Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Big Society"

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I expect all the "ladies that lunch" doing their two hours a week social volunteering will end up being included in the "in employment" figures.

Real "Ladies that lunch" are probably not claiming unemployment benefit, so wouldn't be included in the unemployment figures.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
In my experience, most volunteers doing really valuable weekday work (weekends is clearly different) are either retired, very young, or find for some reason money isn't the issue to them it is to most ordinary people, either through personal wealth or being married to someone in high-paid employment. These people, some of whom do a great job, are clearly not typical of the working population and so formulating policy around them being in any way 'workers' getting back to work is just ridiculous.

If Cameron's 'Big Society' idea can make more people realise that half of what happens to improve their quality of life requires some voluntary contribution, and they then get involved in something they care about themselves, all well and good. If it does turn out to be a bare-faced way of slashing public sector jobs and expecting the already over stretched voluntary sector to pick up the slack, it is doomed to failure and the country and communities will suffer as a result.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
In my experience, most volunteers doing really valuable weekday work (weekends is clearly different) are either retired, very young, or find for some reason money isn't the issue to them it is to most ordinary people, either through personal wealth or being married to someone in high-paid employment. These people, some of whom do a great job, are clearly not typical of the working population and so formulating policy around them being in any way 'workers' getting back to work is just ridiculous.

If Cameron's 'Big Society' idea can make more people realise that half of what happens to improve their quality of life requires some voluntary contribution, and they then get involved in something they care about themselves, all well and good. If it does turn out to be a bare-faced way of slashing public sector jobs and expecting the already over stretched voluntary sector to pick up the slack, it is doomed to failure and the country and communities will suffer as a result.

Absolutely spot on, and sadly I fear the latter is more likely to come to pass.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
If I was David Cameron I'd just start out with fixing society first before I enlarged it.

Then I'd probably repeatedly punch myself in the face.

then those Milliband twats

then Clegg

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The bits on local BBC news last week regarding Whitehawk last week were quite interesting. Despite what the media would have you believe, the people interviewed were very positive about the place, saying how little trouble there was in reality, and how much of a community spirit there was there. I don't know the truth, I have no experience, and the people could have been had-picked and heavily edited - but it was interesting.

Its all down to how many problem families you have on the estate , also with right to buy once you tip the scales with more privately owned properties than council tenants the whole area takes an upwards and positive outlook.

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
"Real "Ladies that lunch" are probably not claiming unemployment benefit, so wouldn't be included in the unemployment figures. "quoted by TRICKY DICKY

I was refering to the Government "IN WORK" STATISTICS.

Not unemployment figures.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Simon Simon - The Coalition would just be picking up where the previous administration left us when it comes to fudging figures. It is prevalent in all governments.

Not that I agree with your initial statement.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Unfortunately that leaves the door open for busy bodies.

I guess you'd also get a load of gob-shite Daily Mail readers and taxi-drivers wanting a piece of the action as well.

And who would actually vet all these people to see if they have the correct qualifications and experience to take on the 'Big Society' positions?

Why do we always have to do things on the cheap?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here