Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bigotgate and the Mail on Sunday

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
When Harriet Harperson said "gordon didn't really mean what he said" I presume she was referring to the apology??

He's a dead man walking - after next week his hideous rictus grin will just be a distant nightmare.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
I would never tell anyone a private conversation I had with another person. She has sold her soul to the media.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Absolutely, make hay while the sun shines. This weekend she will be the big story, next weekend after the election is over she will all be forgotten about (well not by Gordon Brown :lolol:)

But she's already booked for the next I'm A Celebrity where she will share a tent with Jack Tweed.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
One - at a time, four days after the event, when most of the debate has moved on from this discourse (not the debate about immigration, the debate about the comment itself), the Mail wants to keep it going and going.

Two - it's the Mail, not exactly noted for its sense of balance or prudence in its headlines, reporting or stories. Will Brown be allowed a right of reply?

But, no matter what this woman tells the paper - and face it, she is being offered a ton of cash (and I can't help feeling she is going to be sorely manipulated by the Mail) rather than her telling it because it's a story she feels that NEEDS to be told - the Mail will put its own spin on it to such an extent that many people will see it for what it is; a 'Give Gordon a Kicking' time. Whoop-de-doo - like, you wouldn't expect that from the Mail, would you?

Meanwhile, most of the rest of the country - floating voters particularly - want to know about national policies, what a new government would bring, how much it's going to cost us etc, not a grumpy Scotsman's - albeit ill-advised - off-hand remark. Just now and then, while the majority of the country has moved on from this, that sort of thing does risk backfiring. For instance, the Tory press tried a crude stunt to go big on Nick Clegg's finances, and look what happened. Nada.

Now if this 'interview' was in the Observer or even the Sunday Times, I think that might be different, and Gordon ought to be shitting himself then.

Sounds like you are worried about nothing? Any splash in The Mail is not going to have any impact on Labour supporters is it? It is merely catering for its market in the same way as the Mirror and Guardian do for its market.

If Camaron had made a similar blunder and referred to Mrs Duffy as dreadfully working class or similar The People and the Mirror would be desperate for the apology story and spinning it like a top.

Relax, floating voters know this, its only those who do not posses a balanced political objectivity that see it any different. The are just like religous fundamentalists, or bigots if you will.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
One - at a time, four days after the event, when most of the debate has moved on from this discourse (not the debate about immigration, the debate about the comment itself), the Mail wants to keep it going and going.

Two - it's the Mail, not exactly noted for its sense of balance or prudence in its headlines, reporting or stories. Will Brown be allowed a right of reply?

But, no matter what this woman tells the paper - and face it, she is being offered a ton of cash (and I can't help feeling she is going to be sorely manipulated by the Mail) rather than her telling it because it's a story she feels that NEEDS to be told - the Mail will put its own spin on it to such an extent that many people will see it for what it is; a 'Give Gordon a Kicking' time. Whoop-de-doo - like, you wouldn't expect that from the Mail, would you?

Meanwhile, most of the rest of the country - floating voters particularly - want to know about national policies, what a new government would bring, how much it's going to cost us etc, not a grumpy Scotsman's - albeit ill-advised - off-hand remark. Just now and then, while the majority of the country has moved on from this, that sort of thing does risk backfiring. For instance, the Tory press tried a crude stunt to go big on Nick Clegg's finances, and look what happened. Nada.

Now if this 'interview' was in the Observer or even the Sunday Times, I think that might be different, and Gordon ought to be shitting himself then.

You seem to appear that the only people that vote Labour are middle class lefties that drink cappucino andread the Guardian.

Most labour voters are working class and live in northern towns and some of them probably aren't all that interested in politics but vote Labour because they have and their family have for years. A fair few of them probably take the Mail on Sunday.

If suddenly they read that the Labour leader has been a twat to someone in a similar situation to them then while they might not go out and vote for someone else, but it might well make them a lot less likely to go out and vote for GB. That sort of thing doesn't come across very well in polls, but can have a big effect (like why they never have elections in the winter) and the biggest shock for bigotgate might only be seen on the night of the election when they use normally safe seats to Lib Dem and Con because they haven't got their vote out.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I suppose if i'd know of Patricide,Fratricide and Matricide before hand then i would of got it and found it funny, i don't get what it has to do with this thread tho, bit random!!

I'd never heard of those 3 words either but knew what the suffix '-icide' meant just from US cop dramas/films.

D

Deleted User X18H

How can you possibly know the content of the Observer or Times this Sunday?

This has obviously been targeted by the Sunday Mail to keep this appallingly callous statement made by the Prime Minister about a member of voting public,in the public domain 5 days prior polling day. To show what a rather hot headed, crass,insincere bully we will have to vote out of Government.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Sounds like you are worried about nothing? Any splash in The Mail is not going to have any impact on Labour supporters is it? It is merely catering for its market in the same way as the Mirror and Guardian do for its market.

If Camaron had made a similar blunder and referred to Mrs Duffy as dreadfully working class or similar The People and the Mirror would be desperate for the apology story and spinning it like a top.

Relax, floating voters know this, its only those who do not posses a balanced political objectivity that see it any different. The are just like religous fundamentalists, or bigots if you will.

I fully agree. Any splash in the Mail probably won't have an effect on Labour voters - but it might have an effect on floating voters, and not necessarily one they intend to happen.

The point is, if the Mirror or People had gone with a Cameron gaffe, they too would be risking the same backfire.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
How can you possibly know the content of the Observer or Times this Sunday?

This has obviously been targeted by the Sunday Mail to keep this appallingly callous statement made by the Prime Minister about a member of voting public,in the public domain 5 days prior polling day. To show what a rather hot headed, crass,insincere bully we will have to vote out of Government.

Oh shut up, you tedious tit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here