Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bioshock 2

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Hmmm, not really. The VATS thing is just a gimmick, although bloody useful.

I remember your predicament exactly but it's definitely worth persevering. You're struggling to fend off a few raiders now but once you've got going with it, levelled up a bit and picked out some super hard weapons you'll be dicing up Raiders in your sleep. In fact any human character is only a couple of hits away from being melted flesh. It's when you start squaring up to Deathclaws that you realise what a piece of piss the humanoids were.

I mean it isn't for everybody. You might just not get into it but I have to say I have never enjoyed a first person shooter so much and the epic scale of it is often mind blowing.

It can seem very daunting though, especially at the start, as the scale of it is utterly immense and around every corner are vicious bad folks who wants to tear you to shit. And of course you never seem to have any ammo which just makes it even more irritating because as soon as you find something that actually does inflict decent levels of damage on your foe you realise you don't have the bullets to keep it going. HOWEVER you soon realise that powering through all the struggle was definitely worth it and before long you're picking off bad guys ten a penny and have mountains of ammo in your backpack so as never to fear the wasteland monsters again.

I can only advise perseverance because I felt exactly the same when I first gave it a go and yet now it is the game that has consumed more of my time than even Football/Championship Manager.

I'm genuinely jealous of your position. If you allow yourself to really immerse in it you're in for an EPIC adventure

You really found the game that rivetting? For me it was shallow, and the combat was absolute gash compared to Oblivion which this game just feels like a cheap spin off of, the graphics are shit too.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Dead Space shit me RIGHT up, its a bit of a wrong-un. Specially when you squish a dead babies head.

I never found it particularly scary though, I just saw everything really before it happened, something might jump out at me and i would just think 'well that wa obviously going to happen' to be honest bioshock actually did a better job in that regard, i loved the very start of bioshock where you enter the tower, all the lights come on and that bloke is looking down at you with that banner saying 'there is no god' or something like that.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
You really found the game that rivetting? For me it was shallow, and the combat was absolute gash compared to Oblivion which this game just feels like a cheap spin off of, the graphics are shit too.

Seriously??

I admit the combat isn't as good as with a more traditional shooter and the graphics don't really show off the console's abilities but the epic scale of it all and the frankly enormous open world environment to explore really captivated me. I also loved all the little touches like the radio station, the 50s advertising, decor and cars, the green computer terminals, the design of the Pip boy etc.

I've never played Oblivion but it doesn't really appeal to me. I prefer guns and sci fi to swords and fantasy, although I understand it's a fairly similar game otherwise.

But more than anything else I think what really sets Fallout 3 apart is the hours of your life you can devote to it without getting bored. Aside from Final Fantasy 7 and perhaps Vice City I can't think of any console game that has eaten into so much of my life. Far too many games these days are like Modern Warfare where you've finished them within a few hours of buying them

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005

I think it was a great follow on from Oblivion, which was just as epic but was a lot more repetitive than Fallout 3. Both top games though and have wasted many weeks of my life. I wasn't a fan of the VATS shooting thing however.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Seriously??

I admit the combat isn't as good as with a more traditional shooter and the graphics don't really show off the console's abilities but the epic scale of it all and the frankly enormous open world environment to explore really captivated me. I also loved all the little touches like the radio station, the 50s advertising, decor and cars, the green computer terminals, the design of the Pip boy etc.

I've never played Oblivion but it doesn't really appeal to me. I prefer guns and sci fi to swords and fantasy, although I understand it's a fairly similar game otherwise.

But more than anything else I think what really sets Fallout 3 apart is the hours of your life you can devote to it without getting bored. Aside from Final Fantasy 7 and perhaps Vice City I can't think of any console game that has eaten into so much of my life. Far too many games these days are like Modern Warfare where you've finished them within a few hours of buying them

The combat is SHITHOUSE (run in, press vats, aim for the head with above 90% accuracy and enjoy the kills) it was too easy, the world all looked the same. I was bored after about 5 hours when i quickly realised that actually it didnt go anywhere from here. Oblivion had a much better combat system, a varied and colourful world, and much much more. Not a patch on a bioware RPG, sure they might be aiming for different things but frankly the game is poor.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I think it was a great follow on from Oblivion, which was just as epic but was a lot more repetitive than Fallout 3. Both top games though and have wasted many weeks of my life. I wasn't a fan of the VATS shooting thing however.

