Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Biggest North Stand crowd surge

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This thread got me thinking. Bizarrely enough, one of the biggest Goldstone crowd surges I remember wasn't even in the North - it was in the East when Stuart Storer scored against Donny. With the Goldstone falling apart the crowd was restricted to about 11,000 or something so you took a ticket wherever you could get it. The fact that the East was chock full of North Standers who couldn't get a ticket in the North was a pleasant surprise as the atmosphere on there was electric that day.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I'm thinking Reinelt v. Hereford. It wasn't a surge as such, which needs a great lunge forward. I consider the celebrations at Hereford to be more of a "mosh", with lots of hugging, pushing and jumping more or less on the spot.

southern_sid

Banned
Aug 5, 2011
All them people on the pithc celebrating, ban the lot of em.:rolleyes:

credit where credit is due rev! I always wanted to go in the old (pre-eighties) north but my dad was strict:(

i remember that millwall game. Was it the one where they were put in front of the west stand and climbed in?a bloke in front if me poured a flask of tea over them from above, they climbed into the west, a brick went flying by from somewhere and i am pretty sure there was a stabbing near the ground by old shoreham road after the game.

the shooter game was a few years before that! Millwall in the north!

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
The old Clock End was definitely the squashiest for me.

We were down in the old south stand for the Liverpool '84 cup game. Watching the footage of those 2 goals reminded me of just how short Steve Penney's shorts were!!

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
That was the tightest crowd I've ever been in, and it's easy to see how a few extra hundred infiltrators had such devastating consequences a couple of years later at the Leppings Lane end.
I remember that, I was just a nipper then 7/8 and I remember when we scored the surge forward caused me to get split up from my dad, there I was trying to find the old man when an absolute hulk of a man picked me up and sat me on his shoulders saying "see if you can see him now" anyway I spotted him what seemed like miles back up the terrace. So I spent the rest of the game with this fella, who duly delivered me back to my dad at the end.
I never did see that chap again, but to me epitomises everything that's great about a terrace, yes you've got a load of pissed up boisterous blokes jumping aroun like lunatics..........but when push comes to shove they all look after each other.
Having grown up on the north terrace I never felt in danger and the kids were always looked out for. Great times

southern_sid

Banned
Aug 5, 2011
I remember that, I was just a nipper then 7/8 and I remember when we scored the surge forward caused me to get split up from my dad, there I was trying to find the old man when an absolute hulk of a man picked me up and sat me on his shoulders saying "see if you can see him now" anyway I spotted him what seemed like miles back up the terrace. So I spent the rest of the game with this fella, who duly delivered me back to my dad at the end.
I never did see that chap again, but to me epitomises everything that's great about a terrace, yes you've got a load of pissed up boisterous blokes jumping aroun like lunatics..........but when push comes to shove they all look after each other.
Having grown up on the north terrace I never felt in danger and the kids were always looked out for. Great times

Cracking post.

Used to work with an old boy, big albion fan, when he saw us against Fulham years ago he couldnt get his fags out of his pocket cos of the busyness, that is clearly to busy.

Miss terracing loads, its what football is all about.

Have to say it, sometimes the football gets in the way of a good day nowadays..:(

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I honestly don't see why we can't have standing areas (not like old terracing), like they do in Germany. Been to Munich( old Olympic Stadium), Dortmund and Frankfurt. All with these standing areas that convert to seats if needed. There can be no surge so totally safe, the clubs charge the same as they do for seats so no revenue lost. It's a win win. Imagine the North Stand at the Amex, all Standing. Quality.

southern_sid

Banned
Aug 5, 2011
I honestly don't see why we can't have standing areas (not like old terracing), like they do in Germany. Been to Munich( old Olympic Stadium), Dortmund and Frankfurt. All with these standing areas that convert to seats if needed. There can be no surge so totally safe, the clubs charge the same as they do for seats so no revenue lost. It's a win win. Imagine the North Stand at the Amex, all Standing. Quality.

They worry about all the mobs standing together and causing agg, with allocated seating its hard for all the 'risk supporters' to mob up.

I know you go where you want generally on aways, but thats how they see it i reckon.

They worry about all the mobs standing together and causing agg, with allocated seating its hard for all the 'risk supporters' to mob up.

I know you go where you want generally on aways, but thats how they see it i reckon.

With cctv and s/t only in the standing areas it would be hard to cause aggro tbo! The crowd would not be jammed packed like the old days! little risk:moo:

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one

Yes, but here's where they are wrong because your space is numbered and has a fold down seat behind it. If it's a sell out, the club sell the allocated space, works the same as seats but only you can officially stand throughout. It's modern standing, something the FA don't understand.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Not sure about the North Stand but the Clock End at Highbury was mental when that free kick went in!

but not as MENTAL as when the winner went in - nice bit of delayed reaction - and the complete MAYHEM at the final whistle

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

Because people have DIED in standing areas since the year dot. And after hillsborough, that was not acceptable to continue. Something had to change and the quickets and easist solution was to make the whole arena, seated. And you tend not to get scenes like this in seated areas.....
hillsborough3.jpg

You could do what they have done in Germany with safe standing areas, but only if you can double the area that the stadium occupies as, so to install the systems requires a complete rebuilding of an existing stadium if you want to keep the capacity at the same numbers. For instance if we put in safe seating into the Amex - its capacity would drop by about 35-40% simply to accommodate the safe seating system.

oh, and you'd have to change the law. Could take a decade or more.

Last edited:

southern_sid

Banned
Aug 5, 2011
Because people have DIED in standing areas since the year dot. And after hillsborough, that was not acceptable to continue. Something had to change and that was to make the whole arena, seated.

You could do what they have done in Germany with safe standing areas, but only if you can double the area that the stadium occupies as, so to install the systems requires a complete rebuilding of an existing stadium if you want to keep the capacity at the same numbers. For instance if we put in safe seating into the Amex - its capacity would drop by about 35-40% simply to accommodate the safe seating system.

People have died crossing the road, lets ban cars.

It could work with more safety barriers.

Never happen though.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Anyone remember that ridiculous game at Peterborough in the cup when there was a couple of inches of snow on their pitch? There were about six thousand Brighton there, crammed in dangerously tight. It was not long after Hillsborough I think and I remember thinking all it needs is for someone to trip over......

err Peterbrough was in 1986 about three years BEFORE Hillsborough.:lolol:

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
People have died crossing the road, lets ban cars.

It could work with more safety barriers.

Never happen though.

You'd have to double the amount of land occupied by each stadium.

You can't just replace static seats with this system - it takes up much more room

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
err Peterbrough was in 1986 about three years BEFORE Hillsborough.:lolol:

I think I went to that game on a special train put on by the club. I also think they handed out red scarfs, but I'm
not 100% sure on either of those points

southern_sid

Banned
Aug 5, 2011
Because people have DIED in standing areas since the year dot. And after hillsborough, that was not acceptable to continue. Something had to change and the quickets and easist solution was to make the whole arena, seated. And you tend not to get scenes like this in seated areas.....
hillsborough3.jpg

Whats the point in adding that photo you dick head.

We all know what happened ffs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here