Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Billy Sharp - tweaked his ankle a little bit. (but with God's grace, might live)

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
What does that matter? He's a notoriously mellifluous man. And he hadn't seen the video when he said that.

Dunk's challenge DID look innocuous first time round. Just like Naylor's looked horrific. When you study the video, two different stories emerge.

I've given my two-pennorth on what happened in both cases. Do you see them differently?

You still use VIDEO?????

Obviously I see them differently, I was watching the game at the stadium with my eyes open whilst actually looking at the game. You seem to think it's ok to kick lumps out of Lua Lua for 45 mins and have a go at barnes, yet feel the need to crucify ONE poor challenge by ONE of our players, bearing in mind your second injury was due to YOUR player trying to kick Calderon in the head - which he should have had a yellow for at least for dangerous play.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
We don't go in for that shite, it was a bad tackle not so much malicious as clumsy, yellow bordering on red but I would have gone for a yellow. Our manager is an honest man and of course we boo'ed Dunk simply because wittingly or unwittingly it cut the heart out of our team ; after all he is our talisman.
After he was tretchered off we knew their heads would drop and the stretchering off of Hayter only compounded it. :facepalm:

cant disagree with this...albion fans wud probably hav done same...hayter one complete accident

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Massive difference between the two challenges.

1) Naylor challenge. The ball is free, between two approaching players. Naylor has gone in for the ball, committed himself, realised he wasn't going to get it and begun to pull his foot downwards and out of the way. He's shown no intent whatsoever to hit Barnes's leg and has missed making foot-on-body contact by a good foot. But he's got the challenge timing badly wrong, and clattered into Barnes with his body. It's a clear yellow

2) Dunk's challenge: Dunk has come in from behind/left of Sharp. The ball was on Sharp's right. He has the whole of Sharp's body to get through to reach the ball. He MIGHT have had a chance to get the ball by making a scything slide-tackle with his left foot. Instead, he's taken off two yards behind Sharp, gone in with his RIGHT foot which was never on a trajectory to get the ball. When he's hammered into Sharp's left leg, his right foot is the thick end of a yard away from the ball. He either has no idea how to make a tackle, or he's deliberately aimed his challenge at Sharp's left leg. You lot seem to think he's Premiership material, so he couldn't possibly have mis-judged his tackle so badly could he?

and of course premiership players nvr make bad tackles do they...pfffft

Billy Stubbs' Tears

Aug 6, 2011
There's a very simple point. NEITHER of the two challenges that you lot have been frothing about were aimed at the leg of the opponents. Both were overly-aggressive and badly timed. But both were fundamentally aimed at the ball, if badly executed. You cannot possibly argue that Dunk was aiming for the ball. And as a result, he's put a key player out of the game for a significant period. You expect me to shrug my shoulders and say "That's football"? It was clear red and has cost us three points today and probably 10 over the next 3 months. I'm f***ing livid.

As for Hayter's injury, His foot was less than a yard off the turf. Fair play to Calderon for chucking his head in there - it was a brave challenge and I'd applaud it. Hayter's resulting injury is a freak that happens. By good fortune, Calderon wasn't badly hurt.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My arse, you have no idea how long Sharp will be out for. If he'd really broken his leg in three places, he wouldn't be waiting until Monday for an x-ray.

Probably play next Saturday so why don't you wait and see. I think you're very wrong and basing your judgement on the suspected outcome and not the tackle itself. Means nothing.

Billy Stubbs' Tears

Aug 6, 2011
My arse, you have no idea how long Sharp will be out for. If he'd really broken his leg in three places, he wouldn't be waiting until Monday for an x-ray.

Probably play next Saturday so why don't you wait and see. I think you're very wrong and basing your judgement on the suspected outcome and not the tackle itself. Means nothing.

I take it you don'ty bother reading previous messages before posting? Have a look at the critique on the previous page, then tell me exactly what you disagree with.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
There's a very simple point. NEITHER of the two challenges that you lot have been frothing about were aimed at the leg of the opponents. Both were overly-aggressive and badly timed. But both were fundamentally aimed at the ball, if badly executed. You cannot possibly argue that Dunk was aiming for the ball. And as a result, he's put a key player out of the game for a significant period. You expect me to shrug my shoulders and say "That's football"? It was clear red and has cost us three points today and probably 10 over the next 3 months. I'm f***ing livid.

