Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Biggest Albion game you have missed and reason why

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
A friend of mine missed the Man City game as he made the schoolboy error of booking a holiday before he knew the date of the game.

I missed the '83 FA Cup Final and Replay (live that is) as my dad had ricked his back and was off work for six weeks at the time. Had to make do with watching the telly and casting doubts over my dad's excuse as he danced round the room when Stevens equalised!!!

Sadly I was too young at the time to go on my own.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
In my Albion lifetime, Spurs in the FA Cup because I couldn't get a ticket.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Albion v Swindon, Playoff Semi-Final 2nd Leg. Went to the 1st leg, but had an exam at 2.30pm in Aberystwyth on the day of the 2nd. Had to make do with the TV down the pub, but still enjoyed it every bit!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Last game at the Goldstone. My cricket was cancelled (had to play for the school team) and I was priced out by touts :angry: I ended up watching much of it from above the East Terrace.

Brighton vs Swindon Town (semi-final) as I was not able to get a ticket, despite going to see 20 out of the 23 home ties. :angry:

Brighton vs Bristol City (Cardiff) as I was not able to get a ticket before I left for holiday, due to the immense queues and then got stuck in traffic on the way over to Cardiff (via Devon, as I was moving there that day) and had to give up a promised ticket. Missed the first ten minutes on TV. :angry:

Brighton vs Man Utd (1983) x2 as I was only three. :angry:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Palace away ... THAT game

was all looking forward to it but was really REALLY poorly that morning and actually spent most of the game with my head in a toilet - feeling that little bit worse every time another goal went in :(

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Cup Final plus every home game since c1988 as don't live anywhere near..... and almost all away games.

Bad fan:(:(:cry:

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
1983 Cup Final - was in the queue and the last tickets were sold just 5 people in front of my father. He'd queued for hours. We got some for the replay but then everything had gone tits up.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
In my Albion lifetime it would probabily be Grimsby away where we needed to stay up on the last day of the season back in 2003.

I've always managed to get a ticket for a game that i have wanted to go to but didn't really travel away much back then as didn't really know that many people to travel with.

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
ive never gone public on this much before, but I missed the exeter game in 2000 when Darren Freeman scored the first goal of the millenium. My reason was that i didint rellise it was a luchtime kick-off! I hadnt bought the argus for a few days !:down::dunce::blush::blush:

The only competitive albion game ive ever missed at withdean aswell!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Newcastle away 1979, I had agreed to referee a five a side tournament down at Madeira Drive. I was gutted.

Bradford at home 1988. Left it too late to organise myself and see the great partnership of Nelson and Bremner lead us to promotion.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Hereford.

I had a ticket but wifey was due to give birth that day. Had so much grief from relatives I didn't go.
And she didn't drop that day anyway.

:censored::censored::censored:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
1983 Cup Final - was in the queue and the last tickets were sold just 5 people in front of my father. He'd queued for hours. We got some for the replay but then everything had gone tits up.

My brother went and queued for about six hours to get tickets to the Final and didn't get anywhere near as close to the front of the queue as your dad...no consolation of course, none of us got to see the game...even more galling with the rumours of Man Utd fans having "obtained" tickets in our end.

...I also missed the game against Norwich thanks to a geography field trip to Southampton...that was bad enough!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
My brother went and queued for about six hours to get tickets to the Final and didn't get anywhere near as close to the front of the queue as your dad...no consolation of course, none of us got to see the game...even more galling with the rumours of Man Utd fans having "obtained" tickets in our end.

...I also missed the game against Norwich thanks to a geography field trip to Southampton...that was bad enough!

Weren't those tickets obtained from our own team, backroom staff and Melia himself, passing on batches to touts ??

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Hereford away.................honestly thought we were out of the league, and with no ground, the end of the Albion. Just too much tension in that game for me.

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
Weren't those tickets obtained from our own team, backroom staff and Melia himself, passing on batches to touts ??

bamber sold on part(thousands) of our allocation to united, everyone who had the vouchers from earlier rounds, or at least one of them, got a ticket.

he didn't want to risk being stuck with unsold blocks so united got most of the upper tiers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here