Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Billy Sharp - tweaked his ankle a little bit. (but with God's grace, might live)

Diar

Apr 12, 2011
Sorry Donny fans, but Rovers DID set out their stall early, and got stuck in to break OUR concentration.
So - no sympathy for your complaints here - you dished it out but couldn't take it back. And no - your dishing was NOT "more acceptable than ours" so don't even! :wrong:

I hate to resort to "well you started it", but you damn-well did - and you got the 3 early yellow cards to prove it!

If you played football fairly in the first place, you would have probably got beat earlier - but the bottom line is that you still did not prosper, we have the 3 points

We all have our views and you're entitled to them. Your views about the relative effectiveness of trying to kick Albion and trying to outplay them are noted, but I think that they show an ignorance of our ability in this respect. You won the game and its your time to gloat, fair enough. I know how well we play football, and how rarely we resort to cynicism, so your inference that cheats dont prosper is particularly galling.
Game one over. Unique situation in a unique atmosphere. Lets just see how the season pans out eh?

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Oh Christ! Can I put this any differently? Dont think so.
Are you thinking that what I am saying I think will happen, is an incitement for people to do it? Is that where you're possibly coming from?
Look, I condemn anything like that... I'm not a child, I'm not pathetic (unless you ask the wife) and I'm not stupid... I'm a decent, loyal football fan who is simply making an observation that players who cripple another teams players dont tend to be treated well by supporters of that team when they next meet. Are you really saying you disagree?

So Sharp is 'crippled' now - is that the official diagnosis? Or just the over-dramatic view of Dr. Reasonable?

thoreveraviking

Jul 29, 2011
Republic of Yorkshire
Agree totally. The tv guy went ott for the foul on barnes but hardly raised his voice with the dunk challenge. On second viewing the dunk one looked worse though.

And if the ref is into apologising he might wish to look at the booking of lua lua again as the tv showed him innocent of diving

You've called all 3 correctly and the game is over. Time to move on but a very realistic post ROSM, incidentally there are no reports in any papers or on the TV about continuous foul play by either team, it was just frisky (given the occasion and your frustration in the 1st. half) and clumsy by many a player throughout (playing on such a wet surface I'm not surprised) Many players were struggling to keep their footing and in my mind not one of the players on that pitch set out to deliberately to injure others.
Best of luck for the rest of the season.

Diar

Apr 12, 2011
In all honesty, I don't remember hearing any boos at Monkhouse, the Hartlepool player who injured LuaLua, when we were at home last year and I think it is unlikely Dunk will get much abuse at the away game at Doncaster later in the year. If there is abuse, then to be honest it is pathetic and I stand by that. Irrelevant of how Sharp is, it really was not that bad a tackle.

Out of interest, do you think your players targetted LuaLua. To me it seemed a definite tactic which surprised me as I didn't think your manager or team were like that.

1. Hope youre right.
2. I agree, it would be pathetic
3. Dont know if they targetted LL
4. Never seen a SOD team go out to target anybody in the whole time hes been here
5. Making out that we are some sort of moronic, talentless psychopaths is way out of order.

thoreveraviking

Jul 29, 2011
Republic of Yorkshire
Sorry Donny fans, but Rovers DID set out their stall early, and got stuck in to break OUR concentration.
So - no sympathy for your complaints here - you dished it out but couldn't take it back. And no - your dishing was NOT "more acceptable than ours" so don't even! :wrong:

I hate to resort to "well you started it", but you damn-well did - and you got the 3 early yellow cards to prove it!

If you played football fairly in the first place, you would have probably got beat earlier - but the bottom line is that you still did not prosper, we have the 3 points

What a ridiculous post we pissed all over you in the first half , through slick passing and movement if anything your team had to resort to fouling (many unpunished) just to try and get some possession.
You won it fair and square but labelling us as cheats is galling in the extreme, there were many 50/50 balls out there early on and we won them fairly despite your protests.
Our team have never been cynical and tbf our supporters get very frustrated at the way our players never if rarely harangue the referee when they are fouled as others do. IncidentallyI'm not surprised that you didn't pick up the 3/4 yellows that on another day a decent ref might have dished out to you. ???

DIRK STEELE

Banned
Mar 4, 2011
London now.
5. Making out that we are some sort of moronic, talentless psychopaths is way out of order.

