Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bike Stolen from outside Durrington Leisure Centre (Worthing) Orange Kona Cinder Cone

superseagulls

Feb 2, 2009
Just done my daily 3 mile run at WLC, and there was a police car out the front and he was going into the admin office when I arrived, so could be related?

sounds hopefull, I was not expecting them to bother. Hope they catch whoever did it.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
curiosity question, but how much are those small GPS Tags you can get to hide on bikes? gonna get me a new ride soon (not £700 worth) and want it tracebale if ever nicked.

:: Selectamark Security Systems Limited ::

They sell a kit including a datatag chip for £ 20.95 , see here.....

Welcome bike register

Opt for the 'Gold' registration.

Most reputable cycle shops will have their kits in stock too. It may not make the bike harder to steal, but it will make it harder to sell, so is therefore more likely to be dumped and therefore recovered. ( Plus it easily identifies the bike to the owner making it easier for the Police to return it to you ).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
:: Selectamark Security Systems Limited ::

They sell a kit including a datatag chip for £ 20.95 , see here.....

Welcome bike register

Opt for the 'Gold' registration.

Most reputable cycle shops will have their kits in stock too. It may not make the bike harder to steal, but it will make it harder to sell, so is therefore more likely to be dumped and therefore recovered. ( Plus it easily identifies the bike to the owner making it easier for the Police to return it to you ).

As I said in my earlier post, I had one of those in my bike. It didn't stop mine being nicked and was no help getting it back.

Waste of money - as you say, they're only useful if the police raid a bike store with loads of stolen bikes. If the bike is flogged privately, you have no chance.

stevey-o

I am the walrus.
Mar 24, 2009
sadly not in Brighton
Assuming it was D-locked or chained, it must have taken some time/effort to cut through the security!? Perhaps with your new one, you could put three locks on it, to make it harder to steal?

I've had a couple of D-locked bikes nicked in Brighton. The second one I couldn't believe - I was literally less than 60 seconds in a newsagent and it was gone when I came out. The policeman said they can be taken off in 10 seconds if you've got the right piece of kit - whether that's true or not I've never used a D-lock since.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I have to wait till tomorrow now to find out from the insurance company if its covered or not.

Good luck with that - a lot of standard Contents policies exclude high-value bikes (even when at home) because of just how easy to nick they are, and how difficult to get back. My £1400 Specialized wasn't covered when I bought the bike, even though my policy covered valuables away from the home and accidental loss etc.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
The other option, as previously suggested, is to buy a proper Thatcham approved motorcycle chain and disc lock, but they're not exactly portable on a push bike. D-locks and cable locks are pretty much useless as a deterrent to the professional thief as they'll come along fully equipped in a van and take every bike on the street.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've had a couple of D-locked bikes nicked in Brighton. The second one I couldn't believe - I was literally less than 60 seconds in a newsagent and it was gone when I came out. The policeman said they can be taken off in 10 seconds if you've got the right piece of kit - whether that's true or not I've never used a D-lock since.
My D-lock came with £15000 insurance policy thingy.
I guess you pays yer money...

Vic's Stick

Nov 18, 2009
I have never owned a bike or stolen one. Therefore I cannot understand why I have read this thread from start to finish and find it quite interesting.
Help ?

superseagulls

Feb 2, 2009
Good luck with that - a lot of standard Contents policies exclude high-value bikes (even when at home) because of just how easy to nick they are, and how difficult to get back. My £1400 Specialized wasn't covered when I bought the bike, even though my policy covered valuables away from the home and accidental loss etc.

good news is its covered, bad news is its £200 exceess, it is currently with their "technical Validation" department, the police also called me saying they didnt go through the CCTV as it was slightly out of the way to seee the actual theft take place. Even though they would have seen the culprit arrive and then ride off with my bike.

stevey-o

I am the walrus.
Mar 24, 2009
sadly not in Brighton
good news is its covered, bad news is its £200 exceess, it is currently with their "technical Validation" department, the police also called me saying they didnt go through the CCTV as it was slightly out of the way to seee the actual theft take place. Even though they would have seen the culprit arrive and then ride off with my bike.

Someone who knows more about the law than me might be able to clarify the situation but I'm sure there's a data protection act thing when you can pay a tenner or something and be sent the footage of yourself. You have a right to see what is held with you on it I think - I remember Mark Thomas going to arms fair and not being allowed to film so just using the DPA to get the footage of himself inside from the CCTV.

That footage may have enough in it for you to see the scummer yourself...

superseagulls

Feb 2, 2009
Someone who knows more about the law than me might be able to clarify the situation but I'm sure there's a data protection act thing when you can pay a tenner or something and be sent the footage of yourself. You have a right to see what is held with you on it I think - I remember Mark Thomas going to arms fair and not being allowed to film so just using the DPA to get the footage of himself inside from the CCTV.

That footage may have enough in it for you to see the scummer yourself...

cheers i will look into that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here