Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Binning Hi Tech mobile phones

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Has anyone else done this recently?

Found I hardly used any of the facilities on my Iphone bar making and receiving calls and the occasional text, got sick of a battery life that struggled to make two days.

So yesterday I bought a £20 Nokia 100 to see if I could live with a basic mobile.

So far so good, really light phone that seems to do all I require from a phone. I can hope to get up to 8 days standby apparently too :thumbsup:

Anyone else given up on the ever cleverer mobiles??

This could be an old person thing I accept.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I think there are quite a few people who, given the choice between losing a leg or losing thier smartphone, would have to ask for five minutes to consider it.

I initially put "losing an arm" but of course that would slow down their typing speed.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I have thought about this. I have had an iphone and now a Samsung galaxy and to be honest they both piss me off. They often seem to turn on and do things on their own, often I look at my phone and it is on the net or logged on to summat I never asked for. My iphone used to freeze all the time, often you could not even swipe to answer the call. The current S2 has a 'tap and speak' option that turns itself on and off whenever it pleases and I am at the point of launching it out the window and into a skip. It is almost as if they are trying to get phones to do too much at the moment without actually thining through the basics.

I actually would not be that bothered to have an old school Nokia at all.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I've just done the opposite and got myself an iphone having just had a few months with a Nokia 100. My only gripe with the cheap phone is the speaker volume but apart from that it's a perfectly serviceable phone which I could have kept using for a while, I just had the opportunity to get an iphone for cheap with my new contract and went for it. I can see myself using the Nokia 100 on the regs though as the battery life is the shiznit, excellent when you're going away for a weekend and don't want to lug a charger about and that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I would give up the phone and texting functions of my iPhone before giving up other stuff.

Given that, I don't think your approach would work very well for me.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I consider this.

And then I realise how useful my iphone is. It has all my music, games to keep me amused, forums to mull over, pictures, books and maps for when I get lost. Just couldn't live without it now, sad but true.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I would give up the phone and texting functions of my iPhone before giving up other stuff.

Given that, I don't think your approach would work very well for me.

I have an Ipad for all that stuff, and the screen size is better suited to my old eyes too :shrug:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
So do I.

I don't take the iPad everywhere with me in my pocket however.

Have to confess that I sort of knew that you'd probably be the least likely person on this forum to revert to a Nokia :rolleyes:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I have a Samsung Galaxy and agree with the points made about poor battery life and regular blackouts meaning the phone rings but you can't take the call. Since I got my iPad my phone can go f*** itself.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Couldn't do without my HTC. Lots of texting, but its hardly ever used as a phone. Twitter, online scrabble, football scores, Google Maps, banking, YouTube, podcasts, FM radio for the football commentry, etc etc. Its INSANELY slick, useful and entertaining.

Utterly indispensible.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
They often seem to turn on and do things on their own, often I look at my phone and it is on the net or logged on to summat I never asked for.

You know you can lock the phone and make it need a PIN to re-open, don't you? Saves all the random stuff happening.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
If you don't need a smartphone, don't get one. It's quite simple. For every person that tells me I don't need all the fancy features on my mobile I tell them they're right, I don't need EVERY ONE of the thousands of features it is capable of, BUT I do make use of a whole lot of them. Functionality I'd never get with a dumbphone. My smartphone has replaced my iPod as my portable media player, downloads all my podcasts for me, keeps my calendar and schedule organised, downloads my newspaper for me, acts as my satnav in the car, helps me find places on foot AND keeps me entertained with its many games. I don't NEED all these functions BUT I do make use of them to the point where I'd miss them sorely were I to go without my trusty handset.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
Perhaps you could arrange a charity "give up your smartphone for a month thing", a bit like Movember. Phonovember anyone?!?!

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I've had a samsung galaxy s3 for over a week, but i'm still using my "normal" mobile as I havent loaded all the numbers/got to grips with the galaxy yet , i'm useless !

I have got a cheap and cheerful T - Mobile unity - looks like a Blackberry but isn't and was around a quarter of the price. Main selling point for me was the QWERTY keypad, although it has the capability for internet access I really can't be arsed to faff around and try to set it up. Functions that I use on it are in order of usefullness are Text/Phone/reminder alarm/radio and (rarely) MP3.;

As someone said once the problem with a lot of fancy gadgets is that they put them on the market before they have finished inventing them!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Couldn't do without my HTC. Lots of texting, but its hardly ever used as a phone. Twitter, online scrabble, football scores, Google Maps, banking, YouTube, podcasts, FM radio for the football commentry, etc etc. Its INSANELY slick, useful and entertaining.

Utterly indispensible.

really..I bet you are not on O2? My HTC is shitehouse and one huge issue is the internal memory. I have maps on it for work and i cant update the bloody things as I have 3 GIG available on the SD card, but you cant transfer the app to there...when it shouts at me to update my apps, I say yes and it crashed the fecking thing.

I am going back to my iphone, although the iphone 3 will not accept the new BBC Radio player as the software is at a too low level.

I am just going to use my HTC for calls and texts

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
really..I bet you are not on O2? My HTC is shitehouse and one huge issue is the internal memory. I have maps on it for work and i cant update the bloody things as I have 3 GIG available on the SD card, but you cant transfer the app to there...when it shouts at me to update my apps, I say yes and it crashed the fecking thing.

I am going back to my iphone, although the iphone 3 will not accept the new BBC Radio player as the software is at a too low level.

I am just going to use my HTC for calls and texts

Nope, I'm on Orange, but I don't think the network provider would make any difference to the problems you're having.

I've got 9.93GB total space, of which 8.39GB is available. I don't store music or films on it which probably helps. I've got quite a few pics but they don't seem to take up much space, and I've got about a hundred apps, a sprinkling of podcasts and a 17 hour audio book. Not had any memory issues at all (yet), but there's plenty I could clear out if I ever get the need to.

I adore my One S. Runs like a dream.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here