Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Biggest North Stand crowd surge

Oct 2, 2008
That was the tightest crowd I've ever been in, and it's easy to see how a few extra hundred infiltrators at the Leppings Lane end had such devastating consequences a couple of years later.

My thoughts entirely. I started in the middle of the Clock End but it was such a crush that I just had to get out...... somehow managed to and ended up going right to the back. Good move because I got a great view of Jimmys free kick. Someone could so easily have got hurt that day.

HenryC

Mar 27, 2010
South West!
When Wardy scored against Blackpool, last game of the season. Ten row surge minimum in the North. We all thought we were going to Div 1 until the SCC and Spurs stitched us up.

It WAS mental in the north when that goal went in. I can't imagine what it would have been like if he'd scored i in front of the north stand that day. In fact the whole goldstone went berserk when he scored.

It was also pretty amazing earlier that week (evening game against Charlton?) when Poskett scored the winner in the north end, although I don't remember a big surge. Anyone else remember that game?

Does anyone remember Gary Williams winner against forest. The NS went ballistic that day too.

Oh, what memories. Shame we can't have a terrace at the Amex!

The Auctioneer

Jun 24, 2011
Clock end no doubt. Would have caught Case's freekick if the net had not been there. it was coming straight at me and you could see it was in well before it hit the net. It was just bloody mental. I think getting to Wembley for the cup final was so important that the crowd just exploded. What a day.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
It WAS mental in the north when that goal went in. I can't imagine what it would have been like if he'd scored i in front of the north stand that day. In fact the whole goldstone went berserk when he scored.

It was also pretty amazing earlier that week (evening game against Charlton?) when Poskett scored the winner in the north end, although I don't remember a big surge. Anyone else remember that game?

Does anyone remember Gary Williams winner against forest. The NS went ballistic that day too.

Oh, what memories. Shame we can't have a terrace at the Amex!

Yeah the North Stand seemed to celebrate that Gary Williams goal for about ten minutes - also went mental on Boxing Day '79 when we stuffed Palace.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Peter Ward against Derby in the league cup. Alaways forget the year, I think 76ish.

Willie Irvine screamer at the South end in 72, North Stand went mental & I was only 11.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Peter Ward against Derby in the league cup. Alaways forget the year, I think 76ish.

Willie Irvine screamer at the South end in 72, North Stand went mental & I was only 11.

What a fantastic thread!

That Wardy goal against Derby, the Case free-kick and Terry Connor's goal against Liverpool. Great stuff, I was in the shot of the north going mental for the second Liverpool goal.

Anyone remember that ridiculous game at Peterborough in the cup when there was a couple of inches of snow on their pitch? There were about six thousand Brighton there, crammed in dangerously tight. It was not long after Hillsborough I think and I remember thinking all it needs is for someone to trip over......

Edit. The Williams goal against Forest was very memorable,I always recall Brian Clough saying any goal scored in the last minute was lucky. Funny how a few Weeks later when they lifted the European cup with Trevor Francis scoring the late winner, it was all about how brilliant they all were.

Last edited:

It was a regular occurrence during the seventies to start on the second step from the back (BACK STEP ROZZERS) and end at the perimeter wall,the old roof made for a much better atmosphere tbo. When people hark back to the 80's north stand it shows when they started watching.Nothing wrong with that but north stand far more impressive in the 70's. Then again what was it like in the 60's:moo:

What a fantastic thread!

Anyone remember that ridiculous game at Peterborough in the cup when there was a couple of inches of snow on their pitch? There were about six thousand Brighton there, crammed in dangerously tight. It was not long after Hillsborough I think and I remember thinking all it needs is for someone to trip over......
\

I was at that game, did you see the big feature they did of it in the last home programme?
I was only 10 or so, and feet couldn't touch the ground. It was pretty scary stuff. All I remember was the ball hitting a lump of snow and going over Digweed, and Hans Kraay jumping up and down on the goal line whenever we had a corner, while we sung "Hans is Evil!"

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
That was the tightest crowd I've ever been in, and it's easy to see how a few extra hundred infiltrators had such devastating consequences a couple of years later at the Leppings Lane end.

talking of crowd surges and the leppings lane end,check out this from 2 years before the disaster,looks bloody packed.7.20minutes in,picture a bit grainy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCg0cZxPV8M

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I was at that game, did you see the big feature they did of it in the last home programme?
I was only 10 or so, and feet couldn't touch the ground. It was pretty scary stuff. All I remember was the ball hitting a lump of snow and going over Digweed, and Hans Kraay jumping up and down on the goal line whenever we had a corner, while we sung "Hans is Evil!"

Tightest ever only time lifted off ground & carried for a long time & loudest, think 6,000 in a low roof tin box that holds 3,000 these days...I recall we went 1 down 20 mins to go, equalised 15 mins to go 2-1 down 10 mins to go & equalised 5 mins to go...cue chaos... This anywhere close!? Sensational day out

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It was a regular occurrence during the seventies to start on the second step from the back (BACK STEP ROZZERS) and end at the perimeter wall,the old roof made for a much better atmosphere tbo. When people hark back to the 80's north stand it shows when they started watching.Nothing wrong with that but north stand far more impressive in the 70's. Then again what was it like in the 60's:moo:

Comments regarding the eighties north stand do not necessarily harken back to when someone started watching Rev. Some of us were kids in the seventies and were not allowed in by our parents, instead having to settle for the more sedate and tranquil environment of the East or West stands respectively:)

sparky999

Aug 5, 2011
think it was 79-80 against preston north end but might have been season before. massive knees up mother brown,top of the table you must go ,then huge surge, even with them old barriers never seen so many people going over and having to be helped back up again, awesome,but deadly.

thats one hell of a score.....!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

I missed that feature as I didn't buy a programme that day. I remember standing near the back near to two of our fans who were arguing through the first half. One was balancing on the wall at the back and he aimed a kick at the other, missed completely but managed to kick my friend's wig off (he was a cancer sufferer at the time). I'll never forget the wig sailing over several rows of heads into the crowd. Apart from concern for my friend's embarrassment I have to admit, I found it incredibly amusing but somehow managed to stifle my laughs.

It was a great experience that day but not one I would care to repeat.

Comments regarding the eighties north stand do not necessarily harken back to when someone started watching Rev. Some of us were kids in the seventies and were not allowed in by our parents, instead having to settle for the more sedate and tranquil environment of the East or West stands respectively:)

Second step from the back 11 years old! millwall in the north with a shooter or thats the rumour! Police lining up under the shadows of a dark and exciting north stand!
It smelt of fags and sweat and was inhabited by by tartan wearing long haired yobs! lovely!:moo:

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Second step from the back 11 years old! millwall in the north with a shooter or thats the rumour! Police lining up under the shadows of a dark and exciting north stand!
It smelt of fags and sweat and was inhabited by by tartan wearing long haired yobs! lovely!:moo:

Credit where credit is due Rev! I always wanted to go in the old (pre-eighties) north but my dad was strict:(

I remember that Millwall game. Was it the one where they were put in front of the West stand and climbed in?A bloke in front if me poured a flask of tea over them from above, they climbed into the west, a brick went flying by from somewhere and I am pretty sure there was a stabbing near the ground by Old Shoreham Road after the game.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here