Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bike Stolen from outside Durrington Leisure Centre (Worthing) Orange Kona Cinder Cone

Rabeen

Jul 11, 2003
Worthing
Was it on the bike loops at the front - have you asked if there's any joy on the CCTV? May have caught someone in the distance- give an idea which direction it went. Can you post a picture of the model - any unusual marks, that you may have personalised it with? I'm a teacher in Worthing so will ask the scroats if they hear anything. I locked my similar mountain bike up with a motorcycle lock there a I was so paranoid about something happening to it. Fingers crossed for a miracle.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
this may be a stupid question, from someone who doesn't own a bike, but why on earth would you want to own a £700 bike?!

Surely the difference between a £80 odd bike and a £700 bike can't be that much?

£620.00

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Apologies if this causes offence to anyone who knows him, but what about that beer gutted old bloke that runs the crappy little cycle shop in side street off London Rd towards Level. Looks like the sort of place a stolen bike may end up, without the shopowners knowledge of course.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I know it's probably a bit of a pain in the arse, but for future reference it's worth using two kinds of lock on the bike, a D lock and a chain or wire one.

The logic behind this is that the sort of shits who go out thieving bikes will tend to carry either bolt croppers or a hacksaw, but not both (it's a lot harder to explain to police if you're stopped & you're carrying both items). Thus having 2 different locks can be the difference between your bike going walkies and the next, easier one.

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;3382059 said:
Might be worth telling the OB. It's highly likely they'll wanna sell it, possibly using Cash Converters or the like.

A bit controversial implying either that the Police nicked it or are involved in some sort of shady bike selling racket. You going to stand for that Edna?

only went for an hour of footy on the astroturf, wish I caught them at it.:rant:

Another question... from what I've heard isn't the protocol with WLC that even if you have a bike you go through dog walknig area in west park over the fence then into the astro not paying till they kick you off?? Would that not have been easier, or even if you paid why not take the bike in with you as there is side gate going into the running track which leads to the astro?

At least that's what a lot of my mates do!! Is different for everyone and I have lots of sympathy as the kind of scumbags around durrington are in the numbers.....which is why as where i live is on tarring/durrington border i claim it as Tarring!!

Hope you have some luck finding it supaseagulls!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Apologies if this causes offence to anyone who knows him, but what about that beer gutted old bloke that runs the crappy little cycle shop in side street off London Rd towards Level. Looks like the sort of place a stolen bike may end up, without the shopowners knowledge of course.

Strudwicks? I doubt it - that's a long-standing bike shop, I think it's a pretty respectable bike shop, you don't last 40 years (at least) if you're up to something dodgy.

I'm still smarting from the loss of my bike at London Bridge station over a year ago. It was locked with a D-Lock and another lock; it was parked under a CCTV camera and it had an RFID device in it - all to no avail. The police did get the bloke that did it (he was caught on the camera) but that was no help getting my bike back.
:angry:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This may be a stupid question, from someone who doesn't own a bike, but why on earth would you want to own a £700 bike?!

Surely the difference between a £80 odd bike and a £700 bike can't be THAT much?

T'is a shame I didn't see this, last night, it looks like everyone else has pointed out the stupidity of that statement.

Good luck mate.

As Enda says 2 very good locks is the way to go, although a nutter colleague of mine takes that a little to far.
He carries with him 2 lengths of what I can only describe as cruise liner mooring chain, with 2 locks the size of your fist, all to lock up his £80 odd bike. The locks are definately worth more than the bike.

superseagulls

Feb 2, 2009
Was it on the bike loops at the front - have you asked if there's any joy on the CCTV? May have caught someone in the distance- give an idea which direction it went. Can you post a picture of the model - any unusual marks, that you may have personalised it with? I'm a teacher in Worthing so will ask the scroats if they hear anything. I locked my similar mountain bike up with a motorcycle lock there a I was so paranoid about something happening to it. Fingers crossed for a miracle.

Hi there, this is the model

Cinder Cone

unfortunately the loops at the front were full so I had to chaing it up against the small wooden fence near by. I asked them to show me the CCTV but they said they will go through it with the police (thats if they even bother to go to the leisure centre which I serioulsy doubt they will), when I phoned the police they just gave me a ref number at thats it.

superseagulls

Feb 2, 2009
I know it's probably a bit of a pain in the arse, but for future reference it's worth using two kinds of lock on the bike, a D lock and a chain or wire one.

The logic behind this is that the sort of shits who go out thieving bikes will tend to carry either bolt croppers or a hacksaw, but not both (it's a lot harder to explain to police if you're stopped & you're carrying both items). Thus having 2 different locks can be the difference between your bike going walkies and the next, easier one.

its was locked with a cable lock and a combination lock.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
My current bike I own is stolen. Only paid £50 for it:thumbsup:

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Intersting post because as a Locksmith I get a fair number of calls from people saying that they have lost the keys to their bike lock ( which is often locked at a station or similar ) and am asked to release it for them. Unless however they can prove the bike is theirs, I steer well clear !!!!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Just done my daily 3 mile run at WLC, and there was a police car out the front and he was going into the admin office when I arrived, so could be related?

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I once had a bright Orange Voodoo bike that cost me £700 and I ADORED it so I feel your pain and similarly have no questions as to its cost.

Sadly, as has been mentioned, the chances of it being found are extremely low, which is why bicycle theft is such a popular crime. What's entirely infuriating is that the police seem to care not a jot whenever you report a stolen bike to them.

One street I used to live on in town would often be littered with bolt cut bike locks after a van would turn up in the night, tear every locked bike from the railings up the road and bundle them in the back before driving off. The problem is what are you supposed to do? High density housing dictates that there is no chance of keeping your bike indoors all the time and no matter how strong the lock you buy, there always seems to be a way round it for the criminals.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
One street I used to live on in town would often be littered with bolt cut bike locks after a van would turn up in the night, tear every locked bike from the railings up the road and bundle them in the back before driving off. The problem is what are you supposed to do? High density housing dictates that there is no chance of keeping your bike indoors all the time and no matter how strong the lock you buy, there always seems to be a way round it for the criminals.

I once had bike stolen from outside the Royal Courts of Justice, somewhere I thought would be pretty safe as there are loads of coppers around there and CCTV everywhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here