Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Billy Sharp - tweaked his ankle a little bit. (but with God's grace, might live)

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
As I said before, Naylor should have gone too. But we f***ing WON, SEAGULLS

Billy Stubbs' Tears

Aug 6, 2011
Go and look at the Naylor challenge again. Look at it dispassionately. He's aimed his tackle at the ball. Barnes has touched the ball away. Naylor has seen this and begun to pull his foot away and down. Naylor's momentum has taken him into Barnes but he has clearly NOT gone in to hit the man boot-to-leg. Naylor's boot has missed Barnes's leg by 12 inches.

It was mis-timed and looked awful at first view, but that sort of tackle does not put players out of the game.

And I have a long track record of berating our players for nasty challenges. I'm the first to flag them up. Naylor's challenge was badly mis timed but nothing worse than that. If he'd meant to maim Barnes, he could have done so easily by keeping his foot up and making contact with it. But he didn't.

Unlike Dunk, who could only have made contact with Sharp's leg by his approach to the tackle. A different orde rof magnitude entirely.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
This is boring now though. Let's talk about the Tottenham riots?

I have a photo of Dunk's challenge (sadly I cant yet post a link on this board due to your 25 posts rule) which clearly shows the challenge being made. Dunk is behind Sharp and is at least 2 feet away from the ball as he lunges in at Billy's standing foot.

Edit: Just had an idea - making it my avatar.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Having seen it on FLS I thought Dunk was a bit lucky, BUT the ref was two yards away and had a better view than all of us. It was a bad challenge, but the lad is not malevolent.

I hope for Donny's sake (and the lad himself) that Sharp makes a quick recovery.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
fwiw and as a neutral, the challenge on sharp defo wasn't a red. was expecting some horror tackle after reading stuff on it. just a hefty challenge that was a bit late. the challenge by the donny player first half was a lot worse.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.................Please..................can everybody keep very, very quiet this morning. 'jcdenton08' is obviously ...and finally, thank God....asleep. I really couldn't stand another day of his 'postings'.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Just watched it for the first the on sky plus, anyone that's played football would know dunk is trying to hook his leg around to drag the ball away. Its clear to see, but the direction Sharp moves means sadly Dunk made contact. No way is that a red card, Naylors was more so for the fact his foot was studs up off the ground, even if he tried to pull out.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Rose-tinted glasses perhaps , apparently Hayter our other striker has got a broken leg too by all accounts. Dunk should have gone , many of the tackles that were made (by both sides) looked worse because the grass was soaking thus the total lose of footing.
Strange the decision to add even more water to an already soaked surface.
There were a lot of bad tackles in the game that the players had no way of controlling. Wtf we are going to do from here on in is anyone's guess. :(
How the hell CMS was MOM is beyond me for those awful misses.

Perhaps, but I do feel the two in the first half were worse. They came flying in, studs up and could have caused serious damage(particularly the tackle on Barnes). Dunk's looked clumsy and mistimed. Certainly it was a poor tackle that had little chance of getting the ball but 99 times out of a 100 there's no injury. Sharp was just very unlucky. I doubt anyone would be talking of red if he had not been injured.

Having said that if the ref had been any good and had some semblance of control on proceedings I don't think the tackle would have been made.

I'm not sure how Hayter has come away with a broken leg and yet no damage was done to Calderon's head. Terrible luck for you guys to have both your strikers out injured like that on the first game.

DanielT

A tackle from behind, with both feet being buried in the player's ankle

You stirred this thread up for pages and pages with your "knowledge," making out like no one except you knew "the truth" - now we've all seen it and you're wrong. Now you want it us to shhh and move on

This is boring now though. Let's talk about the Tottenham riots?
Why, did you watch multiple replays of this in your head as well?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Neither were red cards IMO. With Dunk's one Sharpe ran across him a bit and that's why the collision was bad. Didn't think the one on Barnes was red either - was quite a way away from him when it started. FLS didn't even mention Dunk should have gone so that says it all. Move on.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Just watched it for the first the on sky plus, anyone that's played football would know dunk is trying to hook his leg around to drag the ball away. Its clear to see, but the direction Sharp moves means sadly Dunk made contact. No way is that a red card, Naylors was more so for the fact his foot was studs up off the ground, even if he tried to pull out.

f*** me you are so spot on it's unreal. Didn't see your post before I said the above but yes the fact Sharpe ran across Dunk made the injury - it's unfortunate and yes a yellow card. No mallice from Dunky though, who had a brilliant game!

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
f*** me you are so spot on it's unreal. Didn't see your post before I said the above but yes the fact Sharpe ran across Dunk made the injury - it's unfortunate and yes a yellow card. No mallice from Dunky though, who had a brilliant game!

That's why I'm now a referee ;) But as you say, just very unfortunate, no intent.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Just watched the tackle on TV and not only did it not look malicious but it was right in front of the ref as well and he could'nt have had a clearer view, One of the few decisions the ref did get right.

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
What you didn't see on the BBC footage was the angle that we saw on the Fox TV internet stream.

The live feed from the stadium comes out of a single edit suite. The different angles would only have been available in post-production. So I'm afraid this is not true. The BBC highlights showed you more angles as a result.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Dunks challenge is dumb and clumsy. he's trying to hook around to take the ball, but he's lunged in and both feet of the ground so when Sharp half turns, all his wieght is on a leg as all of Dunks goes in to him. but another dozen similar challenges would have been a free kick and not commented on.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I did notice there was a lot of handshakes and back slapping after the game between all players....if there was any bad feeling it certainly wasnt shown aftr the game....i believe both sets of players played within the spirit of the game

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
i think it was pretty bad and if it had been on a brighton player the moaning and crying on here would have been evident, however i would agree naylors was also very poor

hope Sharp makes a quick recovery

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here