I don't get how you could possibly like the VATs thing, it was dreadfully repetitive, too easy and made the normal fps combat look like shit, not to mention just about all of the stuff you had to kill just ran at you meaning that there was no need for cover or anything like that.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
That's because it was a post apocalyptic NIGHTMARE

They could have made an effort, they didn't. The city for example, it was just lots of closed off squares rather than big and open, they could have had swamps, some relief, snow (it would still snow after the apocolypse surely? also think they could have done some good with a forest of dead trees. But instead its all just urban wasteland, very boring.

Last edited:

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
They could have made an effort, they didn't. The city for example, it was just lots of closed off squares rather than big and open, they could have had swamps, some relief, snow (it would still snow after the apocolypse surely? also think they could have done some good with a forest of dead trees. But instead its all just urban wasteland, very boring.

There are swamps and forests though?

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
I agree the landscape can often seem very bleak and repetitive but for me that just added to the atmosphere. It was very easy to get lost in it all but it was also very rewarding when you found somewhere a little different. The Tranquillity Lane simulation and the Oasis tree settlement were lovely touches I thought.

Re: VATS, I know that towards the end it might seem to make things a little too easy but I think you forget just how difficult it was at the start of the game, before you've accumulated a decent amount of XP, some nice weapons and enough ammo. Then the VATS combat is a lifesaver because you wouldn't have a hope otherwise. And as for using cover, with a high sneak rating you were able to be more effective at long range or even up close and where cover was available you could successfully use it to your advantage.

Sure it's not to everyone's taste BUT you can't argue with the glowing reviews and awards it has won.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Final Fantasy 7 controlled my life for a while. Best storyline in a game ever ever ever. Better and more emotionally involving than a lot of film plots. The music helps with that though.

Bioshock was for me more scary than any other "scary" games listed there because the atmosphere is so thick and dense and palpable that it throws you much more into the game. So immersive, and so good. Will buy Bioshock 2 once I've finally completed number 1, haven't given it the time it deserves yet. Too much Pro Evo.

Fallout 3 I had for a bit then sold at a time I was totally skint. I might buy it again and give it another try.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
Exactly my point Mellotron. The atmosphere created in Bioshock is what gives it such a sinister and eerie quality which I far prefer to the more traditional zombies leaping out at you type of scary game.

And FF7 is very much a life controller. I downloaded it last year for my PS3 to revisit the old gem and have only just recently completed it. I am concerned that when 13 comes out next month I will not see daylight for some time

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I still haven't started Uncharted 2, Assassins Creed I or II, want to play a bit more of GTA IV, Heavy Rain and the Final Fantasy. There just isn't enough time in the day to have a social life and play computer games anymore!

Edit: And I haven't got anywhere near finishing Dragon Age: Origins either. Although I'm not enjoying that too much, other than the lesbian action of course

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I agree the landscape can often seem very bleak and repetitive but for me that just added to the atmosphere. It was very easy to get lost in it all but it was also very rewarding when you found somewhere a little different. The Tranquillity Lane simulation and the Oasis tree settlement were lovely touches I thought.

Re: VATS, I know that towards the end it might seem to make things a little too easy but I think you forget just how difficult it was at the start of the game, before you've accumulated a decent amount of XP, some nice weapons and enough ammo. Then the VATS combat is a lifesaver because you wouldn't have a hope otherwise. And as for using cover, with a high sneak rating you were able to be more effective at long range or even up close and where cover was available you could successfully use it to your advantage.

Sure it's not to everyone's taste BUT you can't argue with the glowing reviews and awards it has won.

As you say in your other thread, GTA4 got loads of critic acclaim and that was DIRE, this is simply the same.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As you say in your other thread, GTA4 got loads of critic acclaim and that was DIRE, this is simply the same.

It wasn't dire. It was just NOWHERE NEAR as good as the critics make out.

It's still well fun if you play online GTA Race, just a mental demolition derby where you all pile up then swap cars and shoot each other and park buses in the way etc.

Mental.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
Each to their own but I would never call it dire. For me it is a true masterpiece.

GTA4 for all its flaws is still a very in depth and well thought out game with plenty of action to keep you entertained if you enjoy it. It might not be the game I wish it was but you can't fault the designers for their efforts especially when so many games released today are far far too short.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here