Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Billy Paynter: the poll

What's your view on Billy Paynter joining the Albion on loan (assuming he does)?

• Total voters

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Well, whadayafink?

billy%20paynter_633610580349843750.jpg

Have to say i'm distinctly underwhelmed - a journeyman forward who's had 1 good season in Lge 1, but's lets wait and see

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Is he the next Glenn Murray ?

billy_bremner

Mar 16, 2008
Lads, you have signed a League 1 player who needs a lot of things going his way to prove himself at this level. I am sure Gus can provide him with all that and boost his confidence in the process. Unfortunately at Leeds, such players never work out as you need a certain character to hit it off with the Leeds fans and do well regularly at Elland Road. Bechio for example, had no reason to fear and was always willing to work hard, he is now a cult hero. Having seen a forward like that, Paynter pales in comparison as he is not consistent with his work rate, productivity etc. Even during CMS' worst night, he'd work his socks off right? That won't be the case with Paynter. I won't call him a lazy sod like Viduka or Yakubu but he certainly does not put himself enough and in the right positions for a player with limited ability.

He will still win his fair share of headers, lay offs etc but his link up play is nowhere near Bechio standard (the kind I think will be perfect for Poyet's system). Lacks close control and guile for this level. Not a very smart player but can be a good foil to a buzzing striker like CMS. Maybe if Poyet can guide him to using his strengths well instead of just being used for the big lumps up front, then you'd have a decent target man in your hands.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
In Gus We Trust on this one...

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Haven't read all of this as I can't be bothered with people writing off a player who most of the will only have seen play a couple of times at most. As for what the Leeds fans think, well, he's obviously become a whipping boy up there so who knows what will happen with a fresh start.

As for his scoring record, it's virtually irrelevant if he can provide us with a bit more presence up front. We have loads of players capable of scoring goals, we just need someone who's more able to set them up rather than wanting to run on to the ball and play off the shoulder of the last defender.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
If I wanted someone to polish my turd, Poyet would beat Grayson every single time

Saying that , he is not turd at all

Not hugely excited, but happy to wait and see. Will prove useful if he can hold the ball up and play others in. I suppose the question mark is not around his ability per se, just whether he can cut it in this league or not.

He's an albion player so will get my full support.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here