Making out that one of our players is a psycho who has deliberately 'crippled' one of your players is also out of order. You started this. The fact that Sharp is not even getting an x-ray until monday probably reflects the seriousness of the injury.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
1. Hope youre right.
2. I agree, it would be pathetic
3. Dont know if they targetted LL
4. Never seen a SOD team go out to target anybody in the whole time hes been here

I don't think I have made that out. You were the better team in the first half but we were in the second half. A draw would have probably been a fair result all round. It did look like they seemed to resort to fouling LuaLua every time from my perspective but that did surprise me as I didn't think O'Driscoll or your team are like that.

I am sure we can agree that hopefully you get good news about Sharp and Hayter and they are back playing very soon. Also, I think on the whole Donny fans are great and I really hope the great relationship between the clubs continues. However, I stand by anyone abusing Dunk on Twitter being pathetic.

Diar

Apr 12, 2011
Bloody hell, firstly, I hope Billy Sharpe makes a full recovery.

Injuries happen in football and of course there is sometimes a bias for your own club, but Doncaster were kicking LuaLua off the park in the first half, Barnes is a very lucky chap to have got out the way and now there are tears because we were more physical in the second half!!!! Get a grip, its football!!!!

Would be really surprised if anyone on either side went out to intentionally injure someone. I do feel sorry for Mr Sharp and also Doncaster, however not all 9 players that they have out injured were done in yesterdays match.

Best wishes to the 2 injured players though.

Forget all the stuff you've read elsewhere. I have already agreed that this is football and things happen. My posts have all been aimed at the friends I've made on here, explaining how I feel about losing our 2 best forwards in the first game of the season.
No accusations, no comments about who was worse, just one fan posting to other fans how devastated I feel about the situation we're now faced with. If you dont want to hear that, then I've misunderstood my relationship with posters on here, and I apologise for interrupting your though processes.
True, not all the injuries we have were caused in one match, but I really thought we could cope given a fair rub of the green from now on. Thats why yesterday was so devastating... it could be the straw that broke the camels back.
Had some good conversations on here over the weeks and I thought we had enough mutual interest for my views to be relevant. To be called, stupid, moronic, pathetic and unable to get a grip, makes me think I was wrong.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
What a ridiculous post we pissed all over you in the first half , through slick passing and movement if anything your team had to resort to fouling (many unpunished) just to try and get some possession.
You won it fair and square but labelling us as cheats is galling in the extreme, there were many 50/50 balls out there early on and we won them fairly despite your protests.
Our team have never been cynical and tbf our supporters get very frustrated at the way our players never if rarely harangue the referee when they are fouled as others do. IncidentallyI'm not surprised that you didn't pick up the 3/4 yellows that on another day a decent ref might have dished out to you. ???

You seemed the most reasonable Donny fan on here until this. If you seriously think you had the worst of the refereeing in the first half then you were watching a different game. You were the better team in the first half but the treatment LuaLua got and the foul on Barnes were shocking.

We all have our views and you're entitled to them. Your views about the relative effectiveness of trying to kick Albion and trying to outplay them are noted, but I think that they show an ignorance of our ability in this respect. You won the game and its your time to gloat, fair enough. I know how well we play football, and how rarely we resort to cynicism, so your inference that cheats dont prosper is particularly galling.
Game one over. Unique situation in a unique atmosphere. Lets just see how the season pans out eh?

Inference about cheating - nope, cheating goes beyond what you, or we did yesterday!
Those exhibited were tactics, and yours were clear as a very clear thing, so I'm just discouraging you from complaining afterwards.
It's always about a season, but then on game one - your fans are hinting that we've affected yours, and deliberately!!

Remember the Spain v Holland WCFinal? The outcome was still a win for Spain, and I can't recall a daylight robbery by negative tactics for while, in the top competitions in our sport.

You mention your 'ability', but you played fairly hard and low in that first half. I'm just telling you lot that you can't complain!!
Yes your lot got off the blocks well, organised and had formation in the middle playing decent 'stock' football - but when we had possession it was 'industrial' tackling, many from behind, and you weren't getting the ball before the player! Lua Lua even got a yellow from one of those tackles.
So - you had the chance to play, but took away ours with some dangerous tackles.
We have to have protection from refs against this if we are going to play on the ground and pass the ball like 'Championship Arsenal'.

I don't WANT us to have to hire 'enforcer' types in case of this - we have a great pitch for good football that Gus prefers, we shouldn't have to hurdle flying studs in leg-breaking tackles. The answer to quality skillful football shouldn't be to lump our men into the treatment room every match.