As for Hayter's injury, His foot was less than a yard off the turf. Fair play to Calderon for chucking his head in there - it was a brave challenge and I'd applaud it. Hayter's resulting injury is a freak that happens. By good fortune, Calderon wasn't badly hurt.

Complete nonsense, having watched the FLS and seen the challenge by Naylor on Barnes, you can not possibly tell me the Dunk tackle is worse. It's not. It's controlled, it is one footed and not dangerous at all. Completely unlike Naylor. The tackle on LuaLua was a bit of a non-event I thought, not exactly the worst he's going to have to contend with. Much like Dunk's tackle on Sharp, you make it sound like common assault, it specifically wasn't. It wasn't a brilliant challenge, but we're talking about our young cente half who got a bit overeager to get the ball, which was the intention whether you agree or not. The injury was mainly caused, it seems, by Dunk's standing leg catching that of Sharp, which is unlucky. 9 times out of 10, Dunk makes that tackle and might not get the ball, but doesn't hurt the opponent either. You've been unlucky this time, but bad luck with injuries seems to follow you around. I'm sorry you've left the Amex with 2 injuries, but that is football for you, these things happen. I hope it hasn't changed your opinion of our football club, one game shouldn't overide history. All the best for the rest of the season, I hope both Sharp and Hayter make full and rapid recoveries.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
Bloody hell - One challenge and we get crucified - many challenges and they are not that bad because the outcome did not result in injury - get a grip please. Yes it was a foul, yes it was a yellow, no it wasn't a red, yes I'm sorry Sharp got injured. I think we were on top throughout the second half and didn't cost you three points as we were going to get at least a draw anyway. <--that's my opinion

To crucify a young, relatively inexperienced centreback in his first Championship game for a mistimed tackle on a very, very slippery pitch (evidently) is a tad over the top. Naylor's tackle was a straight red no doubt

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Complete nonsense, having watched the FLS and seen the challenge by Naylor on Barnes, you can not possibly tell me the Dunk tackle is worse. It's not. It's controlled, it is one footed and not dangerous at all. Completely unlike Naylor. The tackle on LuaLua was a bit of a non-event I thought, not exactly the worst he's going to have to contend with. Much like Dunk's tackle on Sharp, you make it sound like common assault, it specifically wasn't. It wasn't a brilliant challenge, but we're talking about our young cente half who got a bit overeager to get the ball, which was the intention whether you agree or not. The injury was mainly caused, it seems, by Dunk's standing leg catching that of Sharp, which is unlucky. 9 times out of 10, Dunk makes that tackle and might not get the ball, but doesn't hurt the opponent either. You've been unlucky this time, but bad luck with injuries seems to follow you around. I'm sorry you've left the Amex with 2 injuries, but that is football for you, these things happen. I hope it hasn't changed your opinion of our football club, one game shouldn't overide history. All the best for the rest of the season, I hope both Sharp and Hayter make full and rapid recoveries.

sensible post

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
You can't just tag every post you happen to agree with with a "this" or "sensible post", it makes you look like you have no earnest way of expressing your own opinion.

But he still comes across as more intelligent and informed than you do with your angry ramblings.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
But he still comes across as more intelligent and informed than you do with your angry ramblings.

I'm not angry. I am delighted. We won. I don't ever get upset or even slightly bothered about football - it's only a game and just one of my hobbies.

You are confusing me being angry with me having an opinion and being unwilling to change that opinion just because some (struggling) people disagree with it.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm not angry. I am delighted. We won. I don't ever get upset or even slightly bothered about football - it's only a game and just one of my hobbies.

You are confusing me being angry with me having an opinion and being unwilling to change that opinion just because some (struggling) people disagree with it.

