every cloud etc. though - this is the funniest thread I've read in a long time.

PG

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
If the woman and her coffee exploits farts does she get a cappuccino?

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
i think this is all a bit unfair on Grant, he is a proper life long fan, and an absolute top bloke.

i don't see why everyone has been so negative towards him? It is not his fault that the program makers and the editing people made such a bad job of it all.

oh and yes i do stand next to him in the North Stand.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Maybe they should change the name of the series to "Last Cut". If the people that made that ever get the chance to put together another documentary, it will be astonishing.

All that cutting around, using shots of fans and players from different games and pretending it was the Watford match is dodgy ground these days too. Places like the BBC have been very hot on that ever since the trouble over the Queen promo.

It's a shame really because there was such a good strong story to be told last season with Albion moving into the new ground. I think there would have been other people interested in telling that story properly who were put off by the news that Channel 4 had already got permission to be there.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
The thing is the documentary had the stories there, but there were just too many to coherently fit into a 30-minute film – and then to shoe-horn the overly dramatic last-chance for play-off glory Watford game nonsense and it all became something of a steaming turd (not helped by some of the worst editing ever committed to film).

They should have focused on one, maybe two, of the following stories with the back story of Brighton's recent history/struggle for the Amex:

1. Adam – one-club man, local boy done good, reality of life as a Championship player.
2. The tat fan – a bit eccentric, but clearly passionate, articulate and very watchable.
3. The old lady – 80-odd years of supporting the club, seen it all. Could have been very amusing.
4. Charlie – player to coach.
5. Kit man – bit dull, but again seen us through thick and thin.

Either of these stories would have been ideal for a half-hour vignette. I understand that the documentary was originally intended as a six-parter, which would obviously allow for more scope, but as soon as it became one 30-minute film the whole focus should have changed and become much smaller in scale. A missed opportunity.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I know someone who was involved in this.

If you mean the making of it, then you should never see them again

I wonder if they'll publish my comments, something along the lines of...

If this programme "showcases distinctive new films by up-and-coming directors", then I fear for the British film and TV industry.
I, like many other Albion fans, had looked forward to this immensely. All we get is a great big steaming pile of dross.
I won't even bother highlighting what was wrong with the programme, as I only have 3647 characters left

Mister Mix

Sep 3, 2012
If you mean the making of it, then you should never see them again

I wonder if they'll publish my comments, something along the lines of...

If this programme "showcases distinctive new films by up-and-coming directors", then I fear for the British film and TV industry.
I, like many other Albion fans, had looked forward to this immensely. All we get is a great big steaming pile of dross.
I won't even bother highlighting what was wrong with the programme, as I only have 3647 characters left

Of course I'll still see them again, people make mistakes, this was probably the first thing they done

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
If anyone is interested, the viewing figures from BARB show the programme averaged at 89,000 viewers. Peaking at 249,000 viewers near the start and dropping to 61,000 by the end.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Don't have anything bad to say about anyone in the film, Adam El-Abd came across as a really decent humble guy, the fans were fine, and Charlie his usual self, but have to agree with the comments about the producers of it, they've had a mare.

So many basic mistakes, lack of ideas and just poorly made. Tried to be artistic with a few shots i.e. the long shot of the Amex and the crowd shouting "Al-bion, Al-bion", but it just looked awkward and I thought for a second it was a mistake and the film had got stuck or something. Terrible.

Brighton1

Jun 10, 2004
Newhaven
And why oh why do they have to find the biggest tool of Brighton's fan base to be the star of the show. What a cock!
The bird next to him in the stand flogs the Hatrick tickets in WSL though.
I think that's a bit unfair, why do you think the guy was a "tool"? isn't he just a normal passionate fan? I'm sure we have fans from all walks of life & should accept people for who they are especially fellow supporters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here