Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Big Society"

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The Tory Big Society, obviously, or are you just being facetious?

I love how everyone is an expert and cant wait to have their two penny worth before anything is actually implemented.

Can someone explain exactly what it is then ?

I recently donated some soil to a gardener who looks after a strip of public land round here. Does that I mean I can enter Dave's big tent ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I love how everyone is an expert and cant wait to have their two penny worth before anything is actually implemented.

thats called politics. and in theory nothing will be "implemented", services for the community will spring forth from the public.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
thats called politics. and in theory nothing will be "implemented", services for the community will spring forth from the public.

mainwaring.jpg

Modern politics worries me more than ever.
We are on the cusp of war from a variety of places, and the weapons - and self-righteousness involved - could see total destruction from the first folly.

Reasons are in place for many disgruntled parties to just kick off, the United Nations have been almost snuffed out as a power by the ignorance of them by our politicians, the US and Israel, and an attack may not be announced or necessarily on foreign soil.
WE are occupiers of foreign lands. Occupiers. We are subject-able to propaganda, lies, and catchy advertising promotions for war.

(Incidentally)

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
There will be no shortage of volunteers as Dodgy Dave envisages 75% on various benefits will have to do their bit as an alternative to watching daytime TV.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It already happens doesn't it ?

Indeed.

> As Looney has mentioned, the RNLI provide a service that isn't government funded that in reality should be.

> Lions clubs often pick up the shortfall in government funding for things such as cancer support and sheltered housing

> Private rest homes - something that should be government funded but isn't

> Many cancer charities

> Homeless charities such as YMCA

etc etc etc

It's not a new idea at all ! That said I'm all for removing government from as much of our lives as possible. Now lets hope it includes removing them from the daft all-seater stadia rules.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
actually we have prisoners and people doing community work around the school at the moment...painting etc.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'd rather have elected politicians and/or the council running the show than a bunch of middle-class busy-bodies with way too much time on their hands. I've always felt the worst class of all is the aspirational middle-class....and they will end up running the show.

The idea of Brighton being run by people from The Regency Society and Save Hove backed up by random self-righteous types really does fill me with fear.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'd rather have elected politicians and/or the council running the show than a bunch of middle-class busy-bodies with way too much time on their hands. I've always felt the worst class of all is the aspirational middle-class....and they will end up running the show.

who said anything about councils being replaced? i'd have thought they would become more prominent as local projects need funding allocated and coordination locally. and who do you think most councillers are now anyway? in my (limited) experience, even the Labour ones are middle class.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
..and my own view is that if you want decent services then up taxes and pay for them properly. Stop trying to do everything on the cheap and go for quality..which costs money.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

The idea of Brighton being run by people from The Regency Society and Save Hove backed up by random self-righteous types really does fill me with fear.

I think I agree with the sentiment of this HT - but just to be Devils Advocate, who wold you rather attempt run things, "aspirational" people, who by definition are positive people who want to make a change, or (for the sake of argument, and to wrongly generalise about people) a bunch of Benefit taking council estate people. Not sure the parallel with the regency society is correct, as they are just negative and intent on stopping things from changing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
who said anything about councils being replaced? i'd have thought they would become more prominent as local projects need funding allocated and coordination locally. and who do you think most councillers are now anyway? in my (limited) experience, even the Labour ones are middle class.

Councils will not be replaced but as power is devolved and locals get more of a say I'm guessing local busy bodies will get more control. This is just a potential problem I'm guessing at....no one seems to really know what 'Big Society' means.

I'm not knocking the middle-classes per se.....it's just that I dislike overly aspirational 'keep up with the Jones'' middle-class people.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think I agree with the sentiment of this HT - but just to be Devils Advocate, who wold you rather attempt run things, "aspirational" people, who by definition are positive people who want to make a change, or (for the sake of argument, and to wrongly generalise about people) a bunch of Benefit taking council estate people. Not sure the parallel with the regency society is correct, as they are just negative and intent on stopping things from changing.

Thanks. I'd go for the 'Benefit taking council estate'. I think they'd be more true to the job and have a better grasp of reality.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here