Last edited:

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
i think the ref was bad all over a few decisions wrong either way and i think Doncaster were professional to be honest so much respect to them :) good game guys

Diar

Apr 12, 2011
So Sharp is 'crippled' now - is that the official diagnosis? Or just the over-dramatic view of Dr. Reasonable?

Cant help being reasonable... thats how I am. If Sharp isnt crippled then this whole thread will be almost irrelevant. The point of the thread, however, seems to be based upon the assumption that he has a very serious injury that will keep him out for a long time. Crippled seemed to be a good desciption of this state of affairs.
I agree...not the official diagnosis, but not intended to be over dramatic either. Dont get me wrong... I bloody well hope it is.
PS Does my being reasonable annoy you? Only asking.

Diar

Apr 12, 2011
Making out that one of our players is a psycho who has deliberately 'crippled' one of your players is also out of order. You started this. The fact that Sharp is not even getting an x-ray until monday probably reflects the seriousness of the injury.

Where did I say that he was a psycho, or that he did it deliberately?

Diar

Apr 12, 2011
I don't think I have made that out. You were the better team in the first half but we were in the second half. A draw would have probably been a fair result all round. It did look like they seemed to resort to fouling LuaLua every time from my perspective but that did surprise me as I didn't think O'Driscoll or your team are like that.

I am sure we can agree that hopefully you get good news about Sharp and Hayter and they are back playing very soon. Also, I think on the whole Donny fans are great and I really hope the great relationship between the clubs continues. However, I stand by anyone abusing Dunk on Twitter being pathetic.

At last... we understand each other.

What a ridiculous post we pissed all over you in the first half , through slick passing and movement if anything your team had to resort to fouling (many unpunished) just to try and get some possession. RUBBISH, MYOPIA - GO SEE AN OPTICIAN
You won it fair and square but labelling us as cheats is galling in the extreme, there were many 50/50 balls out there early on and we won them fairly despite your protests. CHEATS? WHERE HAD I 'LABELLED' YOU CHEATS??
Our team have never been cynical and tbf our supporters get very frustrated at the way our players never if rarely harangue the referee when they are fouled as others do. IncidentallyI'm not surprised that you didn't pick up the 3/4 yellows that on another day a decent ref might have dished out to you. ??? THIS SENTENCE DIDN'T MAKE SENSE ACTUALLY, BUT IF I READ THE INTENT OF YOUR POST YOU ARE SAYING WE SHOULD HAVE HAD THE YELLOWS...BUT DESPITE A REF BIASED AGAINST US YOU STILL GOT 3 IN THE FIRST HALF!! SUSS THAT OUT!

Obviously you need to chill before posting son, you are losing perspective

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
lewisdunk Lewis Dunk
My apology goes to [MENTION=15299]billy[/MENTION]sharp10 i hope the injury isn't as bad as rumoured when you find out on x ray monday and wish you a speedy recovery

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

I didnt think u wer a dirty team at all...fought for the ball ..to me it was a gd competitive game...sadly a couple of injuries...one of which was a bit of a freak one

Diar

Apr 12, 2011
Inference about cheating - nope, cheating goes beyond what you, or we did yesterday!
Those exhibited were tactics, and yours were clear as a very clear thing, so I'm just discouraging you from complaining afterwards.
It's always about a season, but then on game one - your fans are hinting that we've affected yours, and deliberately!!

Remember the Spain v Holland WCFinal? The outcome was still a win for Spain, and I can't recall a daylight robbery by negative tactics for while, in the top competitions in our sport.

You mention your 'ability', but you played fairly hard and low in that first half. I'm just telling you lot that you can't complain!!

Stop calling me "you lot"!! I cant speak for others. If I recall, you asked me if I'd seen Rovers go out with the tactics to kick the opposition, or words to that effect. I said I'd never known it.
Now you say that our tactics were clearly that. Not so clear that I cant disagree with you. If we resorted to kicking it may be because you were a totally different class to us (its a point of view) but I wonder why SOD would order his team to do such a thing, for the first time ever, just for you. Cant remember Man City, Villa, Arsenal, Wolves, Bolton, Spurs, or Man U ever calling us cynical, or saying that we had to resort to taking out their best players, so why should we suddenly be given that instruction against Brighton?
Not saying you're wrong, but it just doesnt make sense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here