Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Billy Paynter, the man we have been missing up front?

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
....and as for those fans slagging Gus's team selection....idiots. By the way, shouldn't you be changing your username? How about to 'Gus ain't god anymore' - well clearly a god would see and know it all, so he wouldn't make the mistake of a signing a player who's rubbish, now would he?

Im really not getting into this. Just as i doubt one selection does not mean i will right Gus off.

I really can't be bothered to argue any more. So keep on

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Really good point today. When Paynter came on, it really gave us a spark. He looked lively and I think the biggest factor is that he was there. A big body, up front, in the thick of the action, and thus gave us far more options. Skill wise he won't set the world alight, but he was definitely what we (and Macca) needed, and it looks like he's the kind of player we'll need to grind out results.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Im firmly on the fence on the Paynter subject. Whilst not setting the world alight at Leeds, it would seem he is the one Poyet has been after for some time. Seemed to make a difference when he came on today and Cms is crying out for someone to play off up front. Just like horses for courses, players fit in better at some clubs than others. Weather that be style of play, realations with the coaching staff whatever. We seemed to have sorted out the defencive problems, with the addition of Harper and Reyes. Now we just need to start scoring goals and creating chances but with the prospect of Vicente and Buckley missing more games than they will play and for all Noone's workrate and menace the end ball is still missing somewhat. We really need Lualua to step up to the plate and he could be the spark that sets us alight up front.

Marcus

Jan 2, 2011
Hastings
Good point today against a team currently competing in Europe and doing well also.

Billy Payner worked wonders at Swindon, after he left their next season was the complete opposite. Here's hoping he can do the same sort of turn around with us.

Whatever happens at the end of the season, I'll be happy if we at least stay up considering the way things are lately. Southampton are just on a good run which will end and will be interesting to see where they end up at the end of the season. Also, if they do go up they'll only go straight back down.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
On today's limited evidence he puts himself about physically and could well provide the support CMS needs in order to thrive. Not worried if he scores or not as long as he creates space and drops the ball into places where others can knock it in. Not so sure about his apparent desire to referee the match as well as playing in it. I don't like it when Wayne Rooney does it and I'm not going to be any happier at an Albion player but maybe I was misreading it today or he was just overly fired up. Overall I came away thinking Gus might well have been right to continue to pursue him.

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
Im firmly on the fence on the Paynter subject. Whilst not setting the world alight at Leeds, it would seem he is the one Poyet has been after for some time. Seemed to make a difference when he came on today and Cms is crying out for someone to play off up front. Just like horses for courses, players fit in better at some clubs than others. Weather that be style of play, realations with the coaching staff whatever. We seemed to have sorted out the defencive problems, with the addition of Harper and Reyes. Now we just need to start scoring goals and creating chances but with the prospect of Vicente and Buckley missing more games than they will play and for all Noone's workrate and menace the end ball is still missing somewhat. We really need Lualua to step up to the plate and he could be the spark that sets us alight up front.

Liking this post. Some sensible points made, which there seems to be a lack of on NSC recently.

bobzam

Brighton 'til I die
Aug 13, 2008
Bristol
It's all about getting the best out of CMS, creating space and opportunities, giving defenders more things to worry about. Barnes doesn't get anywhere near close enough or put himself about in the right positions. CMS has worked bloody hard in each game but it's all been fairly pointless stuff. When paynter came on we looked our most dangerous and and billy almost set CMS up but he dragged it just wide. These 2 have to start on tues for me ad Barnes needs a rest to watch from the sidelines like calde had to. Bit of pace in the team wouldn't go amiss either. Any chance of seeing KLL in an Albion shirt again????

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
i thought he played really well and could become a great partner for CMS, in fact i think Paynter put a GLOSS on the whole performance today!!!

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
the game was more positive when Paynter replaced MATT sparrow, and showed off some of his SILK(Y) skills

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
AT LAST!

Until Paynter came on it was the usual pass,pass,pass,pass,pass,pass...lose the ball without shooting Brighton tactic, very pretty to watch but no end product. Paynter actually gave the attack a focus, someone to pass to who could hold it, shield it then lay it off to CMS. With Paynter it will be possible to play the passing game and produce a shot at the end of it. Those two could make all the difference to us given the chance.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I thought he and CMS linked up well two or three times, on that evidence they should form a good partnership.

porkypie

On the road to no where
Oct 31, 2009
Button Moon
Not so sure about his apparent desire to referee the match as well as playing in it. .

We need someone like that, someone in the reff's ear all the time like nolan was for west ham.
AT LAST!

Until Paynter came on it was the usual pass,pass,pass,pass,pass,pass...lose the ball without shooting Brighton tactic, very pretty to watch but no end product. Paynter actually gave the attack a focus, someone to pass to who could hold it, shield it then lay it off to CMS. With Paynter it will be possible to play the passing game and produce a shot at the end of it. Those two could make all the difference to us given the chance.

This.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Football is about the best team, not necessarily the best 11 individual players on the pitch....Paynter might not be the best or most skillfull player we have but he might be just what is needed to make this team better going forward. Gus has been after him for quite a while so he knows what he can do and knows what he can add to the team.....thats good enough for me..couldnt give a shit what any Leeds fan has to say.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here