Maybe I am making that mistake, but it's hard to tell from words on a screen. I don't think anyone would go so far as tell you to change your opinion, but it is very questionable. I didn't have an overly strong opinion about it until I'd seen the replay, but now that I have, I feel very strongly that Lewis Dunk has been very unlucky to cause what looks like a serious injury. His standing leg has contacted with Sharp's standing leg and that's caused the injury, it was mistimed but certainly not malicious. You're more than entitled to disagree of course, but I don't really see the reasoning.

Billy Stubbs' Tears

Aug 6, 2011

Go look at the footage in detail and tell me. 9 times out of 10 - f*** it - 99 time out of 100 how on earth Dunk could possibly win the ball the way he's gone in for the tackle.

What you didn't see on the BBC footage was the angle that we saw on the Fox TV internet stream. From the front, it was patently clear that Dunk's flying righ boot slammed into Sharp's leg. It was nothing whatsoever to do with Dunk's standing leg (not that he had a standing leg anyway like). What caused the injury was Dunk's right boot that never went within a yard of the ball or was ever aimed ANYWHERE other than at Sharp's left. Reckless in the extreme. Looking at it coldly, it's a straight choice between utter incompetence and pre-meditated maliciousness. Either way is is a clear red card.

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Clearly not a clear red card given the massively split opinions eh?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Go look at the footage in detail and tell me. 9 times out of 10 - f*** it - 99 time out of 100 how on earth Dunk could possibly win the ball the way he's gone in for the tackle.

What you didn't see on the BBC footage was the angle that we saw on the Fox TV internet stream. From the front, it was patently clear that Dunk's flying righ boot slammed into Sharp's leg. It was nothing whatsoever to do with Dunk's standing leg (not that he had a standing leg anyway like). That's the right boot that never went within a yard of the ball. Reckless in the extreme and a clear red card.

In the words of the magnificent Ian Holloway, you're wrong. "Dunk's flying right boot slammed in Sharp's leg". Come on, could you be more dramatic and stop sitting on the fence? You're talking as if the tackle is up there with Martin Taylor and Ryan Shawcross, when it's not. It's no worse than Richard Naylor's tackle, or is it not a fair comparison because Barnes got out of the way? I feel no malice towards Doncaster, or Billy Sharp (though he does make a habit of scoring against us!), I just don't feel it's fair to condemn Lewis Dunk for a mistimed tackle. Anyone who has played the game understands the difference between a reckless tackle (Naylor) and a mistimed one (Dunk).

Billy Stubbs' Tears

Aug 6, 2011
In the words of the magnificent Ian Holloway, you're wrong. "Dunk's flying right boot slammed in Sharp's leg". Come on, could you be more dramatic and stop sitting on the fence? You're talking as if the tackle is up there with Martin Taylor and Ryan Shawcross, when it's not. It's no worse than Richard Naylor's tackle, or is it not a fair comparison because Barnes got out of the way? I feel no malice towards Doncaster, or Billy Sharp (though he does make a habit of scoring against us!), I just don't feel it's fair to condemn Lewis Dunk for a mistimed tackle. Anyone who has played the game understands the difference between a reckless tackle (Naylor) and a mistimed one (Dunk).

Anyone who has played the game recognises the difference between a tackle that is aimed at the ball and misses the other bloke's leg by a foot and one that is never aimed at the ball and hits the leg full on. One might look bad in the heat of the moment but does nothing more than ruffle the hair. The other puts lads in hospital. Guess which one was which today.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Anyone who has played the game recognises the difference between a tackle that misses the other bloke's leg by a foot and one that hits the target full on. One might look bad in the heat of the moment but does nothing more than ruffle the hair. The other puts lads in hospital. Guess which one was which today.

So would we have heard from you if it had worked out the other way around, which is easily possible. Naylor's tackle could easily have broken Barnes' leg. Or his spine, considering how high it was. And Sharp could have got up and run away from the Dunk tackle. Such fine margins in football, maybe you need to accept that you've been unlucky here. It could have been different, we on this forum could be talking about missing Barnes for however long he'd have been out for, but instead we're talking (for longer than is proportionate to the tackle) about Dunk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here