Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bigger modern day club legend: Zamora or Murray?

Bigger club legend:

• Zamora

Votes: 89 52.0%
  • Murray

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other

Votes: 8 4.7%

• Total voters

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I know the answer is Murray but he cheated on us. I know that it was our fault he cheated on us but he did it with the worst possible people.

That’s why for me, heart says Zamora, head says Muzza.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
It's an intriguing question.

Zamora had a higher strike record for us (0.56 v 0.39) with league goals in Tiers 2, 3 and 4, but Murray scored more and at a higher level in Tiers 1, 2 and 3.

Zamora was clearly the jewel in the crown at Withdean and scored 30+ goals in successive seasons to give us 2 titles.

But Murray's strikes took us to the Premier promised land. And it's likely that we'd have got there sooner if we'd have kept him the first time.

If I had to choose, it's going to be Murray based on goals, appearances and level of football.

But I prefer to remember it like this:

Zamora - club legend of the 2000s

Murray - club legend of the 2010s

Incidentally for any players reading, the club legend position for the 2020s is currently open.

As an equal opportunity employer, applications are welcomed from all regardless of position, but the role would especially suit a striker at the current time.

Dunk is firmly in contention for the all-time club legend position. But he's got more years to play and his CV is still being added to every season.

Last edited:

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Murray for me, he scored more goals than Zamora albeit in more games but the majority of them were at a higher level than Zamora. Very very close though. 9.5/10 for Glen....9 for Zamora. If I had to pick one for a Premier league Brighton side it would be Murray. ( although Bobby did it for Spurs & West Ham)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Is there such a thing as a bigger legend? You're either a legend or you're not.

If we're talking about the most important striker then it has to be Zamora. His goals, the promotions, his transfer fee were all vital in getting us through a period when we were a forgotten team in the fourth tier and didn't have a pot to piss in.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Both, but there will be no question when everything’s all said and done with Dunky. The crown is his.

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
Legend

Attachments

• images-1.jpeg
    images-1.jpeg
    7.1 KB · Views: 122

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Given the 'modern day' era started at around the French Revolution (1789), it has to be Ward.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Zamora for me - the world was younger then, we were all younger then, and for me, at least, the world was a happier place then.

That ................... and the song ..............

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Muzza for me, a huge number of goals in two promotions that took us to the top and kept us there. My favourite Albion player.

Whilst Zamora is also special for his goal scoring when we had a tiny budget playing in an athletics ground.

Two hugely pivotal promotions as well. If I have to choose, Murray for me.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
BZ the sort of striker we could only dream of, at a time, when we had to be content with picking up a striker, who couldn't get in the Bristol Rovers team (they really had some strikers to choose from back then!). The thrill when we signed him and the expectation every time he played, right through to that lung busting swan song goal as a parting gift. He always had the gift of goalscoring, even if injury hampered him in those later years.

GM had the greater impact I think, but wasn't always everyone's favourite. He added a huge amount to his game over time and that period where he combined pace and physical strength to good effect, he was a true menace.

I have voted for Bobby, but Post Peter Ward, I would imagine most would have these two ranked first and second for best Brighton centre forwards.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I think it's Murray for me, but by the barest of margins. Both absolutely incredible players for us and both will long live in the club's memory.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Murray probably would have been for me but I am afraid that he blotted his copy book by going to play for them up the road.

Not fully his fault, by all accounts but still, for me, his legacy is tainted by the pulling on that shirt.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Bobby. For what he represented.

After all that had gone before we were back in Brighton and we finally had a team to be proud of. The figure head of that was Bobby. A magical player in a magical time. Brighton were back. Back in town and back in business.

No slight is meant on Murray he was a wonderful player and deserves all the love, respect and praise that has and will come his way.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Bit insulting about one of our greatest. And he did NOT cheat on us.

When Poyet went to the Argus 18 months after Muzza left, he effectively blamed Muzza's departure on the Board ... with the "two budgets" whinge.

That they'd found the money to enrich Peterborough, Watford. CMS and Buckley, but wouldn't pay our brilliant striker a Championship wage.

Poyet might be lying, perhaps he wanted Muzza out, but no one blamed Muzza.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here